Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 656 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have recently come to New York from Bangladesh and have Masters in Computer Engineering and have years of experience working as a database administrator. My degree has been evaluated and accepted but I am struggling to find a technical job here. I have tried online websites like indeed, monster, dice, etc but haven't received any callback. Can anyone guide me where to search or how to apply to jobs where I can get hired with my foreign experiences? Please help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 04:09 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmiins322 View Post
Hello,

I have recently come to New York from Bangladesh and have Masters in Computer Engineering and have years of experience working as a database administrator. My degree has been evaluated and accepted but I am struggling to find a technical job here. I have tried online websites like indeed, monster, dice, etc but haven't received any callback. Can anyone guide me where to search or how to apply to jobs where I can get hired with my foreign experiences? Please help me out.
Check out the top H1B hiring companies and apply directly. They are the typical H1B lowest bidders that supply contractors to the Fortune 500.

Some examples: https://www.epi.org/blog/top-10-h-1b...housands-jobs/

If you already applied at those companies, you may not be good enough. There are tons of people trying to get into America.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:00 PM

464 posts, read 287,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmiins322 View Post
Hello,

Yeah, I bet it is difficult...

You see, a large piece of our industries have been farmed out to places like... Bangladesh...

And oh my gawd, those "online" job searches are like playing the lotto..

Contrary to popular belief, there is a glut of technical people in this country, and has been since the late 70s...

That's why some of these "high tech" jobs pay so little.

I used to see the ads in the 70s: "Get a rewarding career in high tech electronics, don't let the future PASS YOU BY!"

The problem was, I saw the ad, and so did a lot of others, and for my time as an electronic tech, about ten years, I was always underpaid.

Not trying to be discouraging, and I'm sure things have changed since then (35 years ago) but I bet it's a lot the same as well, especially when I look at current ads for employment and see they are paying just a little better than back in the 1980s...

Go into business for yourself, I started my own company in my early 40s and by my mid-50s I was very comfortably retired.

Thx

Old 06-02-2019, 09:52 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
One more thing. DBAs positions are in a long term downward trend, as companies move their data to the Cloud. The job opportunities are shrinking, as the work is more centralized to a few companies.

It leaves us with too many DBAs chasing the same opportunities. There's a big demand for analytics from the database, as the analytics work closely with the business units. You would probably have better luck in any other country than the USA.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:01 PM

732 posts, read 969,394 times
How about some big hospital system or something along those lines?

Old 06-02-2019, 02:53 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx-1138 View Post

Contrary to popular belief, there is a glut of technical people in this country, and has been since the late 70s...

That's why some of these "high tech" jobs pay so little.
Then why am I being contacted by recruiters several times a week for six-figure jobs if there is a glut of technical people, if it pays so little?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:30 PM

53 posts, read 196,928 times
Welcome! I'm not sure where you've been applying, but it can be challenging to get out-of-state jobs. If your resume states 'NY' for your address, I would start by applying locally in NYC. I would also make sure you have a statement on your resume saying you are legally allowed to work in the US (assuming that's the case). While I'm not in HR, I can imagine at least some of your applications are rejected if it's not clear you have the proper visa.

Another thought is you could try to find Bangladeshi companies with a site located in the US or US companies with strong business ties to Bangladesh and reach out directly for openings. They would likely be more familiar with, and valuing of, your background.

Lastly, using LinkedIn could be a helpful tool to join industry groups and connect with prospective companies to get frequent updates on new positions that are posted. I've found there are a lot of recruiters on that site so it can't hurt to set up a profile, add a professional picture, and begin engaging with others on the site.

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2019, 05:13 PM

914 posts, read 643,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Then why am I being contacted by recruiters several times a week for six-figure jobs if there is a glut of technical people, if it pays so little?

what? You believe those cold callers? lol

you are dreaming. they are usually from another country trying to learn from you.

Trust me, I get emails and calls frequently even though I haven't had to look for work in years. They are cold calling from a list they bought from Career Builder, Monster, etc...

You will probably say that is how you got your current/prev job, don't bother, because I'm not buying. I've been in the IT business for a while. Those "head-hunters" have been around for years and just trying to get more information on you. It's worse today than before. They used to be legit, and I'm sure there are some, but those few don't need you as badly as the others.

Last edited by settled00; 06-02-2019 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 06-02-2019, 05:30 PM

464 posts, read 287,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post

Well how come the OP isn't?

"If you've ever spent hours (and hours!) filling out online job applications, then you know how tedious and confusing they can be. Especially, when you never hear a word from the employer. You sit around, waiting for an email or a phone call, wondering if your application even got seen. Well, the depressing truth is, it probably didn't. Here's why..."

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/depre...-j-t-o-donnell

Thx

Old 06-02-2019, 06:44 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
How about some big hospital system or something along those lines?
Hospital databases often use MUMPS, so regular DBA skills would be useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment