Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 08:31 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,289,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Because he wants a reasonable salary?

is 6 figures reasonable for someone with 4 years experience and a bachelor's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 08:33 AM

24 posts, read 13,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Yes!

Old 06-08-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylentvoyce View Post
Man... I was just starting to feel so accomplished to reach 60K after nearly 10 years in my field...

No stress, you'll get there. Some people just catch the tide at the right time. Everybody in my family makes more than me, and I'm the oldest sibling and have the most training and education.
If that is what you were hoping for, then you should feel accomplished. I was making half of what I am making now 3 years ago and have been constantly applying, asking for the max compensation at every turn. Got a lot of rejections and of course a few offers.

Like I said previously, I had a recruiter contact me from a fortune 200 company and the max compensation for the role was 20k less for exact same type of work. The exact same type of work. Companies need to PAY UP.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
is 6 figures reasonable for someone with 4 years experience and a bachelor's?
Is 160k reasonable for someone with 10 years experience and a bachelor's?

Old 06-08-2019, 08:53 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X7L9 View Post
Is 160k reasonable for someone with 10 years experience and a bachelor's?
I don't think its reasonable for anyone when most Americans are sweating it out for less than half that, including people with decades of experience or MS's and Ph.D's. Of course there are high cost areas that might be exceptions but nobody is forcing anyone to live there.

But that's really another topic.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:08 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
I think part of the problem, or a big part of the problem is , many people don't want to put in the work or the time to get to the point of making that kind of money.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:27 AM

607 posts, read 978,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I think part of the problem, or a big part of the problem is , many people don't want to put in the work or the time to get to the point of making that kind of money.
This is true. People will find out what a job at company x pays but don't put in the work to get paid a similar figure at their current job or another company.

So many people focus on an industry instead of the opportunity. I couldn't care less what industry an opportunity is in, I want to know if the opportunity can provide what I want.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:10 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X7L9 View Post
I'm in corporate training and my comp is at 90k. I have 4 years of experience and about to finish my master's.
Corporate training is a cost center (unless you work for a company that sells training classes to corporations.) If I'm a shareholder in the corporation, you do not make me any money. You cost me money. Your existence costs me money. There is very little linkage between you teaching something in the corporate training company and one of your students doing something to make me money - let alone $160K.

Try getting out of a cost center and into a profit center, where you can demonstrate just how much money you could make me. Show me you can design new products to sell for me to make money. Show me you can reengineer existing products so they'll sell more or cost less to build, thereby making me money. Show me you can close deals thereby making me money. Show me you can directly support customers in such a way they are delighted with us and do repeat business, thereby making me money. Show me you can rearrange company business lines in such a way as to save $$$, thereby making me money. Show me you can help keep the company legal in all of its operations, thereby avoiding litigation expense and costly fines & awards, thereby making me more money. Show me you can plan our operations in such a way as to minimize the income tax burden we incur, thereby making me more money. Show me a strategic trend I'm missing or competitive threat I don't see together with tactics on how to deal with them, thereby making me money.

Figure out how to make earn your employer $400K and watch your compensation get a big bump.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 06-08-2019 at 11:27 AM..

Old 06-08-2019, 11:12 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
First, don't believe everything you read online!
I beg to differ.

Quote:
"Everything on the Internet is True." -- Abraham Lincoln

Old 06-08-2019, 12:39 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Something that always makes me wonder is. What do people consider great money for the work and effort they put in?
I mean. I see people on here claim they make 6 figures. Then it comes out that they are putting in tons of overtime in order to make that 6 figures. Not only that, but they also have advanced degrees and most likely high student debt.
So is it really that great?
So...is it worth it to spend 50 hours or more a week, everyday of the week, at work to get that extra? Maybe to your family it is and that is great.
So to the OP. Just because people claim they make so much money, consider what they need to do to get there. If somebody says my base pay is a 100k, not including OT's or other benefits such as bonuses etc..that I think is more uncommon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment