Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 11:49 AM

9,383 posts, read 8,354,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
I have never worked anyplace (in the professional world, maybe back in college or something though) that did not have more than enough time off. Most places these days have PTO, and no cause or answers needed as to why you are taking off. Why do we need designated sick days? Wouldn't it be more beneficial in such a small office to know who was going to be here and who wasn't?

Since you asked, here is my time off situation, this year, for example:

One day in Jan for a colonoscopy- hopefully this counts as a sick day, but who the hell knows?

One day in March for visiting my dad over a weekend. Since it is an 8 hr drive to see my elderly father, that was a travel day on each end, and only ONE day to actually spend time with him. He was crushed

Two more days in March surrounding the weekend so I could help my daughter move. I wouldn't ordinarily do that, but she was moving a far distance and over snowy treacherous mountains, and is too young to even rent an appropriate vehicle.

One day, July 5, in order to take a 4 day weekend, July 3-7 to see 5 colleges across the sate of California. I will be totally exhausted because I have to cram it all in, plus pay 3 times the price that it should be because holiday weekend, and all of this because of my lack of time off!

4 days for girls trip my group paid for last year, so I will lose all $$ if I back out, plus I don't want to.

We are now up to either 8 or 9 of 10 days off, depending on that first one. That means, no seeing my dad any more (who knows how much longer I have with him), only one day for my anniversary, and no time off at holiday time (which is super slow in my industry and I will be just sitting here). Since it also means not seeing my daughter again for any significant time, YES, I am calling in sick for her birthday. Last year I hardly saw her on her visit to Texas, and she was crushed. I also called in sick in April in order to take my youngest to get her drivers license (an all day event where I live).

I really don't see what more I can do to plan. I could leave the girls trip early, which is still an option, but there again, like the college trip, I would be paying 3x more money than I need to in order to leave early.
This all sounds like you are trying to make excuses for you not understanding their policy up front. You took the job so you have to deal with their policies now, period, end of story. If you want more vacation time, find another employer who offers it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 11:53 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Quote:

What would you do??

Well, I wouldn't lie like you are planning on doing. And, if I felt like there was not enough vacation days given, I would get another job. And by the way you describe how you really don't have any work to do, you might be looking for a new job sooner than you think.

Quote:

I sit here every day, on CD, shopping, etc, because I have completed all my work (right now I am caught up until August!)

You have a very "put upon" attitude. Two weeks of vacation is very reasonable.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:59 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Quote:
My daughter is flying in for her 21st birthday next week, and I already plan to call in sick that day so I can spend her very important birthday with her,

Dear lord...."very important"?? She can legally drink now; that's it. You two gonna get bombed together all day? Better watch out, you may need another sick day for your hangover.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:40 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,558 times
Two weeks is way too little. I would never take a job with less than four weeks PTO. So on that note I would be actively looking for another job. In the meantime I would call in sick for some of the days you need...it may be a mental health day but those are still considered sick days. Do not post anything you do on that day on social media or talk about it at work. Not that it’s their business but some people will grown down upon this. Where I am people take sick days for mental health and it’s bit a big deal.

Alternatively do half days. Can you do a half day on a Friday or Monday to cover weekends?

Old 06-13-2019, 01:05 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,528,085 times
Sick days are for actually being sick & medical like going to dentist, doctor appts. People who call in sick for long weekends or Monday morning hangovers are not employees I want to have.

If you don't like the terms & can't get ones you do like, you should go get a job with ones you do like.
Your position sounds like it should be part-time anyway or have additional responsibilities--- they are presently paying you while you fool around online. Maybe you should request that you be employed half days or 2 1/2 dsys a week.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:15 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,239,198 times
Last couple jobs have been of the "unlimited" PTO sort where they didn't much care why you took off as long as you got your job done. But prior to that using sick time for a 'mental health day' was endorsed even directly by the HR folks.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:41 PM

1,074 posts, read 640,640 times
Thanks everyone.
I do need to sit tight for a minute because my youngest is still in HS. I want to be able to look (somewhat) nationwide when I do look.

True that no one takes time off, really. The family, which is most people here, really don't work much (though they are allegedly "full time"). They kind of come and go as they please day-to-day, but don't take any real vacations. One son just got married, so everyone was out for 2 days, but that is really the only time I can think of.
The other two non-family ladies have their entire families locally, so no travel there, and both hate to fly, have absolutely no aspirations to go anywhere or see anything.
One lady was in the office one day and collapsed, carried out on a stretcher, and back at work the next day. She looked awful and said she wanted to call in but alleges "she had too much to do". Wait, what?

That's a lot of history and set ways to battle. He (owner) knows how I feel, so I suppose if he wants to give me any compensation for the millions I have generated for him over the last couple of years, he will know what I want!
Meanwhile, the plan is, I will just keep asking for time off, and if I go over a little, I really don't think he will notice. Half the time I am not sure he really knows who is here and who isn't.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:19 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone.
I do need to sit tight for a minute because my youngest is still in HS. I want to be able to look (somewhat) nationwide when I do look.

True that no one takes time off, really. The family, which is most people here, really don't work much (though they are allegedly "full time"). They kind of come and go as they please day-to-day, but don't take any real vacations. One son just got married, so everyone was out for 2 days, but that is really the only time I can think of.
The other two non-family ladies have their entire families locally, so no travel there, and both hate to fly, have absolutely no aspirations to go anywhere or see anything.
One lady was in the office one day and collapsed, carried out on a stretcher, and back at work the next day. She looked awful and said she wanted to call in but alleges "she had too much to do". Wait, what?

That's a lot of history and set ways to battle. He (owner) knows how I feel, so I suppose if he wants to give me any compensation for the millions I have generated for him over the last couple of years, he will know what I want!
Meanwhile, the plan is, I will just keep asking for time off, and if I go over a little, I really don't think he will notice. Half the time I am not sure he really knows who is here and who isn't.
Why not try to work extra on the day you are there or take off partial days? I don’t understand why some of these activities need a full day. Why do you need a full day to spend with your daughter on her 21st birthday? Is she really going to be up at the crack of dawn? Why not go in for a half day, get home at lunchtime, and spend the rest of the day with her? It’s the same with your anniversary. If you want to go out for the weekend and leave Sunday morning, why not come in for the afternoon on Monday? It sounds like the office is flexible so it could be easy to make up four hours the rest of the week. This has been pretty common most of the places I’ve worked.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:25 PM

455 posts, read 388,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Two weeks is way too little. I would never take a job with less than four weeks PTO. So on that note I would be actively looking for another job. In the meantime I would call in sick for some of the days you need...it may be a mental health day but those are still considered sick days. Do not post anything you do on that day on social media or talk about it at work. Not that it’s their business but some people will grown down upon this. Where I am people take sick days for mental health and it’s bit a big deal.

Alternatively do half days. Can you do a half day on a Friday or Monday to cover weekends?
I really hope you are not my coworker whom I have to pick up the slack for your mental health days. This is precisely why employers start pulling back on the strings because of these types of abuses, and you actually are encouraging lying and how to get away with it. Unbelievable.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:44 PM

1,074 posts, read 640,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Why not try to work extra on the day you are there or take off partial days? I don’t understand why some of these activities need a full day. Why do you need a full day to spend with your daughter on her 21st birthday? Is she really going to be up at the crack of dawn? Why not go in for a half day, get home at lunchtime, and spend the rest of the day with her? It’s the same with your anniversary. If you want to go out for the weekend and leave Sunday morning, why not come in for the afternoon on Monday? It sounds like the office is flexible so it could be easy to make up four hours the rest of the week. This has been pretty common most of the places I’ve worked.
It's funny how people on CD ask things like I am too dumb to consider them myself (sorry to direct it at you, but it is EVERYONE, over and over)
Her flight gets in on her bday at 9:30. Dad/hubby works nights and sleeps days so he can't pick her up. Yes, I have heard of uber, but I think that's sh**y. She paid to fly HOME on her 21st bday to see us (When I turned 21, I would've stayed in Denver with my friends- screw my family), and then for no one to be there to pick her up, just uber home to dad sleeping? If I pick her up at 9:30 and bring her home I would get to my job at the time I would need to leave for a half day!

Half day on anny is a possibility depending on cost of flights on Monday morning- half day is what I did last anny.

On "make up hours" that was one of the MANY negotiating tactics I tried- I believe it came right before the one about exchanging 2 sick days for 1 vacation day. Answer was no.

I also have not had a well woman exam, mammogram, dental appointment, have a thing on my skin that really needs to be looked at, eye exam, none of it for years now for the same reason. All my doctors are 40 minute drive from here on "my side of town" so cannot just take a lunch to do them either.

But here I am...sitting at my desk, with work finished until August, and playing on CD...but GOD FORBID I should have one extra day off a year. GOD FORBID!

FWIW- my last job was very hard and had a lot of work. They gave ample time off- you hardly even had to ask- whatever you needed was fine. I got to see all basketball games and concerts, and everything, and then I could finish up my work at home later or on weekends. Not an option here. I asked the IT guy who said "yes you could easily be online at home and get work done" so everything is ready to go, but just not allowed. I am a hard core rule follower, but when the rules just have zero basis, it is hard to stomach. Especially when people are getting older and I am missing things and people I want to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment