Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 07:15 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
First step towards the exit door is excessive use of leave
This is ILLEGAL.

You're entitled by LAW to use ALL of your accrued leave and not be discriminated against for it or discouraged from using it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 07:24 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,324,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Where are your metrics that supports your claim that 'so many employees call in "sick" so much'? If claim there is a problem that needs a solution, demonstrate there is actually a problem.

I've been in the work force for years at different companies and don't remember any discussions showing a concern for the number of sick days employees were taking, nor did I ever see it being a problem. So if you want to be taken seriously here, you need to show real metrics that has this break-down by industry, cause I've not seen a problem. I just see it being discussed on C-D.
You don't remember or have not seen a problem at your workplace does not mean it does not happen somewhere else.

You want the metric, here's the link: Increased Number of Workers Calling In Sick When They Aren't, Finds CareerBuilder's Annual Survey - Nov 16, 2017

Is 40% (in the survey) not much?

Well, the lazy, pretending, tricky ones always have their reasons or excuses to call in sick and are always against the hard-working and honest ones.

Many people here can say "it's none of your business". It is everybody's business when those lazy and tricky ones want to take a "sick" day or two, and others have do more and more extra work. It's very tiresome and sickening.

Some managers don't care too because they call in sick more than some employees; and/or they are weak, they don't know how to deal with those lazy and tricky ones, and they just put the work on the ones who work hard and don't call in sick. And those managers cause more employees to call in sick.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:04 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
I've had a job where somebody said he's taking tomorrow off. Reason? Mental health day.
Another guy got reprimanded because management found out that he went on a business trip when he really needed more time to recover after surgery.
Damn I miss those types places to work for
On a related note, I hope the people who feel compelled to come in to work b/c of management's policies aren't handling food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
You don't remember or have not seen a problem at your workplace does not mean it does not happen somewhere else.

You want the metric, here's the link: Increased Number of Workers Calling In Sick When They Aren't, Finds CareerBuilder's Annual Survey - Nov 16, 2017

Is 40% (in the survey) not much?

Well, the lazy, pretending, tricky ones always have their reasons or excuses to call in sick and are always against the hard-working and honest ones.

Many people here can say "it's none of your business". It is everybody's business when those lazy and tricky ones want to take a "sick" day or two, and others have do more and more extra work. It's very tiresome and sickening.

Some managers don't care too because they call in sick more than some employees; and/or they are weak, they don't know how to deal with those lazy and tricky ones, and they just put the work on the ones who work hard and don't call in sick. And those managers cause more employees to call in sick.
If a business is in trouble because employees are getting sick, than that's just life. People get sick. If taking excessive leave is causing issues, then they probably weren't great employees to begin with, and it's no different than any other excuse. That said, if employees are able to take excessive sick days, a company should revisit their policies, and ensure their work environment is decent.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:34 AM

6,808 posts, read 4,246,943 times
The idea of a set number of sick days per year always struck me as weird. How can people anticipate sickness? It seems even sillier to put it in the same pot as other PTO given that again you cant vacation plan around potentially catching a virus in November.

In many European countries you get sick you stay home. After 2 days off you need to go to the doctor to get proof you are sick. Seems sensible enough.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:11 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
On a related note, I hope the people who feel compelled to come in to work b/c of management's policies aren't handling food.
Sadly, many are- in a lot of low-wage jobs if you don't work you don't get paid. DH, who was older and had chronic health issues, once came down with a cold that morphed into pneumonia when we came back from Spain- we'd bought duty-free liquor at Madrid airport and the guy at the sales counter was coughing and sneezing. We tried to pay at another counter; they sent us back to him. We washed our hands immediately after but it didn't help DH.

I'm retired now but have mixed feelings about the PTO Bank. I was blessed with extraordinarily good health and can probably count on one hand the number of times I was out for even 3 successive days. The only longer absence was after DS was born and even then I came in for a meeting 3 weeks postpartum. Only my last employer allowed carryover of unused sick days and it was a limited number, so I left a TON of sick days on the table every year. None paid you for unused sick days when you left, either.

BUT.... let's say you have 15 days of PTO for the calendar year. You book a family trip for August that will use up 7 of them. Then, during the year, Stuff happens- the kids get sick, you get sick, you used a day or two of PTO for long weekend trips... and by the time August rolls around you don't have enough days left- or you do, but you come back with the flu and are out of PTO. Now what- no pay for the days you're out?

I'd just find it very hard to decide at the beginning of each year how to divide my PTO into vacation time vs. "other", with the latter being so unpredictable.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:38 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Why do people feel that they are entitled to be paid for time not worked? The set sick leave is not to say you can only be out sick that many days but that is how many days the company is willing to pay for service not received. A job is a two way contract - you give service and you receive pay. Would you provide your services if you were not receiving the pay?

Old 06-21-2019, 08:35 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
There's only 5 sick days a year for the average job.

Stop making this into a big deal.
Exactly. I don't care if Tammie has the flu or just needed a day off, none of my business.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:02 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Why do people feel that they are entitled to be paid for time not worked? The set sick leave is not to say you can only be out sick that many days but that is how many days the company is willing to pay for service not received. A job is a two way contract - you give service and you receive pay. Would you provide your services if you were not receiving the pay?
This is a reason why employees come to work sick.

The set sick leave may or may not be enough for each individual employee based on their circumstances.

So the employee comes to work sick so they can get paid.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:12 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Yeah, you know what, I've seen people "play hooky", but you know what I see a lot MORE often? People coming in sick because they don't want to use up the PTO that they have scheduled for vacation, they don't want to get written up, or they don't want to fall behind at work. Those of us who are lucky enough to get sick days or unscheduled PTO get a handful of days for the year. A doctor's note isn't going to keep you from getting written up, and a lot of illnesses are short in duration. People come to work sick because they don't know if something even worse is going to happen later in the year that they will need to time for. I've seen people puking at their desks into a wastecan. I've had a girl come in with a UTI and I've had someone else come in with kidney stones trying to suffer without medication. Yet when you are present at work you are expected to be at 100%. Quite frankly, if that person is not your direct report, it is none of your business. Let that person's manager handle it. Yeah, it's sucks when someone is out and there is more work for everyone else, but seriously, stay in your lane. You cannot be expected to be privy to 100% of the details of what is going on in someone's life, nor should you. This is especially apparent with medical conditions that aren't readily visible to other people. Plus, if you go complaining about what someone else is doing or not doing, it looks like you aren't busy enough yourself if you have time to worry about other people's business.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:32 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
There's only 5 sick days a year for the average job.

Stop making this into a big deal.
That's what we get. Sick day use, for better or worse, is actually factored into our annual reviews, so some employees try to avoid using theirs at all costs. So long as there was room for someone to request a vacation day (calendar not full) they will approve someone's request to use vacation or a personal day in lieu of using a sick day, without having to provide notice. Woks out for them, effectively reducing the paid days off by up to 5 days per year per employee, and their own volition!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment