Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 08:01 PM

1,166 posts, read 877,028 times

Advertisements

I've gotten quite a bit of flack over my years of posting here because I have an attitude towards my employer that few share.

I don't need them, and I don't have to deal with their BS. Sure, I've got to pick my battles, but if I feel strongly enough about something I'm willing to walk out and quit over it at a moments notice. I've said it before, but either the BS goes, or I do.

And every time I've made that decision it's worked out in my favor and I've been better off because of it.

Like now, I've got a great job with a great boss that lets me do things the way I want as long as the work gets done, actually pays me fairly for my time, and doesn't expect me to work myself to death day in and day out without so much as a thanks.

My point, don't listen to these people that tell you to "Stop whining" or "Just deal with it" or any other such nonsense, because that's exactly what it is. YOU have the power to change your situation, don't feel shackled to a job, and most importantly, don't listen to people who think that the boss, or person in charge is always right, because they aren't.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 09:40 PM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Most people have family and financial obligations that prevent them from saying “I’m outta here” and walking out the door whenever they get pi**ed off. If a person is truly miserable at work, it’s much better to find a new job first, and then quit the old one.

I’ve always subscribed to the theory that the person who signs the paychecks gets to make the rules.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:01 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,324,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I've gotten quite a bit of flack over my years of posting here because I have an attitude towards my employer that few share.

I don't need them, and I don't have to deal with their BS. Sure, I've got to pick my battles, but if I feel strongly enough about something I'm willing to walk out and quit over it at a moments notice. I've said it before, but either the BS goes, or I do.

And every time I've made that decision it's worked out in my favor and I've been better off because of it.

Like now, I've got a great job with a great boss that lets me do things the way I want as long as the work gets done, actually pays me fairly for my time, and doesn't expect me to work myself to death day in and day out without so much as a thanks.

My point, don't listen to these people that tell you to "Stop whining" or "Just deal with it" or any other such nonsense, because that's exactly what it is. YOU have the power to change your situation, don't feel shackled to a job, and most importantly, don't listen to people who think that the boss, or person in charge is always right, because they aren't.

Thoughts?
Very good. Congratulations! I'm with you.

Some people are like bullies in real life and in the forums on the internet. When they don't hear what they don't want to hear, they just want to shut you up.

In the real world and at the workplace, when you are nice and quiet, many people want to take advantage of you, many co-workers and managers think you are easy to be manipulated; they want and try to make you to do what they want you to do for their advantages. And if you don't speak up, they make you to do more and more. That's the time you feel enough is enough, and even how nice you are, you have to speak up. When you know yourself you are smart and you have inner strength, you know where to go and whom to talk to that can help you, things will be better.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 06-25-2019 at 11:24 PM..

Old 06-26-2019, 12:28 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
OP you're linking two things that are not mutually exclusive.

1) Each situation, employer, and employee is different.

2)Telling a person to stop whining is NOT the same as saying don't do something to change your situation.

So telling a person to "Stop whining" or "Just deal with it" does not mean the person doesn't have the power to change the situation.

As a matter of fact I think most posts here always point out that a person IS NOT shackled to a job, and point out that the person actually DOES have the power/ability to leave if they chose to. Most of the time it's just a matter of how and when a person leaves. Sometimes depending on the situation, rarely, a person IS advised to quit. (Depending on their financial situation and family obligations, of course.)

Old 06-26-2019, 06:28 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,096 times
OP, I agree with you about leaving if you're unhappy, but I'd never voluntarily do it without an offer lined up elsewhere (which is what you're suggesting, unless I'm misunderstanding your post). Get the offer from the next company, then take your stand against the current one.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:48 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
Just deal with it does not mean don't do anything, it means to figure it out and handle it. It's up to YOU how you "deal with it" ex: just quitting or finding another job first, etc.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:22 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I've gotten quite a bit of flack over my years of posting here
because I have an attitude towards my employer that few share.

Thoughts?
That's called whining. Stop it.
Fix it. Leave it. Suck it up. Choose.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
OP, aren't you an auto mechanic? The expectations around turnover and having multiple jobs over a short period of time are COMPLETELY different than expectations around white collar work.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:24 AM

1,166 posts, read 877,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's called whining. Stop it.
Fix it. Leave it. Suck it up. Choose.
You sound like my old boss. Not willing to hear anyone out and quick to dismiss any complaint, valid or not as mere whining.

And if you were my boss, I’d do the same thing I did to him: tell you to pound salt and leave. I don’t have to put up with a dismissive attitude from anyone, nor will I. Even if you don’t agree, I’ll respect you if you’ll hear me out. But to just dismiss me offhand like that, nope, not dealing with it. I’ll go work for someone who respects me, like where I work now.

I don’t believe in “suck it up”, I believe in standing up for yourself and being willing to walk away if it means sticking to your principles.

Seriously though, are there no valid complaints ever? Or is it all just whining?

Old 06-26-2019, 08:26 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
I haven't had a boss since 2009 and now own my own company. There is no other way to escape the pitfalls of an employee/employer relationship. Sure, fight for your rights, but remember in the eyes of management your griping can affect your future negatively as construed as not a team player. It sucks for sure, but that's like in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment