Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2019, 01:40 AM

144 posts, read 129,445 times

Advertisements

I work at a growing branch in a small/medium-sized company. In my job position, I am the most experienced at our branch and am the only one qualified to handle every template we have. Amongst the entire company, I am the one asked to work our major functions in my role. My bosses have written about my high performance and I'm known for being one of the more optimistic people in the office. I certainly have their trust when taking on new projects.

Many of us are freelancers who then get promoted to full-time. With all I mentioned in the earlier paragraph, I just found out the other freelancers got bumped up to full-time before I did. Which is a little bit of a head-scratcher since my supervisor had written I am the "best in the business" at my role. I got promoted to full-time last week, a day after we had a sudden situation pop up at work and none of the other temps in my role (or full-timers for that matter) could execute what I do regularly.

I know that, at the end of the day, I got what I wanted. But I feel like management wasn't sold on me being converted to full-time despite my reviews. Is it a money thing (we all get raises when promoted to full-time, and my OT hours make for a nice payday)? Is it a position thing (some freelancers work in different roles)? Am I right to be a little wary of upper management as a result? Months ago, management told me that I was getting the first full-time spot that opened up and that it was in the works. Obviously, that was a lie.

Last edited by LivingInAmerica; 06-30-2019 at 01:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 02:07 AM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInAmerica View Post
I work at a growing branch in a small/medium-sized company. In my job position, I am the most experienced at our branch and am the only one qualified to handle every template we have. Amongst the entire company, I am the one asked to work our major functions in my role. My bosses have written about my high performance and I'm known for being one of the more optimistic people in the office. I certainly have their trust when taking on new projects.

Many of us are freelancers who then get promoted to full-time. With all I mentioned in the earlier paragraph, I just found out the other freelancers got bumped up to full-time before I did. Which is a little bit of a head-scratcher since my supervisor had written I am the "best in the business" at my role. I got promoted to full-time last week, a day after we had a sudden situation pop up at work and none of the other temps in my role (or full-timers for that matter) could execute what I do regularly.

I know that, at the end of the day, I got what I wanted. But I feel like management wasn't sold on me being converted to full-time despite my reviews. Is it a money thing (we all get raises when promoted to full-time, and my OT hours make for a nice payday)? Is it a position thing (some freelancers work in different roles)? Am I right to be a little wary of upper management as a result? Months ago, management told me that I was getting the first full-time spot that opened up and that it was in the works. Obviously, that was a lie.
Management in a private company can do what they want. Have those "other freelancers" worked longer at the company than you or did all of you start at the same time? Maybe there is a policy you are not aware of about honoring seniority. Maybe the other full times spots were already destined for these other workers because they had more time in the job than you did. Once they were bumped to full time and another full time spot opened, it was yours.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:28 AM

144 posts, read 129,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Management in a private company can do what they want. Have those "other freelancers" worked longer at the company than you or did all of you start at the same time? Maybe there is a policy you are not aware of about honoring seniority. Maybe the other full times spots were already destined for these other workers because they had more time in the job than you did. Once they were bumped to full time and another full time spot opened, it was yours.
My post refers to coworkers/other freelancers who began around the same time as I did and are not senior to me. Perhaps I am more sensitive to this because of a loosely similar situation at a previous company where I worked - we were all full-time, but I got passed over for promotions for nothing that had to do with my job performance or bi-annual reviews. But that was a major corporation with loads of company politics - my current branch isn't big enough for any real politics.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:02 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,497 times
Speak up! Or move on......

Old 06-30-2019, 06:37 AM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
The never ending 'issues' with the job.

Time to look for greener pastures.

How do I leverage this situation?

How does a new boss figure out which employees are more relied upon?

How to make boss aware I need help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment