Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 01:12 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,532,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Yes, basically for a few reasons. They already know the current salary of the internal, and it could be detrimental if the internal turns down a promotion (even if the pay bump is low). It might show that he or she is not eager. Thus the new salary is usually just 7-10% higher than the old.

But as an external, you have leverage. You don't need to state your current pay, and in the case that they contacted you, you know they need you more than you need them. And also, I think there's some mysterious allure to the unknown candidate, that maybe they will be a rockstar (while internal Bob is a rockstar, he's predictable).

Most companies want change agents, and it's easier to view an outsider as having better ideas for how to change things.

Not saying I agree with it, but you've gotta play the game. External moves probably net a 10-40% increase, while internal is more like 5-10%?
Exactly. It's all a game. You can complain about it or you can learn to play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 01:54 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,637,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Its a good idea If you're in a major metropolitan area where jobs are plentiful. Not everyone has this option though. Eventually you'll be labeled as a "job hopper" sooner or later in many places
My response to any "job hopper" label is companies do not offer pensions anymore, so I need to look out for myself. I see no reason to stay at any company for any extended period of time since the only major benefit you receive now is the size of your paycheck. Beside, companies do not seem to care when they layoff employees.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:31 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,068,066 times
It’s called “salary compression”. HR teed me up for a 13% raise in 2017 after they studied wages for employees in my job function. I didn’t particularly feel underpaid and it happened only about two months before I could have retired. I suppose part of it could have been a CYA move to prevent me from claiming that my salary hadn’t been adjusted due to my age.

I think that if you have Glassdoor data or industry data, you have a much better chance of success. Good luck to you!

Old 11-27-2019, 07:23 AM

5,796 posts, read 3,234,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Do you keep track of what you do above and beyond what you're asked, so that you have proof you deserve a raise?

Two promotions without a raise. Doesn't that answer your question? You are running true to form.

Last edited by Tonyafd; 11-27-2019 at 07:37 AM..

Old 11-27-2019, 07:34 AM

5,796 posts, read 3,234,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
A 10% adjustment is what I’d ask for based upon your logic.

If they balk time to leave.
Quote:
I would tend to agree with the above. But moreso you have to ask why you're so underpaid? Meaning, do you want to work for this company long term? If they do give you 10%, would that keep you happy for the next few years?

As someone who's switched jobs every 2-3 years, I HATE HATE HATE that it's near the only method for keeping up with market pay. I say this without arrogance.....I know for a fact that my similar titled peers on my team make a decent amount less than me, and it's because they rose up through the ranks at the company (vs. coming in from the outside).

The highest yearly merit increase I've ever received was 2.5%. During the great recession it was 0%. But in general, I've just got to question a company that isn't going to give you yearly increases when the market otherwise will?

Since you're willing to have the conversation, if it were me I might have the 10% conversation. If you don't get it, you know it's time to leave. If you do get it, stay a year and leverage it for higher pay elsewhere.

This is solid advice. Old habits are hard to break and this company seems to be willing to take advantage of you.

If you do decide to leave:
1. Your resume should not have the name of your current company. A detailed description of what you do should be sufficient.
2. Head hunters should be avoided where possible.
3. Use indeed.com and make sure that you are sending your resume to a bona fide company and not a search firm. A search firm will plaster your resume all over creation.
4. Research the company on Glass door. Dig through their site to reveal the truth.

Old 11-27-2019, 01:53 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,924,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Two promotions without a raise. Doesn't that answer your question? You are running true to form.
No, it doesn't. My question was if OP has kept track of what they are doing above and beyond what was asked to prove they deserve a raise. I assume OP has a written list of their accomplishments over the months/years showing they are doing more than they are asked. When going for a promotion or raise, written documentation like that is how you prove you deserve it.

OP was never promoted, if they didn't get a raise with it. They were moved to another lateral job.

Old 11-29-2019, 05:07 AM

61 posts, read 31,773 times
Quote:
Yes, basically for a few reasons. They already know the current salary of the internal, and it could be detrimental if the internal turns down a promotion (even if the pay bump is low). It might show that he or she is not eager. Thus the new salary is usually just 7-10% higher than the old.

But as an external, you have leverage. You don't need to state your current pay, and in the case that they contacted you, you know they need you more than you need them. And also, I think there's some mysterious allure to the unknown candidate, that maybe they will be a rockstar (while internal Bob is a rockstar, he's predictable).

Most companies want change agents, and it's easier to view an outsider as having better ideas for how to change things.

Not saying I agree with it, but you've gotta play the game. External moves probably net a 10-40% increase, while internal is more like 5-10%?
I will go with this Nerd suggestion, you are right i agree with you...

Old 11-29-2019, 05:45 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,381,455 times
Default refused to negotiate on benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
I turned it down when they refused to negotiate on benefits.
What benefits were you trying to negotiate?

Things like health plans and 401(k) have plan administrators and they can't make a simple allowance for you there.

Before you negotiate, you need to know what can be negotiated and what can't. For example, a friend was starting a job where they wouldn't allow him to contribute to the 401(k) until after he had been employed there for a reason. It was impossible to negotiate this to allow him into the plan immediately, because that's the way the plan was written and the plan administrator couldn't override it. But they could do a signing bonus, so they did that. If you know what can be negotiated, then you have a much better chance of getting something of equal or better value.

Old 11-29-2019, 06:45 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,462,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
What benefits were you trying to negotiate?

Things like health plans and 401(k) have plan administrators and they can't make a simple allowance for you there.

Before you negotiate, you need to know what can be negotiated and what can't. For example, a friend was starting a job where they wouldn't allow him to contribute to the 401(k) until after he had been employed there for a reason. It was impossible to negotiate this to allow him into the plan immediately, because that's the way the plan was written and the plan administrator couldn't override it. But they could do a signing bonus, so they did that. If you know what can be negotiated, then you have a much better chance of getting something of equal or better value.
In this case it was about vacation and time off. Considering the pay and level of position, the time off and vacation offered was highly restrictive (less then a week vacation for first 18months). This combined by the used car salesman style of the hiring manager meant I turned it down despite a 25% increase in pay. The 401k match was also half my current.

Old 11-29-2019, 06:51 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,462,496 times
To some other questions, yes I have a good idea of my accomplishments and they are easily proved/backed-up. Too another the company has been having a lot of issues with new er workers getting paid more as they have lots of long term workers but recently hired a new group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment