Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:55 AM

82 posts, read 377,738 times

Advertisements

I've been w/ my company for close 3 years making my 1st f/t job outta college.
I've been dedicated to my work since day 1 and i'm always productive and very fast at what I do...
If boss gives me something, i'll do it right away, no hesitaation, no complain. I just do what they say... and I'll do it right away..... almost everything they give me, I finish very quickly...
If the same tasks were given to other co worker, it'd them them days to do it, but me, i do it quickly.........
therefore, i'm bombarded w/ work and still can manage it pretty well........I feel like I'm doing 3 people's job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is my boss taking advantage of me? Boss always say "how can we work w/o you"... Amy is the best, she's the best... oh, give it to amy, she can do it, oh, ask Amy, she can help you, give Amy a call, she can help you, yedda yedda yedda............

and at my year end review, I only get a $3,000 raise?! FYI, I only make $38,000/year...
should I just slow down and take my sweet time or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 10:00 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
$3000 a year raise is wonderful! It may not feel like it; but the rule of thumb in business is a 4% raise. You got almost double that. It's very frustrating when you first start off.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:05 AM

82 posts, read 377,738 times
like if one of the receptionist is out, i gotta sit at her desk and if one of the ladies is backed up, i gotta help her! who helps me when i'm backedup?!! NOBODY! everyone always comes to ME! hellooooooooooo, i'm an account executive, NOT A RECEPTIONIST!!! the other day, this lady didn't feel good and didn't get much work done and the next morning, boss came to me and said "amy, can u please help XXX out, she wasn't feeeling good ytesterday and work is backed up?"
wth?! it's her job, and she should be full responsible for it! NOT ME!! feeling not good & not getting work done is NOT AN EXCUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i gotta help her???????????????????? wtf!

Old 05-09-2008, 10:16 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,555,611 times
I'm sorta in the same boat. I orginally was hired as the word processor for a department that creates reports from reviews of state agencies. I showed my skills and was promoted to copy editor. In this same department is three admin assistants. To this day, I get asked by everyone to type this letter or mail this or file this. I am not an admin! The reason I get asked: "Well, I don't want to give it to so and so, because they (a) can't type accurately, (b) take too long, (c) can't follow instructions, or (d) is a complete idiot." Three pieces of dead wood just taking up space, while I work my butt off. And yes, they are actually complete idiots. How they made it through the interview process, I'll never know.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:52 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Accepting every request you are asked to do is not necessarily a good trait in a worker. No one has an unlimited capacity for work and inevitably something will suffer if you have too many plates spinning at once. Generally speaking workers in this position tend to put in lots of overtime to keep up, and usually end up either burnt out or the victim of a critical mistake.

It's very important for you to learn how to manage the expectations others have of you. If you respond immediately to everything, people will expect an immediate response. In general, most people do not expect immediate turnarounds and are willing to accept a reasonable amount of time for a deliverable. As you have seen, management does not necessarily place a high value your quick responses and turnarounds and that is reflected in your compensation.

Learn to manage your time and manage the expectations others have on it. Communicate clearly when you will deliver, and stick to those deliverable dates. Learn prioritize your workload and negotiate with your 'customer' - help them understand that rushing a task for them means someone else's task has to get dropped. This may be the most important skill you learn in the world of work.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:53 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
A 7.9 percent raise is pretty good, no matter what kind of work you do. If you're doing a lot of your company, maybe you could ask for some other perks along with a raise. For example, try to convince them that you could use a cell phone in case they need to get in touch with you and ask for them to cover the bill.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:25 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,807 times
You sound like me a looooong time ago...lesson learned. The more I did, the more work I got and the more time off Susie next to me got. Not fair so I stopped doing that. I learned to be "less" efficient with my time but still turned in things in a timely fashion. I think your raise is pretty nice, that is almost $300 more a month, excellent. Is that $38k after the raise or before??? So in three years, how much has your salary risen?
I also learned that you do better if you start at a great salary with a company. So if you were to leave for another company you'd demand more money like in the high 40's and they may give you the mid 40's which is quite nice, although now with the current economy that may not be a wise move.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:19 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
I always recommend a job change after 2 or 3 years to get out of that First Job out of College. That's really a great way to get a bump up in salary quick. You're experienced now.

Regarding doing everything, I was given the advice to never be too good at lower level duties so they will stop asking you. We call that the "Never Be A Good Relief Receptionist Rule." Also, you have to sometimes not be available to do some of this helping stuff, but still keeping a positive attitude and the appearance of a team player.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:35 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
I would not accept all that dog crap! Especially the receptionist thing. If the receptionist is not at work, call the agency and have them send a temp. If they wanted me to that, I would say no- or "not in my contract".

Old 05-10-2008, 01:13 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,034,103 times
Welcome to the real world. Instead of complaining because of all the work your handed due to your work ethic and productivity, you should be thankful that your boss feels so good about you that he can depend on you to tackle extra work. As long as it's not causing an undue burden, where's the problem? In your head. Perhaps you seem to think that every time you're given another assignment, your income should increase accordingly.

Fact is, this is how the market-driven economy works. Your raise, as was mentioned, is a damn good one. Most people would kill for a 7.9% raise. If you feel you're unappreciated (it doesn't sound to me like you are), then check around and see what you can make. Perhaps your boss will meet a higher offer from someone else. Beware, though, of job hopping. No job is perfect and working hard is the only way to get anywhere.

Unless you want to sleep with someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment