Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 12:48 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

I used to not think this was a big deal but as I've gotten older and see how much some corporations make particularly the C level people along with the bonuses they get...I can't help but feel irked by being asked to contribute to a gift for someone who leaves, gets married or has a baby.

Maybe I'm just cheap...but it seems like there should be some allocated money within the company for celebrating people who go through these events. So much is already asked of the employee this just feels like another ask. With remote work more common now I am sometimes asked/encouraged to give money to an employee I have never met in person or even work with.

Perhaps the funds for these gifts should be shaved off from somewhere else. I feel like every month I'm asked to contribute money for a gift for someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 01:03 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Just say no.

Old 10-04-2021, 01:34 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I used to not think this was a big deal but as I've gotten older and see how much some corporations make particularly the C level people along with the bonuses they get...I can't help but feel irked by being asked to contribute to a gift for someone who leaves, gets married or has a baby.

Maybe I'm just cheap...but it seems like there should be some allocated money within the company for celebrating people who go through these events. So much is already asked of the employee this just feels like another ask. With remote work more common now I am sometimes asked/encouraged to give money to an employee I have never met in person or even work with.

Perhaps the funds for these gifts should be shaved off from somewhere else. I feel like every month I'm asked to contribute money for a gift for someone.
Wait until you get hit up for funeral expenses for someone who has a life insurance policy that pays out three times gross salary.

Old 10-04-2021, 01:37 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Just give or don't give. No One's forcing you to contribute.

Old 10-04-2021, 01:38 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
As another mentioned, just say no. While I don't personally fall into this next bucket, there is a genuine contingent of people that get offended by NOT being invited to contribute.

Old 10-04-2021, 02:44 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
I give based on how long I have worked with the person and if I think they deserve it. I wouldn't donate for a gift to someone I didn't work with or know.

Old 10-04-2021, 03:52 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
I've never been asked to contribute to funeral expenses... I guess you mean in sending someone flowers? I see that as a bit different in a sense regardless of what the person made because they are dead and left people behind.

I do get more irritated with the contributing to so and so's 2nd or 3rd child or someone is leaving. If I like the person then ok.

But again I think the money should come from the company not the employees.

Old 10-04-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I've never been asked to contribute to funeral expenses... I guess you mean in sending someone flowers? I see that as a bit different in a sense regardless of what the person made because they are dead and left people behind..............
No, not flowers. That's a separate donation, but a cash donation "for the family".

Old 10-04-2021, 05:10 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:

But again I think the money should come from the company not the employees.
Um, I suspect company ethics policy would have something to say about that! Doing it that way would make the donation even less voluntary than passing an envelope around. Who makes up the company anyway? Employees (in addition to owners). At least passing the hat allows individual people to pick and choose which personal milestones they wish to acknowledge at a particular moment and how. Apportioning company profit or salaries in order to fund donations for these personal milestones takes that choice away. Is that what you want? You who just stated you resent being asked to contribute? IMHO, an employer's contribution toward the private lives of its employees should stick to salary/benefits/retirement in exchange for work.

No matter what age you happen to be, the donation request was/is totally voluntary. If the hat gets passed to you and you don't want to contribute, DON'T! What's hard about that?

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-04-2021 at 06:12 PM..

Old 10-04-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Um, I suspect company ethics policy would have problems with that! Doing it that way would make the donation even less voluntary than passing an envelope around. Who makes up the company anyway? Employees (in addition to owners). At least passing the hat allows individual people to pick and choose which personal milestones they wish to acknowledge and how. Apportioning company profit or salaries in order to fund donations for these personal milestones takes that choice away. Is that what you want? You who just stated you resent being asked to contribute? IMHO, an employer's contribution toward the private lives of its employees should stick to salary/benefits/retirement in exchange for work.

No matter what age you happen to be, the donation request was/is totally voluntary. If the hat gets passed to you and you don't want to contribute, DON'T! What's hard about that?
Because in some work places those who decline are shamed both publicly and privately and the lack may be noted on the end of the year evaluation as "Lack of collegiality". Same thing happens for United Way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment