Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:10 AM

543 posts, read 702,641 times

Advertisements

I worked repairing electric motors since i was 16 for the same company.Rented an apartment in the town I worked in and own a camp in the sticks that I moved to after getting layed off to save money on rent.
There is no industry to speak of in this area that could use the skills I have.All the builders are slow, not that I want to start carrying plywood up a ladder at 46, and none of the service/tourism jobs pay more than 9/hr.
How do I even begin to fill a resume or decide what kind of work i'm qualified to do? Has anyone else been in the same boat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 07:25 AM

732 posts, read 4,157,100 times
Ok first off, do you own a home of any sort? You mentioned you own a camp whatever that means. I'm sure you could find some less labourous jobs in the labor field then carpentry.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:43 AM

Yes Fnix, the camp I mentioned is comfortable, has electric,phone,Sat.tv etc.and I owe nothing. Construction seems to be the only work except food service or maybe Wal mart

Old 03-30-2008, 08:42 AM

732 posts, read 4,157,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvap View Post
Yes Fnix, the camp I mentioned is comfortable, has electric,phone,Sat.tv etc.and I owe nothing. Construction seems to be the only work except food service or maybe Wal mart
Since you own a place you could work P/T at one of the mentioned places correct?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:18 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Sir, the first thing I see about you is LOYALTY. That speaks volumes about what a stable person you are - 30 years of service! I think an employer should prize that.

Initially, this will be tough. I hope that you have signed up for unemployment insurance, for starters. Can you commute a little ways out of the area, say up to 30 miles, for a job?

I know your situation sounds very specific so you should NOT tell us where you are. We don't need to know that. But be somewhat careful about what you pick.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:44 PM

Yes I could work part time somewhere to pay for my fixed costs of living.I guess i'm just shocked about being unemployed for the first time in my life.
Robert, I was loyal,and at the expense of not learning anything else.I didn't even get a pizza party.
30 miles will get me to a more industrial place.I might have to do that and think about relocating when the real estate climate improves
Thank you

Old 03-30-2008, 05:28 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,206,581 times
First of all, that stinks the way you were laid off. But it seems to be the way things go these days. Not fair, but what are ya gonna do? Sign up for unemployment the day you are eligible. You have been paying into it all these years, this is why.

Since you own your place free and clear, you really have an opportunity to take a deep breathe and decide what you want to do next. Unemployment will take care of your expenses and then some unless you have a lot of other debt. And if you choose to return to school, I'm sure there are programs for someone in your situation.

You are in a good position to start a new career doing something that you have always wanted to do. If you began working at 16, you probably never really thought about it. So, although it stinks that you got laid off, you could be looking back a year from now thanking your lucky stars that it happened.

So let yourself do some dreaming....If you could do anything that you wanted to, what would it be?

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 03-30-2008 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-30-2008, 10:55 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,492 times
If you haven't already, file for unemployment ASAP, as suggested. You should be able to go to school with the worker retraining program, which I believe will be free for you. Good luck!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:38 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,671,922 times
I don't know about the area where you live but there are still a lot of jobs available for someone who knows how to repair electro/mechanical things. In a slow economy people will repair rather than replace to cut costs. Try searching "service tech" at CareerBuilder.com Jobs - The Largest Job Search, Employment & Careers Site

Old 03-31-2008, 02:21 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,106,797 times
I know that this doesn't help you at all, cvap, but I am so sorry that happened to you. It's situations like yours that really anger me, and it takes a lot to anger me. You put 30 years of your life into a company only to get the boot and be unappreciated. There is something horrificly wrong when business and society allows that to happen.

My prayers and my hopes are with you, buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment