Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 06:43 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,080,497 times

Advertisements

Assuming you're going back to school, make sure you utilize your college's intern/co-op program ASAP. I cannot stress that enough; employers want experience on top of the degree. Then after graduating, it will still be an uphill battle. However, once you obtain a couple of years of post-college job experience, the market opens up to you tremendously when searching for future employment in your field. For reference, I graduated 12 years ago (BS in Mechanical Engineering) and have job-hopped every 2-3 years.

Is there any way you could possibly job-shadow an engineer in your current company? I'd highly recommend doing that before investing time/money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 06:54 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Do you actually have a degree in engineering? If so that will make things easier. If not, you have about 4-5 years of schooling ahead of you. I would definitely plan to have a co-op or two during your schooling as well. (we pay engineering co-ops about $24-28/hr depending on schooling level/prior coop experience)

Not quite the same as starting in your 30's, but I made the change at age 28 with no relevant experience, but I did have a degree in Mech E. I actually began my working career as an electrician and did a solid 10 years of that. At age 27 I decided I had enough of the trades and made the jump to engineering since i did go to school for that in my early 20's. The worst part of that is I took a pay cut to start out as a no-experience, entry level engineer.

I'm in my early 40's now and in Engineering Management with 8 reports.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:31 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,114,766 times
Years ago I was a young undergrad, and there was a gentleman I worked with who was in his 30s and 40s going back to engineering school for the pay bump. I don't know what happened with him in particular, but he never had a doubt that he was going to be an engineer upon finishing school. In another instance, I worked with a guy who had graduated with an engineering degrees years back. But he stuck with this relatively good paying job on campus for years that was completely unrelated. He ended up getting an engineering job (w/ no experience) right before I graduated. I guess he decided that it was time to put that degree to use.

I think it will be a hard endeavor, no doubt. The schooling will be rigorous. And then after that, you'll have to deal with whatever job market exists once you graduate. As long as you're aware of these things and you're good with them, then that is a good first step.

If you're the type of person who, with any endeavor large or small, throws up their hands and gives up after a few tries, then it's probably not for you. Something like this takes a lot of resilience, and the ability to get up and on your feet after lots of rejection. If you move forward, make sure to work closely with your institution to ensure that you're getting the opportunities for internships in the field. One thing you have over the other fresh college grads will be an actual decade worth of corporate job experience. You know the rules, the politics, and how to conduct yourself professionally that new college grads have likely never done before.

That's my two cents.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:14 AM

365 posts, read 215,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
with no experience in engineering?
Most employers prefer graduates who have no work experience in their early 20s so they can train them,if you can combine whatever your work experiece prior to engineering and apply it to your new job,it would be helpful
I'm a qualified telecommunications technician and I have a few years of work experience in that role. How big of a difference would this make? Also, the engineering degree course that I'm thinking of pursuing includes an internship as well (4 to 6 months).

Do you guys know if the situation is any better when it comes to this (the career change to engineering) in other corners of the world?

Old 06-24-2022, 11:58 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,224,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post
I'm a qualified telecommunications technician and I have a few years of work experience in that role. How big of a difference would this make? Also, the engineering degree course that I'm thinking of pursuing includes an internship as well (4 to 6 months).
How many transferable skills do you have from that role? How many can you articulate and translate that to years of experience?

If zero, then you are treated as having zero experience.

This is why you need to get multiple internships while in school.

Old 06-24-2022, 01:13 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,239,580 times
Quote:
Does engineering tend to be a field in which it's hard to start a career at that age? What are the main difficulties that one would encounter? I know it's illegal for employers in most (civilised) countries to discriminate based on age but, nevertheless, how do things actually stand in engineering when it comes to this?
If you get a 4 year, ABET accredited engineering degree, you will get a job. My company can't find engineers fast enough and pay starts at $80k plus.

Having a background in hands-on technical work is a huge plus. Being older and more mature is big plus also.

I went to engineering school over 20 years ago and many of my classmates were in their 30's and 40's. It's never too late!

I've also hired several "new grad" engineers in their 30's and 40's and they've worked out great.

Tip: look for companies in your area (or consider moving) that offer tuition reimbursement programs. Even if you have a to take a pay cut, you may be better off if they are willing to pay for most (or even all) of your tuition. Finding companies that can eventually hire you as an engineer after you graduate is a bigger win. Good luck!

Old 06-24-2022, 01:29 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
If you get a 4 year, ABET accredited engineering degree, you will get a job. My company can't find engineers fast enough and pay starts at $80k plus.

Having a background in hands-on technical work is a huge plus. Being older and more mature is big plus also.

I went to engineering school over 20 years ago and many of my classmates were in their 30's and 40's. It's never too late!

I've also hired several "new grad" engineers in their 30's and 40's and they've worked out great.

Tip: look for companies in your area (or consider moving) that offer tuition reimbursement programs. Even if you have a to take a pay cut, you may be better off if they are willing to pay for most (or even all) of your tuition. Finding companies that can eventually hire you as an engineer after you graduate is a bigger win. Good luck!
Which company? Which field? You don't even have to be specific of subfield (i.e. MEP, Geotechnical, Process)

Or name a similar company.

Absolutely not the case where I've worked. You're aware of how many people have ABET accredited engineering degrees right? And how many different majors that encompasses, many of which have nothing to do with each other. Not to mention, I don't think OP is from the states, so ABET doesn't mean anything.

Give me 2 or 3 similar companies and I will submit my resume this weekend. Lol.

Last edited by jobaba; 06-24-2022 at 01:41 PM..

Old 06-24-2022, 01:42 PM

9,119 posts, read 6,165,173 times
Quote:
Does engineering tend to be a field in which it's hard to start a career at that age? What are the main difficulties that one would encounter? I know it's illegal for employers in most (civilised) countries to discriminate based on age but, nevertheless, how do things actually stand in engineering when it comes to this?

Have you abandoned your other pursuits?

Cleaning Industry:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/work...-products.html

Biology:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/coll...l#post63612598

Hotel Management:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/work...ger-quite.html

Medical Field:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/asia...med-expat.html

Science Research:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/work...assistant.html

Aerospace:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/work...d-require.html

Old 06-24-2022, 01:43 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
Actually, if you go back, there's a LOT more than that I believe, lol.

Old 06-24-2022, 01:59 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,239,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Which company? Which field? You don't even have to be specific of subfield (i.e. MEP, Geotechnical, Process)

Or name a similar company.

Absolutely not the case where I've worked. You're aware of how many people have ABET accredited engineering degrees right? And how many different majors that encompasses, many of which have nothing to do with each other. Not to mention, I don't think OP is from the states, so ABET doesn't mean anything.

Give me 2 or 3 similar companies and I will submit my resume this weekend. Lol.
Here are quite a few!

https://myscholly.com/50-companies-w...ment-programs/

My field is aerospace & mechanical design and we are hiring like crazy.

And yes, I'm aware of how many people have ABET degrees. Many. And it's still not enough. Unemployment among degreed Mechanical, Electrical, and Aerospace engineers is near zero. Electro Mechanical and Bio-Med are similar. I'm not as up-to-date on other engineering fields such as Industrial, Chemical, Civil.

Engineering has kept me employed for over 20 years and has been very, very good to me. And current trends are that wages are up and demand is up for engineering talent. I expect it to be a rewarding career field in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment