Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 10:14 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,234,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I think the bigger issue here is getting into the habit of being self-motivated and self-disciplined.
Self-motivation and self-discipline is not enough to get past the catch-22.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 03:37 AM

2,623 posts, read 3,155,244 times
Check out Labor Ready and other temp agencies. Take whatever they can offer. It will be jobs like cleaning up construction sites and other unskilled labor. Stick with it and do as instructed. Follow orders and do the best work you can. Sometimes, just showing up every day can get you a better assignment. I've seen it happen. When they send you to a place, watch and learn all you can about it. Make a good impression with the management. Watch for permanent job openings there. If you get reassigned, keep a card for someone there. Ask them to consider you if things come open. Do the same at the next assignment. If you get a good name, the customers may ask for you by name next time they call in. "You sent this guy John Smith last time. We'd like to get him back if we can", that kind of thing. Also ask to use them as references. A good reference goes a long way. Keep a log of the places you are assigned and what you did there. Memory will fog up but a written record will stay clear.

Keep your boss' phone number on speed dial and in your wallet. If you can't get to work for some reason, immediately call in. Never let the boss wonder why you didn't show up. Let him know too, if you are able to do some night or weekend assignments. You never know what may come up. Keep watch for part time jobs at restaurants or car washes.

If your time doesn't fill up, volunteer to help build Habitat for Humanity houses. You can do anything from cleaning up to driving nails to helping plumbers or electricians or painters. Keep eyes open and learn all you can. You will meet people there who may need help in the future. You are getting free exposure to them and them to you.

Do you have a lawn mower and/or string trimmer? You might find people nearby who would pay to have you keep a yard up. Maybe clean out and reorganize garages. If you get a few of these jobs, you can honestly say that you have a part time business. That is impressive to some hiring managers that you do something on your own. Or you may get fortunate enough to become self employed. That is a great thing if you can make a go of it.

A year or 2 of a full time job and one or more part time jobs can close gaps and get you some opportunity. Some employers only ask about your last 3 jobs, some are more thorough.

Squeeze in some time for business courses at your local community college. Some education beyond high school is essential these days for any kind of advancement.

Old 07-11-2022, 05:52 AM

17,361 posts, read 22,115,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
For the most part I haven't been productive. Most of my time has been spent online, YouTube, video games, etc. I've decided to turn my life around and start being pro active. I think they'll probably keep taking care of me but I'd rather start taking steps towards being independent now rather than all of a sudden.
Yet your screen name is YOLO (you only live once)!?!?!?

Use Covid as your excuse (for past unemployment), go get a job at a supermarket/home depot and blend into their staff. That will get you into the workforce and after a year or two you can branch out to something else if the job is too mundane. If you really want to "lie" find a local business that closed and say you worked there prior to Covid but honestly lying will likely get you in more trouble than its worth. Employers won't be fooled that you have work experience if you don't

Old 07-11-2022, 07:07 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,054,426 times
I didn't read every page, but what do your parents think of your "laziness"? Are they enablers? No way in hell I would let my 31 year old son live in my house and just play video games and watch YouTube all day.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:30 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,755,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I didn't read every page, but what do your parents think of your "laziness"? Are they enablers? No way in hell I would let my 31 year old son live in my house and just play video games and watch YouTube all day.
Obviously there's more to the story. Either the parents are impaired or they fear that he is.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:52 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,779,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
I haven't worked because of social anxiety and partially because of laziness. I'm living with my parents. As far as I see it I can't afford to be honest with future employers or people I meet. The truth is too embarrassing. I may be honest if for some reason I get close to someone. I'll take advice on where do I begin in terms of making money. Also on what do I tell people. I wish things didn't come to this but my choices have led me to where I am today. I wish I didn't had to lie but for now that's my only option.

You could say that you were a professional poker player or sports gambler or something along those lines and that the lifestyle strained relationships or something in your life. This is more likely to work for employers to explain an employment gap than friends who will get to know you better. Some employers might still find this as a negative... but it is better than "living in my parent's basement because I've been lazy and have no drive".

If you do go with this story, I'd research the basics just so you could talk somewhat intelligently about it for a couple minutes in case the person interviewing you happens to be a card player themselves.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:49 AM

9,875 posts, read 7,760,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
You could say that you were a professional poker player or sports gambler or something along those lines and that the lifestyle strained relationships or something in your life. This is more likely to work for employers to explain an employment gap than friends who will get to know you better. Some employers might still find this as a negative... but it is better than "living in my parent's basement because I've been lazy and have no drive".

If you do go with this story, I'd research the basics just so you could talk somewhat intelligently about it for a couple minutes in case the person interviewing you happens to be a card player themselves.
LOL, for heaven's sake. You think one call to a reference wouldn't blow up that lie?

This young man needs to just get a very entry level, no experience required job to see after all these years he can follow directions, work responsibly and show up as scheduled.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:52 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,691,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Self-motivation and self-discipline is not enough to get past the catch-22.
There is no catch-22 now in many of the jobs that are hiring. The OP needs A job. Any job. Many places at this point are willing to give anyone with a pulse who is generally presentable and can come to work on time a chance. This poster needs an entry level position. That’s likely going to be in retail, a restaurant, or a grocery store setting, which is a place many people end up starting to get some experience in the workforce.

Old 07-11-2022, 11:15 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,305,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Quit yapping about it and go get yourself a job. Any job, McDonalds, Taco Bell, WalMart, Target, anything. Those are entry level jobs. If your neat, clean and breathing they’ll hire you even without experience. Get out there and just do it.
I agree. Even a McJob is a JOB. My two kids - ages 18 and 19 - go to school full-time and work 20-24 hours a week at a McJob. The only reason they live at home is because they are paying for college themselves and it's cheaper to live at home and avoid paying room/board. They work so that they can cover their expenses (including paying me their portion of car insurance).

Not only that, but they are both getting paid $15/hr for those McJobs. They are gaining experience working with a diverse group of people as well as a varied customer base. They are learning how to handle conflict and to advocate for themselves when necessary.

McJobs can be valuable in teaching skills otherwise not learned.

OP, go find a job. Even if it's just 20-24 hours a week. In time you'll appreciate the paycheck, the experience, AND the exposure to new things/people.

Old 07-11-2022, 11:24 AM

1,462 posts, read 662,066 times
OP, you have the classic anxiety profile of avoidance. You've done it for a long time. It's a pattern you've developed (like a lot of people) to avoid uncomfortable feelings. Then those feelings grow more. And are even more overwhelming.

Agree with the posters to seek counseling and help. Maybe volunteer somewhere (Habitat for Humanity, food pantries, dog shelters, therapeutic horse therapy etc.) in the meantime.

If you think you can do it without counseling/possible meds) take that first step. Or go seek counseling and a job at the same time. But avoiding it like this will not make the anxiety go away. Just keep going OP. Once you take some kind of action it'll get a lot easier. And despite what some may say, it takes a lot to face your anxiety issue and seek help. Actually quite brave.

You've taken the step of posting here. Take another step. Then another. Build on these actions. You can do it and you will be glad you did. OP, you've got this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment