Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2022, 05:02 PM

1,811 posts, read 907,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
It's overwhelming. If I give into these nerves I'll be nervous all day everyday. I'm looking into different things. Entry level jobs, social anxiety, basically being an adult. It feels like I'm just learning about life and it's hitting me all at once because I've put it off for so long. Research will only take me so far. I have to take action
Quit yapping about it and go get yourself a job. Any job, McDonalds, Taco Bell, WalMart, Target, anything. Those are entry level jobs. If your neat, clean and breathing they’ll hire you even without experience. Get out there and just do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 06:51 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,356,251 times
Start volunteering TODAY.

Also find some online tutorials on any programs your perspective employer uses.
Try to apprentice with a skilled tradesman. Sometimes old timers are flattered to share their knowledge. Accept anything you're offered.
Never lie on your applications. It'll come back to bite you.
Have you contributed to the household in any way? "Landscaping" "custodial" "vehicle maintenance" "culinary" as a trade off for rent? (Gee I hope so) That's all experience.

Old 07-09-2022, 12:59 PM

9,889 posts, read 7,775,942 times
Go to a restaurant and ask if they need dishwashers or bussers. Keep it simple. Focus on showing up on time and following directions. Do you have a car?

Old 07-09-2022, 10:13 PM

7,702 posts, read 3,314,376 times
There's an old saying. "Don't let anyone tell you No who cannot tell you Yes." Don't let anyone on this forum tell you that you cannot get into the military (for instance). They don't do the testing and they don't make the rules. Unless you have formal documentation attesting to your "mental illness" and have applied for disability to be "mentally ill" your entire life I call BS on this whole anxiety scheme.

If anyone sits around thinking about something and not doing anything anyone will have anxiety.

Get into a gym and start working out; get a schedule; get a job.

And, yes the parents failed here. They should never allow you to exist and sit in front of a computer your entire young life. But, now you have to parent yourself. It's Your Responsibility now.

Old 07-10-2022, 08:00 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,768,354 times
How are things progressing, OP? Please update.

Old 07-10-2022, 09:07 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,613,954 times
Quote:
It's overwhelming. If I give into these nerves I'll be nervous all day everyday. I'm looking into different things. Entry level jobs, social anxiety, basically being an adult. It feels like I'm just learning about life and it's hitting me all at once because I've put it off for so long. Research will only take me so far. I have to take action
Here are 20 remote jobs you can do that do not require college or a GED. At around 10:00 she talks about Dronebrase. Keep in mind she wants to sell that book. However, she gives great ideas here that you can do a follow up on.

Happy hunting ...

20+ REMOTE JOBS YOU Can Do Right Now! This is NOT a TIPS & TRICKS VID --These are REAL JOBS you..

PS: Indeed.com also has a (helpful) YouTube channel. They also offer up so great ideas on opportunities, resume and interview tips. btw: don't forget to breathe; take ten cleansing ones, slowly in and out, relax. You got this.

Old 07-10-2022, 02:50 PM

2,873 posts, read 1,155,567 times
Quote:
For the most part I haven't been productive. Most of my time has been spent online, YouTube, video games, etc. I've decided to turn my life around and start being pro active. I think they'll probably keep taking care of me but I'd rather start taking steps towards being independent now rather than all of a sudden.
Get out of your own head and your parents' house. Get busy. Get involved. Get a job. Get a life; it's passing you by.
Advice from a tiger mom. You're welcome.

Old 07-10-2022, 06:18 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,622,760 times
OP - what have you done in the past 5 years that COULD be made into a job? If you mow your parents' lawn, offer to do the neighbors'. If you maintain their swimming pool, offer the same to a neighbor. If you go shopping for your parents, then you can do Uber eats. Even Youtube could be made into a part time gig, though it is unlikely to make a full living.

In many places anyone with a driver's license can deliver pizzas pretty much starting the next day.

If you did well in a particular subject in school, you could try tutoring, which is very self-employable.

You just need to find SOMETHING to do that can count as paid employment, and work your way up. After a year or two, other employers will have something to look at.

Old 07-10-2022, 06:33 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,622,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
What "lower end jobs" can one get that allows them to move up into a decent career? Employers don't count Mcjob experience for career jobs.
I think the bigger issue here is getting into the habit of being self-motivated and self-disciplined. Working in retail for a year isn't a career path, but it gets the OP out of the psychological "rut" and into a better place, from which other actions can be taken (such as trade school, internships, apprenticeships, etc.)

Old 07-10-2022, 06:44 PM

1,062 posts, read 551,779 times
You were an internet re-seller on E-bay. Watch videos on YouTube made by the resellers and learn how it works so you can answer questions. Maybe even sell a few items so you can learn their software. Now the fees and postal rates have been raised to the point where you have decided to leave the self-employed world. Hope they don't ask for proof.

Last edited by Dehumidifier; 07-10-2022 at 07:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment