Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2022, 12:14 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,788,650 times

Advertisements

OP, when you say you "barely" have work experience, what experience have you actually had?

Were you involved in sports or extra curriculars at school? Did you volunteer anywhere? Boy Scouts? 4-H?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 12:15 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,224,465 times
Just another suggestion to motivate you to tolerate some bad aspects of employment - there will be plenty of those.

Why not devote your job search and your first paycheck to your parents?

They were great: didn’t kick you out, fed you, provided internet access, hot showers, etc.

Think how great it would be to hand your Mom your whole check signed to her and ask her to spend it all on herself and your Dad.
You could tell her that you will start saving up for a car/apartment share so you could eventually move out, but with the second paycheck.

This very important - the first one - no matter how small - is theirs as a thank you for all those years your parents were so patient (I am sure there was a lot of nagging going on too…well deserved I might add)

How cool that would be - to get something for them?
Keep it as your motivation: you have been a taker for years - it is so much more awesome to try being a giver!

Would love to see a look on her face - your parents won’t be here for ever - do something for them while it is still possible:you’ll be glad you did many years later, promise you that.

Old 07-06-2022, 12:37 PM

177 posts, read 152,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I agree with this. And without any work experience he'd never be able to keep up the pace at a place like UPS, FedEx or Amazon.

I think some good decent physical labor starting job like washing dishes, mopping floors and other janitorial work would be a place to start. Learn a work ethic, learn how to follow instructions, learn how to punch in a time clock and be respectful. Many of us started at the bottom.

OP, do you drive? Can you get to a job every day on time?
I know if I put my mind to it I can definitely get there on time and do my best to meet all the requirements.

Old 07-06-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
I know if I put my mind to it I can definitely get there on time and do my best to meet all the requirements.
How do you know? Do you have some experience setting real-world goals and consistently meeting them? What makes you believe you can overcome your natural lethargy? Serious question.

My own daughter (much younger than you) is a hard worker (has worked since age 16) and is in an entry level corporate job, and even she finds it hard to stay motivated and punctual 5 days a week, week after week.

Old 07-06-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
OP, when you say you "barely" have work experience, what experience have you actually had?

Were you involved in sports or extra curriculars at school? Did you volunteer anywhere? Boy Scouts? 4-H?
My step dad worked doing construction but I didn't really do much. Carry some tools here and there sweep. I don't know why he invited me to work. Probably wanted me to get used to working. Most of the time I wasn't doing any specific task. This was about 15 years ago. Tacobell for few months but they cut my hours to like 2 a day so it wasn't worth the drive. I don't think they taught me properly and or I wasn't capable of learning. I don't know if I would count this as work experience or bring it up. No sports or extra curricular activities. For volunteering I think I had to volunteer for a certain amount of hours to graduate high school. I helped around at a church undergoing remodeling.

Old 07-06-2022, 12:50 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,138,522 times
Now I have my doubts, lol...

Old 07-06-2022, 12:50 PM

All of this counts, kid.

But what did you find difficult about working at Taco Bell?

Old 07-06-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
How do you know? Do you have some experience setting real-world goals and consistently meeting them? What makes you believe you can overcome your natural lethargy? Serious question.

My own daughter (much younger than you) is a hard worker (has worked since age 16) and is in an entry level corporate job, and even she finds it hard to stay motivated and punctual 5 days a week, week after week.
The alternative to not working for a living would probably be homeless. That's a great motivator to not giving up. I guess I can't be sure what will happen but people can change for the better. I can't know what will happen unless I try. Laziness is not my main issue, social phobia is.

Old 07-06-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Just another suggestion to motivate you to tolerate some bad aspects of employment - there will be plenty of those.

Why not devote your job search and your first paycheck to your parents?

They were great: didn’t kick you out, fed you, provided internet access, hot showers, etc.

Think how great it would be to hand your Mom your whole check signed to her and ask her to spend it all on herself and your Dad.
You could tell her that you will start saving up for a car/apartment share so you could eventually move out, but with the second paycheck.

This very important - the first one - no matter how small - is theirs as a thank you for all those years your parents were so patient (I am sure there was a lot of nagging going on too…well deserved I might add)

How cool that would be - to get something for them?
Keep it as your motivation: you have been a taker for years - it is so much more awesome to try being a giver!

Would love to see a look on her face - your parents won’t be here for ever - do something for them while it is still possible:you’ll be glad you did many years later, promise you that.
Yea I haven't been a good son. They deserved better

Old 07-06-2022, 01:03 PM

14,572 posts, read 12,248,854 times
FWIW, a LOT of people have been hermits for the past three years.... so this is a pretty good time to have your story. You can just say, with COVID happening, you didn't do very much outside work and were helping your parents. Now you're ready to get out. I don't think people will be all that shocked and that may be enough explanation.

You're going to be starting at the low end. Don't overshoot. First time jobs don't require a lot of experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment