Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 10:33 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Who do people keep saying join the Army? He does not qualify based on his medical history. Jesus, read the thread before posting bad advice.
He's NEVER been medically diagnosed so I'd take it just his excuse for being lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 10:37 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
He's NEVER been medically diagnosed so I'd take it just his excuse for being lazy.
He will have to take a psychological assessment to enlist.

In any case, I wouldn't want someone like the OP serving in the armed forces, law enforcement, emergency response, or anything requiring public trust because he would be too unmotivated and lazy to risk his life and safety for the protection of others.

Better he just lifts boxes all day, until he doesn't feel like it anymore and quits.

Old 07-06-2022, 10:49 AM

160 posts, read 146,570 times
Quote:
Oh for God's sake. Are you telling me you have NEVER had a diagnosis of any kind? Your parents have just let you coast on a "feeling" there might be something wrong with you?

Please answer my question about how you did in school, and if you were in special ed or had an IEP.
I think my life is evidence that I have extreme social phobia. Never had friends or girlfriend. In middle school and high school was asked by different students why I'm so quiet why I never talk. Unfortunately no official diagnosis. I wasn't in special ed or IEP. I did average in school. Didn't have the best of grades or the worst. It's not hard to just get by in school. I'm sure the teachers noticed I was very quiet. They probably assume I was a very shy kid. I don't know if I should have been in some kind of special ed.

Old 07-06-2022, 10:51 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Quote:

In any case, I wouldn't want someone like the OP serving in the armed forces, law enforcement, emergency response, or anything requiring public trust because he would be too unmotivated and lazy to risk his life and safety for the protection of others.

Better he just lifts boxes all day, until he doesn't feel like it anymore and quits.
Mod cut.

Just kidding. The army will be good for him. They will break him down then rebuilt him (sort of like the bionic man). It will give him a sense of purpose and feel good to contribute to a greater good.

Often I find people who are lazy and lack of motivation because they're physically out of shape. Once undergo the regime of physical discipline and being trained for a specific skills, and being a part of team, often they will find that calling and a sense of purpose.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-06-2022 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: Rude; not funny.

Old 07-06-2022, 10:58 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,669,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
I watched a few YouTube videos and they were saying that they lied or didn't exact tell the truth because otherwise they wouldn't have been hired. But from the comments on my thread it looks like lying is not the way to go so I'm confused. If I'm honest and keep getting rejected I think I'll eventually have to lie. The alternative could be being homeless or another unfortunate circumstance.
Of course you shouldn't lie on an interview but most of the time, people aren't completely honest either. However in your case, the consensus seems to be even if you lied, it's unlikely you will be believed.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:06 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,189,162 times
Quote:
I haven't worked because of social anxiety and partially because of laziness. I'm living with my parents. As far as I see it I can't afford to be honest with future employers or people I meet. The truth is too embarrassing. I may be honest if for some reason I get close to someone. I'll take advice on where do I begin in terms of making money. Also on what do I tell people. I wish things didn't come to this but my choices have led me to where I am today. I wish I didn't had to lie but for now that's my only option.
Just tell the truth: tell them you got it out of your system and want to try something new- working for a living.
It is actually being bold, some employers may like that honesty and you are being so straightforward, not a trickster.

Think what are your strength and describe them: you might know some great apps the business could use - shifts management, customers data , etc, etc.
Could you make a business promo video for different social platforms?

You obviously don’t mind seating long hours in front of the screen - maybe some video monitoring you could do?

Ask of their expectations and if you think you could fulfill them- just promise that you could do it.

Say you don’t mind an extended probation period.
Don’t get upset if they fire you after a bit if it is a bad fit.

Keep looking for another type job - the adversity builds resilience.
You will be able to observe people and interact with them as a co-worker - building up your social skills and becoming more confident.

How is your attention span for mundane repetitive tasks? A lot of entry level jobs is full of them.
Analyzing your current skills and presenting them to your employer could make them assign some positions you could try out.

What do you think you might be interested in doing?

Think you need to start with companies where you could walk in for interview.

Look up your state department of Labor and Training- they may have some programs they sponsor or at least conduct job fairs for unemployed- use them to get an idea.
You need to start somewhere.

If you analyzed your skills: try to make a résumé and sign up for professional accounts to look for entry level or training provided jobs.

Look into Google certificate programs too.

If you want to work - there is a job there for you, don’t fret!

Congrats on graduating to an adulthood!

Last edited by L00k4ward; 07-06-2022 at 11:25 AM..

Old 07-06-2022, 11:16 AM

1,400 posts, read 765,282 times
Whatever you do, don't lie. You could always say something true, anything that is good. Maybe you are a quick learner, maybe you did well in school, maybe you are willing to learn and to work hard now. A lot of employers are searching for people who are honest, willing to learn and show up. Try not to look at what you believe are your faults, rather look for how you can help them. You don't have to say WHY you have not worked up to this point. You could be independently wealthy. Just stress that you are so willing to get to work now. Hold on tight to honesty because it is a rare thing. You'll do fine!!!

Old 07-06-2022, 11:18 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,189,162 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

You see? You are intelligent to learn this and apply to your situation.
So you are already ahead of a lot of job seekers out there who has some experience, but may not be that sharp.

Being intelligent means you could write down on resume or tell them in a walk-in interview “I am a quick learner and can apply the knowledge of your operations in another area if needed”

Go for it!
It could be cool to expose all your perceived and real weaknesses to see how you measure up, what is out there - be brave, be who you are.

Don’t undertake a burden of lying - it is hard to keep it up together and continue to make up as you go. Lies never end. It isn’t worth it.

Just saying that you are even-kilted and not going to lose your temper at work, polite, could follow directions and comprehend and follow the rules and procedures of the workplace - it is a great value in some jobs

Be yourself, show yourself to the world.
Don’t forget to keep posting your job search activities: we are here to support you and to provide an advise - sometimes cruel, sometimes helpful - just like the world outside.
We are here for you. Godspeed

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-06-2022 at 12:34 PM..

Old 07-06-2022, 12:05 PM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
I haven't worked because of social anxiety and partially because of laziness. I'm living with my parents. As far as I see it I can't afford to be honest with future employers or people I meet. The truth is too embarrassing. I may be honest if for some reason I get close to someone. I'll take advice on where do I begin in terms of making money. Also on what do I tell people. I wish things didn't come to this but my choices have led me to where I am today. I wish I didn't had to lie but for now that's my only option.
How about just tell the truth? What a novel concept.

There are endless job openings all over. You don't have to lie. There are restaurants in my town that close an extra day or two each week because they can't find enough employees. You think they care what you have been doing for the last decade?

Old 07-06-2022, 12:07 PM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:

I agree with this. And without any work experience he'd never be able to keep up the pace at a place like UPS, FedEx or Amazon.

I think some good decent physical labor starting job like washing dishes, mopping floors and other janitorial work would be a place to start. Learn a work ethic, learn how to follow instructions, learn how to punch in a time clock and be respectful. Many of us started at the bottom.

OP, do you drive? Can you get to a job every day on time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment