Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 10:04 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times

Advertisements

I mean it's good.

Everybody should really have these comparisons in their career between different types of jobs.

People act like any two corporate jobs are alike here, but there can be a world of difference.

And the truth is that ... you can get the one that pays 30K more and THAT one can be the more laidback job, though of course ... the odds are against that. I digress.

You're pretty young at 31. Figure out where you want to be eventually and what kind of job you want in 7-10 years based upon the jobs you've had.

I'm certainly not where I want to be, and part of it was chasing after a little more money.

It really helps to keep a diary so you know what you were thinking and why you made the decisions.

"I'm at this job I hate. Why? Oh, because in 2020 I said I also hated the easy job I was at because it was boring, and I didn't make enough money."

CD Forum can actually serve as that diary if you post enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2022, 10:33 AM

1,462 posts, read 660,200 times
I think it's great that your parents are fine with you living with them. Their moral support at this low emotional point in your life is probably a godsend.

IMO, life really is too short. I say give it a full 6 months. Make sure you keep your head down, try to find some positives and work really hard during that time. And then, if there is no improvement, jump ship. Do not burn any bridges of course. Sock away those savings, too.

Best of luck to you. Look, to put a spin on a common expression: No one on their death bed ever regretted not staying longer at a job they hated.

Old 09-17-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Maybe you liked your previous job because it was easy? Regardless, if you don't like the job find something else. It's that simple.
IF you want to stay in the same field, sometimes it is literally that easy.

I mean quit your job.

The guy lives with his parents. He won't lose any money and can look for a new job full time.

My GF hires nurses. Sometimes they quit after a month.

Old 09-17-2022, 10:42 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

I mean quit your job.

The guy lives with his parents. He won't lose any money and can look for a new job full time.

My GF hires nurses. Sometimes they quit after a month.
Depends on the field you are in. If your job record shows a lot of job hopping, many companies won't consider you if it is the kind of enterprise where they are building talent to last for decades.

Old 09-17-2022, 03:36 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,143,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

I mean quit your job.

IMO, quitting job is an incorrect approach.

OP should keep looking for opportunities if he so wishes, but that is not a full time endeavour.

Old 09-17-2022, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
IMO, quitting job is an incorrect approach.

OP should keep looking for opportunities if he so wishes, but that is not a full time endeavour.
Shrugs...

Been there, done that. Spending your weekends doing cover letters and resumes, taking multiple vacation days to prep and go on multiple rounds of interviews. Etc, etc. Rinse, wash, repeat. Fun stuff.

And then you're in that job forever.

Or you find a job that's very similar, and it's the same or worse.

Honestly, nobody ever knows what's going to happen, but one thing is for sure.

If you quit a job that you hate... and OP says ... and I quote ... "I hate it!" Well, you won't be in that job anymore.

I wish I could say that the wise advice I've gotten on City Data Forum has propelled me to a life of xanadu and pure bliss... but...

I've gotten some good advice on travel here tho.

Last edited by jobaba; 09-17-2022 at 05:57 PM..

Old 09-17-2022, 08:16 PM

22,183 posts, read 19,227,493 times
give yourself a year in the new job.
feel good about watching your bank account grow.
enjoy your social life and hobbies.
tell yourself if you still dont like it in a year that you will leave, promise yourself that.
i frequently tell myself (in situations like the one described in OP), "i can do any job for a year"
plan your escape
read the job listings, watch the online job listings, polish your resume
see your current job as a stepping stone to your next job
see your current job as a source of excellent references which will help you land your next job

plan and use your vacation time doing things which nourish your spirit, even if it's just a 3-day weekend here and there
don't get too attached to the drama at work or the personalities or how much you hate it.
try to see it as you would a british comedy or a funny office movie. if there are extremes in personality or dysfunction at work, exaggerate them in your mind and see it as watching a soap opera or office comedy.

it's like i told my kids when they were single and dating and awkward: there will be horrible dates and some bizarre terrible can't believe that happened dating or even relationship experiences. but a horrible date makes a great story, so think of it that way.

this too shall pass

Old 09-18-2022, 07:58 AM

1,462 posts, read 660,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
give yourself a year in the new job.
feel good about watching your bank account grow.
enjoy your social life and hobbies.
tell yourself if you still dont like it in a year that you will leave, promise yourself that.
i frequently tell myself (in situations like the one described in OP), "i can do any job for a year"
plan your escape
read the job listings, watch the online job listings, polish your resume
see your current job as a stepping stone to your next job
see your current job as a source of excellent references which will help you land your next job

plan and use your vacation time doing things which nourish your spirit, even if it's just a 3-day weekend here and there
don't get too attached to the drama at work or the personalities or how much you hate it.
try to see it as you would a british comedy or a funny office movie. if there are extremes in personality or dysfunction at work, exaggerate them in your mind and see it as watching a soap opera or office comedy.

it's like i told my kids when they were single and dating and awkward: there will be horrible dates and some bizarre terrible can't believe that happened dating or even relationship experiences. but a horrible date makes a great story, so think of it that way.

this too shall pass
This is an excellent post. The advice is so rational and spot on.

But......at 31 years of age, waiting a whole year would just not seem to be something I could do at a job I absolutely hated.

Actually I'm a bit past 31 (cough, cough) but I still could not be miserable for another 10 months if things did not get better. Again, if things did not get better. I'd be out of there after 6 months.

Maybe I'm just immature.....

Old 09-18-2022, 08:09 AM

22,183 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
This is an excellent post. The advice is so rational and spot on.

But......at 31 years of age, waiting a whole year would just not seem to be something I could do at a job I absolutely hated.

Actually I'm a bit past 31 (cough, cough) but I still could not be miserable for another 10 months if things did not get better. Again, if things did not get better. I'd be out of there after 6 months.

Maybe I'm just immature.....
that certainly makes sense. i tell myself a year because in my field less than a year can be seen as job-hopping and can be a barrier in getting my next job. i certainly don't wait a year to get out if it's horrible, and if it's horrible i am actively applying for jobs the entire time. the rare times this has happened i have always been able to get out in well under a year: one job i got out in 2 months, i got a promotion to another job. one job which was horrible to start within 4 months turned into an opportunity for advancement so i stayed in that job and when someone else at a higher grade left i was able to learn their job and then within another 4 months was promoted into that, which turned out to be the biggest promotion of my career (at age 63, and i was on the verge of putting in for retirement). i decided to stay another 3 years since it turns out i really like this job.

so short stints on a resume are fine and not a barrier when it leads to a promotion. i put that on my resume too for short stay jobs. "left after 4 months for promotion" "after 3 months promoted to a higher level position"

Old 09-18-2022, 09:08 AM

1,870 posts, read 844,665 times
i hate my job, hated it since day one, this is my 39 years. it pays the bills.

honstly over 70% hate their jobs, but you got to grow up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment