Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 01:22 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Exactly, discriminating against the tatooed is legal. For the tatooed to claim protection trivializes the struggles of those discriminated against for reasons of race, gender and age.

I find it odd that people who do something in order to make a display and thus create a reaction take umbrage when the reaction is not the one they want.
I have a tattoo, and also work in an office. I am a computer analyst, and have a pretty decent job. I have to keep my tattoo covered, which honestly isn't a big deal for me. Irishtom, you are assuming people get tattoos to 'make a display' and 'create a reaction'. In a lot of cases (definately in mine) that is dead wrong. You are assuming a few things about people who have tattoos, and your assumptions are nowhere near correct. My tattoo has meaning behind it which is pretty significant, and it is simply a reminder to myself on how to live my life. If no one else ever sees it, I really wouldn't care. Please don't make assumptions when you don't know what you are talking about.

I am OK with covering tattoos in an office (I cover mine every day and never complain), but I am curious - how is a tattoo any different than an ear piercing, or someone wearing jewlery every day? Someone can walk into an office wearing a gold cross around their neck every day and no one would say anything, but when a cross is tattooed onto the person, it is unacceptable. What exactly is the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 01:41 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am OK with covering tattoos in an office (I cover mine every day and never complain), but I am curious - how is a tattoo any different than an ear piercing, or someone wearing jewlery every day? Someone can walk into an office wearing a gold cross around their neck every day and no one would say anything, but when a cross is tattooed onto the person, it is unacceptable. What exactly is the difference?

Well for one thing wearing a cross around your neck doesn't involve inflicting pain upon yourself, something I consider odd. And you can take the cross off.

I understand that tatoos don't mean a person is of bad character but I see it as screwball behavior. Hell, my wife has a tatoo, she's a bit of a screwball. One of my sons is tatooed, he's a screwball too. And lots of my pals are tatooed but they're boilermakers and pipefitters and such, not white collar types. I advise you to embrace your inner screwball rather than deny it.

Regards

Old 06-20-2008, 01:48 PM

8,956 posts, read 20,376,989 times
One thing to please remember, no matter what opinions are out there, Rap singers and their tattoos and gang members and their tattoos are always being shown by the Media as bad......and some of them are (the people). We are a society that judges, no matter what anyone says......they DO and will judge. They may not "verbalize" the judging, but it is in their mind. I know that at one time, both Sears and Pep Boys had new employees sign a Form stating they would not wear any kind of body piercing during working hours. Some people who love Punk Rock, Heavy Metal, whatever love the body piercings and tattoos, but Society can/does look down on them. Back in the 60's, we wore beads and flashed the "peace" sign (hand gesture) all the time. Some folks then thought that was crazy.
In fact, there are some doctors today that make their living by removing tattoos. One girl that two tattoos removed told the Media that the company she wanted to go to work for (and offered her an extremely nice salary) told her either to remove the tattoos or forget the job. She had the tattoos removed. Call it discrimination or whatever, but this girl wanted that job and done what it took to get it. Heck, she is probably the CEO now!!
Let's just not get so "haired-out" about tattoos and employment. If you have tattoos and want to go to work for a company that says "hide them".....then HIDE THEM! If you want to go to work for a company that has the "no tattoos" policy......look for a different company. It won't do a bit of good to complain, companies and a lot of the public just won't listen!!

Old 06-20-2008, 02:22 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Well for one thing wearing a cross around your neck doesn't involve inflicting pain upon yourself, something I consider odd. And you can take the cross off.

I understand that tatoos don't mean a person is of bad character but I see it as screwball behavior. Hell, my wife has a tatoo, she's a bit of a screwball. One of my sons is tatooed, he's a screwball too. And lots of my pals are tatooed but they're boilermakers and pipefitters and such, not white collar types. I advise you to embrace your inner screwball rather than deny it.

Regards
So you are still saying 'normal' people don't get tattoos? When I go running, I cause myself pain. I get out of breath, I ache, but it is a good thing. Is it actually bad to jog because there is some pain involved? Piercing your ears inflicts pain, yet that is not 'screwball' behavior. What is the difference between that and a tattoo?

Old 06-20-2008, 02:34 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
WRONG
Tatoos are not protected against discrimination.
our company policy is that we do not hire anyone with visible tatoos.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:50 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So you are still saying 'normal' people don't get tattoos? When I go running, I cause myself pain. I get out of breath, I ache, but it is a good thing. Is it actually bad to jog because there is some pain involved? Piercing your ears inflicts pain, yet that is not 'screwball' behavior. What is the difference between that and a tattoo?
Why are you so hell-bent on being considered normal?

People exercise to gain strength and improve health and many exercise with no pain at all. Indeed, it seems to me that pain from exercise is a sign of overdoing it or seeking a rush rather than simple fitness. One can be fit as a fiddle without suffering pain but pain is inherant with a tatoo. In any event to suffer pain to further one's health seems more sensible than to suffer pain to make a display. Of course if one thinks the display will make one more sexually attractive or serve as a warning to other aggressive males, like the antlers and horns of animals, the pain could be worth the benefits.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:59 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
I don't know... personally, were I in a position of management, I wouldn't care about someone's tattoos if they were the best person for the job.

I realize many do NOT share my views though.... so that's why all of my five tattoos can be covered. I recently extended a piece on my left arm so that it now reaches almost to my elbow, and I knew full well that in doing so I had "condemned" myself to wearing at least 3/4 sleeve blouses from here on out unless some day I'm working in a totally different environment. My choice.

And, living in Texas, there's no way (with the tattoos) I'd knowingly take a job that involved being anywhere other than in the air conditioning with longer sleeves.

So while I wish we lived in a perfect world where things like this didn't matter.. we don't... and so I dress accordingly.

It reminds me of the dumb unemployment office worker I dealt with once who told me "Employers aren't that superficial" when I was talking about how I really needed to get something done with my hair to help in my job search. I have dyed blonde hair, but I'm had some gray showing as well as dark roots because after having been laid off I didn't have any extra money for that. Her comment was stupid and naive... like it or not, having anything "out of place" DOES matter in finding employment. Appearances do count, which sucks, but it's true.

Not saying it's right. Just that it's true!

Old 06-20-2008, 03:04 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
Quote:
Why are you so hell-bent on being considered normal?

People exercise to gain strength and improve health and many exercise with no pain at all. Indeed, it seems to me that pain from exercise is a sign of overdoing it or seeking a rush rather than simple fitness. One can be fit as a fiddle without suffering pain but pain is inherant with a tatoo. In any event to suffer pain to further one's health seems more sensible than to suffer pain to make a display. Of course if one thinks the display will make one more sexually attractive or serve as a warning to other aggressive males, like the antlers and horns of animals, the pain could be worth the benefits.
I don't know.. what about women who routinely "suffer" to look a certain way? My mother always told me when I was growing up, "Beauty is pain, child..." and I'm talking about waxing, plucking, shaving, tweezing, etc. Sometimes even hair color hurts, if you have sensitive skin. Or in more extreme examples (but in some areas this is totally considered normal) it would include Botox, silicone, collagen, nip, tuck, implants, chemical peels, etc. I'm much more bothered by the idea of doing all that because it seems to be all about conforming to some bizarre standard. And I happen to think that those activities are way more about "making a display" or getting a reaction than a tattoo is. Three of my five tattoos cannot even be seen unless I'm down to a swimsuit... and that's not because I was trying to 'hide' them but because I got them for ME.

It seemed crazy to ME that my ex-boss (female attorney) would come to work puffy and red and sore from facial "peels" that left her looking like a zombie for days, all in the name of "beauty"... but then I have 5 tattoos and those hurt less (in my opinion) than many of the "normal" beauty routines I mentioned.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:10 PM

812 posts, read 2,307,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
People eprceive black males as criminals and have the statistics to back it up, does that mean they are free to discriminate? I guess stereotyping only applies as true to people with tattoos.

I can understand if someone was hired with or without tattoos and then got more of them, but I do not understand the discriminted nature of hiring someone with them just purely on the basis of them having tattoos.

So you resign yourself on granting tolerance to those who had no choice in the matter and damn the people who feel or perceived they had the freedom of choice in this country.
I don't know anyone who percieves black males as criminals and where your statistics come from is not even true. Unless everyone has been polled then no statistic is accurate.

Secondly if there are 2 people and one person has tattoos, who is going to get hired? Right or wrong if they both have the exact same qualifications? Appearance wise, it isn't attractive and it is a choice someone has made. Majority of people don't like them or think they look very professional or we'd have more professionals running around w/ them.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:37 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I got a small tattoo on my forearm *before* it was "cool" to be tattooed. I got it on my forearm because it's a meaningful symbol to me, and I want to be able to look at it, plus I can cover it with clothing or a bandaid for job interviews.
I've seen people who look like they've been beaten with a baseball bat due to tattoos. I don't think I'd want them to represent my company in sales or some sort of job where they'd be interacting with clients who might (right or wrong) be put off by the tats.
No, it's not the same as discrimination against people for who they are. It's the same as not hiring someone because they wear flipflops to a business interview or have spiked blue hair, or for that matter, wear shorts and not a suit. They don't look right for the job, or don't know or care enough to try to look right.
By the way, I completely support the rights of individuals to be individual. But the workplace has its own rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment