Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 07:04 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times

Advertisements

I wish it could just be changed because it is unfair to the server and the patron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 12:39 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,917,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Actually, no, I did serving for one day and I have said before in other posts it is a very hard job!

I just think you can determine how much you make by getting a job that pays a little more per hour instead of (like you say, screwed up system) expecting diners to make up the difference.
Well, it's easy work to get for a college student. You don't need to network, go through a complex interview process or anything and its a good way to make a few bucks after class. There's no job that I know of that pays as well while being extremely flexible without a degree or anything.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:40 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,917,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I wish it could just be changed because it is unfair to the server and the patron.
I agree. It's a wonderful deal for the restaurant-that's for sure. Not only do they have dirt-cheap illegals washing dishes, they don't really have to pay much for servers.

Unfortunately, "career servers" are usually either to uneducated or lack enough ambition to do something about it. People like myself are in and out.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:39 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
You do realize if tipping wasn't expected, meals would cost 15% more? The expectation to tip is built into the price of food.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:39 AM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You do realize if tipping wasn't expected, meals would cost 15% more? The expectation to tip is built into the price of food.
Exactly...but some places include the tip in the bill so there is no way around it anyway.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:48 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,563,796 times
I served in restaurants for 15 yrs, after 8 yrs of office admin field, I have returned to serving.
I like the flexibility and the exercise. Secretary spread was starting to show up.

Not much has changed in the last 8 yrs except the server minimum is now $3. and some odd cents.
Everywhere I have worked (15 yrs in Maryland and DC) the standard was 15% but you would get the 20% too.
I am in a different state now and so far I am seeing the norm right around 15% - but where I am, there are alot of elderly and foreigners (vacationers).

Also, don't forget....

At the end of the night, the server has to tip out the busboy and bartender. And on the busiest days there is also a foodrunner to tip out.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:28 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I agree. It's a wonderful deal for the restaurant-that's for sure. Not only do they have dirt-cheap illegals washing dishes, they don't really have to pay much for servers.

Unfortunately, "career servers" are usually either to uneducated or lack enough ambition to do something about it. People like myself are in and out.
"Career servers" are often highly proficient professionals with a vast knowledge of F & B and are very much sought after in the service industry. Not all "career servers" remain in that position because they are uneducated or unambitious. Many love what they do, make good money and just aren't interested in moving into management positions where desk duties will take them away from the customer interaction. Cheers!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:54 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,053,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huttah View Post
I was wondering if anyone on here is a server, and if so, what does an average table tip? Also, where do you work/city/ what kind of restaurant is it?

And if you're not a server, what do you usually tip when you go out to eat? Also, where are you from?

I'm a server in Bismarck, ND and most tables leave about 10%. Not just me though, all my coworkers say that's what they usually get, and some friends who work in other restaurants say that, too.

I want to know if people everywhere suck at tipping, or if it's just a ND thing.

The city with the highest average percent is where I'm moving! (kidding)
I always leave 20%. It's the least I can do. They need it more than I do...so I am happy to tip 20%.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:56 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
"Career servers" are often highly proficient professionals with a vast knowledge of F & B and are very much sought after in the service industry. Not all "career servers" remain in that position because they are uneducated or unambitious. Many love what they do, make good money and just aren't interested in moving into management positions where desk duties will take them away from the customer interaction. Cheers!
Not to mention there's something to be said for NOT sitting on your a$$ all day! I got into admin/clerical by default... I knew how to type well, so there I went.. but yeah, I would much rather find something that keeps me moving because office jobs put on the pounds for me for sure!!

I have never waited tables and I have a lot of respect for those who do. I am afraid I'll forget orders and drop things.... I really have a performance anxiety "thing" when I consider jobs like that, but I'm considering it more and more lately anyway since it seems like it's the only kind of job I can find where I can be off in time to get kids from school.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:14 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,728,348 times
i generally tip 10-15%

If I order a place for $15 and my girl orders something for $12, and then $6 worth or drinks and say I get 1 refill and she gets none because her cup is half full....then once the bill comes and it is $33 or so...well in that case I'd tip $3...if it was $33.36, I would tip $3.64. I round up to the nearest dollar generally. I think it is fair for only serving two people and checking the table once or twice. I am not paying for them to speed by and say "everything okay"
Also I usually get left waiting for the check for too long. I figure if they have too many tables, they are getting more tips. Even if they have 4 tables, at $2/table and their $8/hr(in cali)..they make more than I do. I've had some hard jobs and never got tips. Don't like it, don't be a waiter. I think waiting and serving is for people who like to mingle with people from every culture and background...not someone trying to pay the mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment