Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2008, 01:41 AM

47 posts, read 182,413 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a university student and unfortunately live in an area with high unemployment and very few job opportunities. I am desperate for work over the summer holidays and have spent months applying for part-time and casual jobs, but nothing is coming up.

I started looking at full-time jobs out of desperation, and have had more success by not mentioning the fact that I'm a student. I've been offered a good job but it requires about 5 weeks training and I would need to resign after 13 weeks to continue studying. Plus this is the kind of job where they want someone who will stick around for a few years and really train them...

So my question is, should I accept this job and leave after 3 months? If so, how should I explain my hasty resignation? I feel really bad about ditching a company, but it seems it's this or not being able to eat or have a roof over my head... I know on the other hand a company has no hesistation in ditching an employee with short notice, but I don't know if it goes both ways...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 05:21 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Tough call, but I think ultimately you should do what is best for you. Maybe you'll find that you really like the job and decide to go to school part-time until you finish your degree. But if you do leave, you can say that you got an unexpected opportunity to finish your degree and feel it is in your best interests to do it now rather than later.

Does the job start in the summer? If that is the case, you can continue looking for part-time or temp jobs. If you find one, you can ditch this job before you even start the training.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:53 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
No, I wouldn't recommend it. They would never give you a good reference and the world is too small to burn bridges like that. If you only have 13 weeks to work, try a temp agency, or keep trying to find a part time job you can stick with for the long term, even if it is one you don't really like.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:04 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Do it. You need to do what you need to do.

And who says you need a reference from them?

As my grandfather says: "Don't be loyal to them, as they sure as hell won't be loyal to you!"

Last edited by IonRedline08; 11-26-2008 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: forgot

Old 11-26-2008, 01:01 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Taking the job would be dishonest as you've no intention of doing what the people who would hire you expect you to do.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:55 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
It costs a company a lot of money to train someone. No one with good character would ever do such a thing. It's dishonest, and it will catch up with you...
Man or louse... which are you....?

Old 11-26-2008, 05:14 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
Before accepting a job, you need to be honest with the employer. They are advertising for full time, but they may be open to hiring a college student. You really don't want to accept anything under false pretenses. It is a small world and you never know who will be your next boss. As Donn2390 said, it is expensive to train employees, and you are judged by your character. You already know the right thing to do, so you need to step up and do it. I agree that a temp agency might be more appropriate; it's how I and many others worked through college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment