Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 05:38 AM

46 posts, read 100,370 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, what is the proper, pc way to quit your job. I know your supposed to put in your two weeks. Should I put it in writing or can I just tell my boss verbally. What should I say, what shouldn't I say?

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 05:49 AM

496 posts, read 941,062 times
According to everything I have read, it is good etiquette to write a 'thank you for the opportunity... I have learned blah blah while I was here' and send it via email or written mail. Just something summing up your experience. If you hated the job, you might make some modest observations and positive suggestions, but the majority is usually how blessed you are to have had that position and how it prepares you so well for your next career move. etc.

If you really have good rapport and want to mention it in person, you could step into an office with your business letter in hand and sit down and summarize your letter. I gave 6 weeks notice last time I left because I wanted to make sure they had time to train someone well before I left. But two weeks is a standard.

Good luck with it! Congrats!

Old 05-12-2009, 06:09 AM

46 posts, read 100,370 times
Great advice, thanks. The entire company only has about 500 employees max, with about 10 at our branch. So I think I will hand a letter to my manager as I dont really have much contact with the home office.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:31 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
Both verbal and written. You will want to tell your boss and have the letter typed. Thank them for the opportunity and let them know that you would like to work your last two weeks to support the transition. If they decide to let you go that day then so be it. Be cordial and professional. Never burn bridges.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:50 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
In person with a resignation letter in hand.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:31 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlxin View Post
Hi everyone, what is the proper, pc way to quit your job. I know your supposed to put in your two weeks. Should I put it in writing or can I just tell my boss verbally. What should I say, what shouldn't I say?

Thanks for your help
When I quit, I just write a brief letter with my name and my proposed date of quitting/termination and that is it!! and end it with Sincerly,

Why? If you say more, than later have to sue them for some reason or have to file unemployment on the next job, for some reason, that letter could come back to bite you. If you have to say anything, that you are leaving for another job, if you have to say anything.

just a thought!

Old 05-12-2009, 09:59 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
When I quit, I just write a brief letter with my name and my proposed date of quitting/termination and that is it!! and end it with Sincerly,

Why? If you say more, than later have to sue them for some reason or have to file unemployment on the next job, for some reason, that letter could come back to bite you. If you have to say anything, that you are leaving for another job, if you have to say anything.

just a thought!
If you quit you most likely aren't going to get unemployment. As for suing, I would think people would sue before quitting but I could be wrong.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:36 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
If you quit you most likely aren't going to get unemployment. As for suing, I would think people would sue before quitting but I could be wrong.

Yes, you can't get u.c. on the employer you quit on, but the next one you can, UNLESS you have stupidly given them informaton, i.e. especially written it down, which they will send to the U.C. judge. Why? Because when you file u.c. on the second employer down the line, they send it to any employer you worked for the last 12 months. If you write down that you are quitting for any reason other than antoher job, like to learn tango in argentina or to go to school or to tend your garden you will have a lot of problems!

So, lets say, I am working for you! I quit and you say why are you quitting and I say because you yelled at me too many times. And I stupidly put this down on my resignation letter.

Then 2 months later I get another job- the 2nd employer, and the person terminates me because there is no work.

Well, normally you would be elible for U.C.? The answer is Yes! BUT Not for YOU ;-)) Why? Because you stupidly told your 1st employer you were quitting, because of personality conflict or to teach whales how to swim in new zealand.

When you should have said, i am quitting for another job or not said anything at all!!

Always leave yourself wiggle room, since things don't always happen the way you want them to.

And even the nicest employer is not going to be happy when you file for U.C., even if another employer is "charged" but they are still on your U.C. claim, since you didn't work enough for the 2nd employer.

Hope this helps!

p.s. People usually sue after they quit, and cite the reason for quitting was X, Y or Z discriminatory reason. But of course, it is not as simple as quitting. You do need to lay a paper trail, before you quit.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:12 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,993 times
I tell them AND write a letter informing them this is my official 2 weeks notice. Beyond that, it doesn't matter, you'll be a memory

Old 05-12-2009, 03:25 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I once had a nightmare job (psych nursing) where everything was wrong, dangerous, illegal, etc. People didn't like my speaking up and started a story that I'd come to work drunk and was addicted to drugs (neither remotely true, and they had nothing to back it up). I was asked to resign (got fired) and handed a one-line typed note "resigning effective today." The manager said, "I see you're ready for this." I said, "I don't know how to work in an environment like this." She said, "Well, I want to give you two months to resign, so you can save face with the staff." I said, "I've got nothing to save- all this gossiping and you know it isn't true. I can't work like this. I'm out of here today."
I still remember her sickly toothy smile, as she said, "Frankly, I'm short of nurses and I need you."
(Bear in mind I was young and mad...) I said, "I'd rather hook in the street than work for you," and left. Song on the car radio, "Take This Job and Shove It."
Three months later, I got a notice from the RN Board of Registration, detailing made-up things I supposedly said and the thought that I was chemically impaired. It took three months, $1000 for a lawyer (and this was 1984) and a hearing to end the torture, but my people elsewhere heard the rumor and I was in a compromised position job-hunting for some time.
Not only am I (was I) forever bitter and sick at heart, I also wonder if she would have taken me to the board if I hadn't mouthed off. However, I also couldn't see working with people who either thought I was addicted or wanted to think it, in a very dangerous environment, where it would easy to set someone up for a fall.
It was ten years before I could even talk about it.
And people wonder why I want to retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment