Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much do you like/dislike your job or business?
I have a job and I totally hate it! 5 22.73%
I have a job and I don't like it. 4 18.18%
I have a job and I'm neutral about it. 2 9.09%
I have a job and I like it. 6 27.27%
I have a job and I totally love it! 1 4.55%
I have a business and I totally hate it! 1 4.55%
I have a business and I don't like it. 0 0%
I have a business and I'm neutral about it. 0 0%
I have a business and I like it. 0 0%
I have a business and I totally love it! 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 06:44 AM

681 posts, read 2,878,765 times

Advertisements

If you "have a job", vote in the "have a job" options. If you "have a business", vote in the "have a business" options. If you have both, vote according to the one which makes you more money currently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 09:04 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,384,528 times
Wow! 100% of the people, so far, agree with me. Oh... I'm first. It will be interesting how many people actually hate the job they have. Is it the job, or the personalities that make it good or bad? In my case, my boss, co-workers, and job are enjoyable.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:43 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,242,333 times
I am self employed these days, but when I worked in an office I hated it. I hated that someone felt that my quality of work would improve if I wore pantyhose. I hated it that nobody ever acknowledged what was done correctly, but everyone was quick to brutally point out any mistake no matter how small. I hated the politics. I am a much happier person these days.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:59 AM

For me, it's the "extras" of the job. I'm a public high school teacher for now... at least until my music business takes off. The actual classroom teaching is fine. There are few "co-workers" with whom I have to work during the day, as I teach alone in my room. I have some difficult kids, but controlling them isn't really a big deal.

What I hate are the extras... the "professional development" sessions (look it up in the dictionary- that comes from "professionalitus developmenticus"- Latin for "complete waste of time"... heeheehee)... the hours upon hours spent grading papers... the requirements that we have to contact students' parents... the "you MUST be here from 8 to 4:30 save for your lunch break even if you have other things you have to do during those times because that's when most other offices are open"... the mounds and mounds of paperwork which of course have to be completed in your "personal time"... the coming to my room and discovering that the custodians had changed all of the locks in our building without telling anyone (such that my keys no longer worked)... yeah.

If all I had to do was teach my kids, I'd be fine with it.

When my income was all derived from my business (way back before I moved...), I loved it. I called the shots, nobody told me what to do, and the only people I had to answer to were my clients (who were MUCH more easygoing than a boss). I worked my butt off but I loved it.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:04 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,024 times
I work in HR for a call center(don't worry no outbound telemarketing from us, just inbound cust. service except for our collections dept.)

I love it, the people, the respect given there.. the little perks likelots of free food, volunteering opportunites, free raffles.. life is good. However, I feel very lonely being the only one who voted, I Love It!!!

The only thing that would make it more perfect for me is it being in Maine.. how hard would it be to transplant a 3,000 person call center over 1300 miles?

Old 12-03-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
I work in HR for a call center(don't worry no outbound telemarketing from us, just inbound cust. service except for our collections dept.)

I love it, the people, the respect given there.. the little perks likelots of free food, volunteering opportunites, free raffles.. life is good. However, I feel very lonely being the only one who voted, I Love It!!!

The only thing that would make it more perfect for me is it being in Maine.. how hard would it be to transplant a 3,000 person call center over 1300 miles?
Some people really do love their jobs and would much rather have someone else pay their paycheck than to have to be the masters of their own destiny. I was expecting some votes for "I love my job"... but amusingly enough, the results I've gotten up to this point are about what I expected. America is a really screwed up society when most of the people work at jobs they don't like purely to make money. I don't think that was the original plan, ya know? Aren't we all meant to do something truly meaningful with our lives, rather than the square block of our individuality trying to be fit into the round hole of someone else's job? We really need to stop being so greedy and start living simpler lives. Then maybe we could get by on less of a salary, and we'd be able to do what we love doing. I mean, do you really need a huge house and a new car? My mom was one of seven kids growing up in a 2-bedroom bungalow... and they turned out fine.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:15 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
Some people really do love their jobs and would much rather have someone else pay their paycheck than to have to be the masters of their own destiny. I was expecting some votes for "I love my job"... but amusingly enough, the results I've gotten up to this point are about what I expected. America is a really screwed up society when most of the people work at jobs they don't like purely to make money. I don't think that was the original plan, ya know? Aren't we all meant to do something truly meaningful with our lives, rather than the square block of our individuality trying to be fit into the round hole of someone else's job? We really need to stop being so greedy and start living simpler lives. Then maybe we could get by on less of a salary, and we'd be able to do what we love doing. I mean, do you really need a huge house and a new car? My mom was one of seven kids growing up in a 2-bedroom bungalow... and they turned out fine.

Ironically, I love my job and make okay money for someone who didn't finish her bachelor's. If DH were to vote on this thread, he would vote fot the I hate it option and makes less. We are very frugal folks. We paid off our home in under 10 years(2 jobs each) and our daughter paid her first year of college in cash(we are covering the other 3), other than that, we save and save. Our dream has been to move to Maine for about 5 years, but due to where we would like to go, we need to have our retirement nest egg complete. We will then be able to do more of the things we love including the ample volunteer opportunities in this town to really make a difference.

As for the "I have more than you" mentality, we have never been like that. No new cars, the house is a 2bdrm, etc. and we were like this long before the economic crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment