Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:51 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,942 times

Advertisements

In various threads I have seen some really negative opinions expressed about HR. Two of my relatives work in HR for two different companies and I have never had a negative association either in my work life or from hearing them discuss their jobs.

So why do posters on this forum seem to really have a rough time with what HR does? I have always understood that they are management representatives, and not employee advocates, so I wonder if that is not part of the issue? Maybe people think HR is there to really help them when their entire job is to advise management on how to hire, fire, compensate and deal with their staff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 12:55 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
Since HR tends to be involved when there's a firing, layoff, or disciplinary action, I think a lot of people mistrust HR.

Factor in the fact that everyone has a friend/relative who has told a story about being fired or disciplined unfairly (even though we only ever hear one side of the story), and that's going to make people even more mistrustful.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:05 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Since HR tends to be involved when there's a firing, layoff, or disciplinary action, I think a lot of people mistrust HR.

Factor in the fact that everyone has a friend/relative who has told a story about being fired or disciplined unfairly (even though we only ever hear one side of the story), and that's going to make people even more mistrustful.

Pretty much this.

But I have never really had a bad experience with an HR depts at my jobs and have generally found them to be helpful.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Maybe people think HR is there to really help them when their entire job is to advise management on how to hire, fire, compensate and deal with their staff?
I think you answered your own question.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:09 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I think you answered your own question.

Perhaps, but I figured that everyone kind of "got" this. It sort of boggles my mind that people seem not to. I have a coworker who runs to HR every time he has a personal issue like they are his therapists. It seems that people generally don't understand what purpose they serve.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:11 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
Quote:
Perhaps, but I figured that everyone kind of "got" this. It sort of boggles my mind that people seem not to. I have a coworker who runs to HR every time he has a personal issue like they are his therapists. It seems that people generally don't understand what purpose they serve.
I think many people do not.

It was only recently that I realized that HR is not there to advocate for the employee but to protect the employer. I think its a general misconception.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:12 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Why do people dislike HR?
I don't know, I guess some folks just don't like punk rock.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
HR is misunderstood. Mostly because people only interface with them at times of hiring, firing and layoffs. I've worked with HR at fortune 500 organizations in a different capacity. My organization builds custom HR software. The reality is that HR is the reason why your health premiums are only $50/month or why you get free daycare or free gym access. HR contains the benefits group which fights for the best deals for the employees.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:21 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I don't know, I guess some folks just don't like punk rock.
Sadly, I cannot rep you again just yet.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:55 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
It's not that people don't understand that HR only looks out for the mangement's best interest, but the fact that they're very condescending and passive aggressive about it towards the employees and potential employees of the company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment