Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:33 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon31337 View Post
All you people should be grateful for your jobs. There is very few jobs in michigan. After graduating highschool I had no where to go and could not get financial aid for college. You people do not realize what you have until it's gone. Something to think about. I would work my ass off today just to make $7.00 an hour.
You know, that's BS. You could have taken a student loan and attended community college or trade scool and worked f/t to support yourself like so many of us did. Myself included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 11:55 AM

21 posts, read 39,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You know, that's BS. You could have taken a student loan and attended community college or trade scool and worked f/t to support yourself like so many of us did. Myself included.
Not if you can't get a fulltime job. In that case, move somewhere where service industry jobs are plentiful, get one, and get your trade school loan. It will pay for itself!

Old 07-15-2009, 12:25 PM

123 posts, read 321,377 times
Ohhhh folks WE haven't even seen the tip of this iceberg (me included).
Employers know we are already in the beginning stage of a depression that will make the last one seem like Disneyland (so says my grandmother who is almost 90).

The employers know that an employee’s fear of losing a job gives them (the employer), license to mistreat, abuse, and turnover its staff at their whim. The employer who treats their employees as valuable assets really never existed except in a few small companies. It was a sweet myth though.

Since America is no longer a "production" country the temperaments of its employers will be the same of those in 3rd world countries. " Use em up, kick em out "

Oh well, so much for believing everything any politician and mainstream media tells you. Get a good preparedness book folks because this next ride will be closer to a train wreck.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:45 PM

Yeah, OK, I'm running out to buy a shot gun and water sanitizing tablets after work.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:54 PM

123 posts, read 321,377 times
Quote:
You know, that's BS. You could have taken a student loan and attended community college or trade scool and worked f/t to support yourself like so many of us did. Myself included
Excuse me ANNERK but your statement is as callous and lame as I have ever seen. You have no idea what this or that person could have done. You have no idea or knowledge of the amount of hurdles this or that person has to deal with or what is or is not available to THEM. Nor obviously do you care. And who are these "so many of us?"

Your statement is arrogant, dismissive and does nothing to encourage or assist this person or anyone else discover THEIR possible options.

YES...he MIGHT be able to get a loan for school but that begs the question whether or not he/she would be able to pay it back after they graduate and MAYBE find a job in a dwindling job market. I have 4 relatives graduated with master’s degrees and in debt to their eyeballs and the degrees do not matter in their field anymore .....It’s glutted! They created their own jobs and are doing well even in this economy but they are individuals who had very different hurdles to jump over!

So take your unhelpful, arrogant, hateful advice where it’s appreciated....in your own little circle.

To ICON I say this....

Find your talent, gifts and hobbies and look at how they may become actual businesses.

Start small, live frugal and surround yourself with people who consider you an equal whether you have a degree or not.

Need to go to school? Don't take out a loan. Use the PELL GRANTS, take 3 classes at a time. It will take longer but you won't have the weight of debt over you later. My cousin did this and although it took her 4 years instead of 2, she is now the Director of Nursing in a major Chicago hospital.

NEVER listen to people who tell you you should have DONE this thing or that.

Do what you are very good at, what you love and how it serves you and others.

Never consider roadblocks the end of the road.

Never allow anyone to discourage you from seeking out the ways and means to your goals even if those ways may seem outside the mainstream.

GO for IT. Whatever it is ...as long as it serves you in a positive way.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZBEA View Post
Excuse me ANNERK but your statement is as callous and lame as I have ever seen. You have no idea what this or that person could have done. You have no idea or knowledge of the amount of hurdles this or that person has to deal with or what is or is not available to THEM. Nor obviously do you care. And who are these "so many of us?"

I was a single mother working full time and getting no child support. I made $4 too much for EIC and didn't qualify for financial aid because I couldn't commit to being a full time student. I got no handouts, no assistance, nothing. I financed my education with student loans, so don't tell me about hurdles.

Quote:
Your statement is arrogant, dismissive and does nothing to encourage or assist this person or anyone else discover THEIR possible options.
Quote:

YES...he MIGHT be able to get a loan for school but that begs the question whether or not he/she would be able to pay it back after they graduate and MAYBE find a job in a dwindling job market. I have 4 relatives graduated with master’s degrees and in debt to their eyeballs and the degrees do not matter in their field anymore .....It’s glutted! They created their own jobs and are doing well even in this economy but they are individuals who had very different hurdles to jump over!

If people are careful about how much they spend on education and choose jobs in fields that actually have futures (and there are plenty), they can do quite well for themselves.

I guess I ruffled your feathers because I speak the truth and sometimes the truth hurts.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:01 PM

370 posts, read 440,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
[/font][/color]

I was a single mother working full time and getting no child support. I made $4 too much for EIC and didn't qualify for financial aid because I couldn't commit to being a full time student. I got no handouts, no assistance, nothing. I financed my education with student loans, so don't tell me about hurdles.

If people are careful about how much they spend on education and choose jobs in fields that actually have futures (and there are plenty), they can do quite well for themselves.

I guess I ruffled your feathers because I speak the truth and sometimes the truth hurts.

you obviously dont live in Michigan. I have offered to WORK FOR FREE and have 10 years in IT and the only thing I can find is part time working for a pizza chain making minimum wage. Im 37 years old and before this I worked since I was 14 so dont assume anything.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post
you obviously dont live in Michigan. I have offered to WORK FOR FREE and have 10 years in IT and the only thing I can find is part time working for a pizza chain making minimum wage. Im 37 years old and before this I worked since I was 14 so dont assume anything.
I'm referring to people right out of high school claiming they can't afford college. There are plenty of ways to afford college, many of them require taking on student loans, which for some reason have become the antichrist.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:28 PM

75 posts, read 575,041 times
I was let go at my last job because I applied for tuition re-imbursement benefit. My boss was using it too to pay for his MBA also. He has always tried to convince me to take company offered non-degree courses which I refused. He figured he better save his own ass before someone from above him takes a closer look at the dept cost. Selfish SOB!

Old 07-16-2009, 09:11 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon31337 View Post
All you people should be grateful for your jobs. There is very few jobs in michigan. After graduating highschool I had no where to go and could not get financial aid for college. You people do not realize what you have until it's gone. Something to think about. I would work my ass off today just to make $7.00 an hour.

2nd that. I get paid $4.19/hr plus my tips totalling around $10-15 for a 5-6 shift to get treated ****ty and have it hanging over my head every day that I could get cut from my ****ty job at any moment.

But I'm grateful to atleast be employed for those few ****ty weekly hours after being unemployed for 6 months and being unable to collect unemployment. I'm still applying to jobs everywhere, but nothing comes up. I would love to quit, but my $50/week job is better than my $0/week unemployment.

Kudos to you who quit your jobs and are willing to brave the seas of unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment