Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:28 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,337 times

Advertisements

I think everyone sympathizes with that, Dream.

Believe me, I don't want sympathy. I have 3 degrees... I don't want to dread going to work. Let me give you a few examples. My last job... for the last month I worked there, EXACTLY NO ONE called or emailed me. Granted, I worked from home, so maybe it was a case of "out of sight, out of mind". My job there? Spending 20 min a day creating a report and sending it, spending two days a month putting together an executive review, and one day a month presenting it. My current job? I've been there two weeks, and I've taken minutes for two meetings. I'm a damned analyst, and I'm taking minutes. For two one-hour meetings. This is a good use of company money? Suffice it to say I'm looking for a more challenging opportunity, but with this economy, I should probably just stay here.

Oh, EDIT: We're hiring. Isn't that amusing. I can't say the name of the company for obvious reasons (although, really, they already know I'm bored to tears), but yeah. Silly.

Last edited by tabbcat; 01-26-2009 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 09:48 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
I feel for everyone who has been laid off. I have been laid off in the past and it sucks.

Sad thing is, we laid off a bunch of people who do my job in November, and all of my peers are giong crazy with the extra work, I was glad to get it!

Old 01-26-2009, 10:21 PM

319 posts, read 1,911,520 times
I get bored at work when I get stuck on a problem, or I'm in between assignments from the boss. I really try not to goof off on the internet though...I usually just stick to e-mail (writing to family members if I need a break or I'm waiting on some analysis to run). I would hate to be on a forum or something and have someone look over my shoulder as we have a very open office. The boss walks around all the time. I'm new so I'd hate for them to have an excuse to fire me or something.

Then again all the guys are watching U-tube videos, listening to music (I have the radio on sometimes too), chatting, talking about videogames, etc. I just can't seem to justify "wasting" my time while on the clock. I like chatting for a couple minutes about my weekend but sitting down and having a half hour debate about something is a bit pushing it.

I did have a minimum wage hourly library job before this real job. I spent all the time I could doing homework, reading, surfing the web. That was expected.

The difference is that at my company we bill the customers for the projects...for a 40 hour week I'm expected to bill a customer for 40 hours (unless there was some admin time or a meeting, training, etc). I tend to work straight through lunch, take minimal breaks, and stay about 8-8.5 hours. I like to feel like I accomplished a lot at work. When I'm not getting enough to do I make it known in a nice way--not a nagging "I need work", but a "What can I help you with" or "I've finished this, what did you want me to do next?".

I love having a lot to work on--to choose and manage my time. I've still yet to be overwhelmed by anything except for when I just don't have the resources I need.

In this economy it doesn't seem like you should be the one not looking busy.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:24 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoisegirl View Post
In this economy it doesn't seem like you should be the one not looking busy.
Great point, and I totally agree.

They say when people at work are scared of lay offs, or there has been one. They go one of two ways.

They either bust their hump to show their importance to the company, etc..

Or they go into Shut-Down mode, where they don't do anything, whine and complain, etc..

Old 01-26-2009, 10:48 PM

319 posts, read 1,911,520 times
We just got word today that my fiance won't be part of a big series of lay-offs so we were happy. It's been worry time lately for how it would look to take a day off vs. work some short days (friend flying in), etc, in light of them laying people off. Ick. We were relieved to say the least.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:20 AM

395 posts, read 1,287,016 times
Most of my work is concentrated in the first 2 weeks of the month. I work nearly 14 to 16 hours a day during the first two weeks and the last 2 weeks are really boring. To make my work less boring, I took up a few projects to automate the process and to reduce manual work.
Good thing is that we also have a virtual university in our company which is totally free. We can enroll ourselves and complete a few courses if we like. I have a lot of certifications that way.

Last edited by Rakhi; 01-27-2009 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-27-2009, 07:31 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
I was glad to be called back to work last night but I knew I'd be bored as hell.
Thankfully we went home early because of worries about ice on the roads.
I'm grateful for a job though because so few jobs seem promising these days.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:59 AM
emh

298 posts, read 852,083 times
Actually I met this guy several years ago who was working for the CIA. He was new so there wasn't much work for him to do yet. And for obvious security reasons the CIA computers weren't hooked up to the outside world. So he had no internet access or email contact with the rest of the world.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:30 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
I am a Writer and had one job where I was reviewing red-line edits for medical device research. It was the most torturous job I've ever had in my life. They could have hired an English major, Intern, or even a high school student good at English to do that job and did not need a real Writer. It was the most boring job I've ever had in my entire life.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:49 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,337 times
http://polhudson.lohudblogs.com/2009...-no-work-case/

I knew there was something about this in the news!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment