Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:47 PM

32 posts, read 184,522 times

Advertisements

I can not get over how boring most work is. In the movies and television everyone works at great employers doing interesting work with beautiful people, but in the real world most jobs just seem so miserable.

It gets really old doing the same task over and over and over! And most of my coworkers do not like each other and do their best to avoid interaction. It does not give me alot of warm and fuzzies.

I know people though that do the most routine and boring jobs and they love every minute of it, somehow. Is it a case of low mentality, lies or low expectations. How can people do anything every single day and not be bored silly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 03:01 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
you are kidding-right?
Get on your knees-now and thank God you have a job. Sheeeeeeeeesh!
P.S. what is your location? When you get bored enough I'm sure someone will be glad to take your place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet nut View Post
I can not get over how boring most work is. In the movies and television everyone works at great employers doing interesting work with beautiful people, but in the real world most jobs just seem so miserable.

It gets really old doing the same task over and over and over! And most of my coworkers do not like each other and do their best to avoid interaction. It does not give me alot of warm and fuzzies.

I know people though that do the most routine and boring jobs and they love every minute of it, somehow. Is it a case of low mentality, lies or low expectations. How can people do anything every single day and not be bored silly?

Old 01-26-2009, 03:49 PM

171 posts, read 815,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
you are kidding-right?
Get on your knees-now and thank God you have a job. Sheeeeeeeeesh!
P.S. what is your location? When you get bored enough I'm sure someone will be glad to take your place.

You can recognize that you're lucky to have a job in a tough economy, and also recognize that it's still just as boring and tedious as it was in a good economy .

Old 01-26-2009, 04:04 PM
emh

298 posts, read 852,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet nut View Post

Oh boredom was a major factor in why I quit my job. In fact, I quit the same job twice. The second time, I was making nearly 6 figures with great benefits. But it wasn't enough for me to sacrifice my soul over. But I quit it over a year ago, before the economy fell apart. Hard to say if I'd make the same decision today.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:44 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,337 times
Finally, a good forum to say this.

My last three jobs have been RIDICULOUSLY boring. I get paid very well ($75k) and haven't had more than... 10 hours of actual work to do per week. I seriously spend more time surfing the internet than working. And please don't think this is a reflection on my work ethic, because I'm constantly asking for more to do.

It makes me wonder... how many other people are doing this? How much productivity is being wasted?

Old 01-26-2009, 05:51 PM
emh

298 posts, read 852,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
Finally, a good forum to say this.

My last three jobs have been RIDICULOUSLY boring. I get paid very well ($75k) and haven't had more than... 10 hours of actual work to do per week. I seriously spend more time surfing the internet than working. And please don't think this is a reflection on my work ethic, because I'm constantly asking for more to do.

It makes me wonder... how many other people are doing this? How much productivity is being wasted?
Oh yeah, I did lots of web surfing too. Same reason. Not enough to do. Which makes me wonder...what the heck did people do when they were bored at work before the invention of the internet???

Old 01-26-2009, 06:24 PM

732 posts, read 4,158,065 times
Where I work I get yelled at if I stop working for 30 seconds for anything. What are you people doing that requires you to work so little for so much money? How can the company afford to pay you if you arent doing anything? I once got fired from a min wage job because I was browsing the internet at work while doing a 12 hour shift with nothing to do.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:05 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,337 times
All analyst positions (business, metrics, software requirements). It's crazy, right? It's not that we're not doing anything though. I do all of my work... there just isn't much to be done and my bosses haven't seemed to care. Believe me, I'm on their asses looking for things to do. I don't WANT to be bored out of my tree. In my current position, it's not just me. There's at least one other person on the team with the same issue.

Last edited by tabbcat; 01-26-2009 at 09:01 PM..

Old 01-26-2009, 08:33 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
I can agree.

I actually enjoy my job. I like what I do, and I typically enjoy going to work.

My thing is though, it can be very boring.

I have things I am required to do, on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.

I have gotten so proficient and good at these tasks that I finish them too fast, leaving me lots of free time. I actually seek out work to do at work, and do lots of extra stuff that the company needs done.

The sad part is that my peers can barely get done with their core duties. And, it is not that they perform them better, because my numbers kill theirs. I wonder what they do all day, as I have so much free time it is crazy.

An issue with me, is that I get no benefit for doing extra tasks, and actually catch crap from my peers because it makes them look bad that I am the one catching stuff, fixing stuff, coaching my reps more, etc. We get no bonuses, and our raises are going to be crap again this year.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:02 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
wish I could muster up some sympathy for you guys

I'll sympathize with you all if you'll sympathize with those of us who can't find a job even with over 15-20 years experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment