Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 04:15 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,243 times

Advertisements

That's the one thing I like about my job, I'm never bored. I'm lucky if I get to check my e-mail once a day. I don't do anything personal on the computer at my job (it's in an area where all others can use it and also see what I'm doing).

I posted about something similar on the education forum a while back. This during the summer when I'm off, I spent some time on another message board. There were women at work who were on the computer all day long. Seriously, like 1000 posts a week. I never was able to wrap my head around this. I'm just happy to have 5 minutes to go to the bathroom.

Last year, I had a part time job in a department store. My department was not very busy, and I was bored. I hated it. Time moved so slowly. Although it sucks to be bored, I agree with others that you should be happy to have any job. Especially if the job covers all of your bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 04:19 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,243 times
Wow, I wish you were allowed to delete your posts. I would have fixed all of my typos and then reposted. Please pardon my mistakes in the post above this one.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:36 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
I LOOOVE my job, but unfortunately it's really hit and miss. I'm required to be at work and available 40+ hours a week, but sometimes i have zero to do for hours on end. I tool around the internet... reorganize stuff... take half empty trashes out...count things (I'm the inventory/shipping/receiving/etc. gal) and then sometimes BAM! I am swamped for days on end. I've learned to appreciate the down time and prepare for the crazy times. I really do love being here though, and for that I'm really really lucky

Old 02-07-2009, 12:08 PM

8 posts, read 22,202 times
My experience has been the higher up the food chain you are... the easier the job is. I always tried to be empathic with those in the lower (for lack of better word) positions. But, in all honesty, being nice is not part of the game when you are at the top of the food chain. Staying there is - playing the poker game in mtgs, knowing whose ass to kiss (which is really the hardest part), and faking your importance. That's why they're always on edge, they're afraid of being found out. Before you look to harshly me... all of my former reports always told me that I was their favorite boss ever. (Kiss assing, maybe...altho, it usually occurred when the company was being bought and sold and we all were being laid off.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:33 AM

171 posts, read 815,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by run12run View Post
My experience has been the higher up the food chain you are... the easier the job is. I always tried to be empathic with those in the lower (for lack of better word) positions. But, in all honesty, being nice is not part of the game when you are at the top of the food chain. Staying there is - playing the poker game in mtgs, knowing whose ass to kiss (which is really the hardest part), and faking your importance. That's why they're always on edge, they're afraid of being found out. Before you look to harshly me... all of my former reports always told me that I was their favorite boss ever. (Kiss assing, maybe...altho, it usually occurred when the company was being bought and sold and we all were being laid off.
Hey, that's very honest of you! I really commend you on that.
On a different note, it does confirm my suspicions .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment