Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 09:38 AM

727 posts, read 1,096,928 times

Advertisements

I received a semi response from the head of Ga DOL Andrea Harper:
I am sorry you have not gotten the information you need. Doris Yates from our policy area will respond to your e-mail today. You can be assured that we are doing everything possible to get any benefits or sevices we can provide to those who need them. If you want to speak by phone, my number is 404-232-7320.
We will see what she has to say about all this-I will post when I get the response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 09:44 AM

462 posts, read 989,402 times
I spoke with an employment attorney today, he said his phone is ringing off the hook. I asked him how familiar he was with HB 581 and the specific GA guidelines for EB, work searches, and retro. Considering his specialty, I think I may have offended him...LOL. First of all he said that Ga is within the guidelines of the ARRA in not giving us retro. It is their option, and while he does not agree with the stand they are taking, it is the federal government that gave them the choice. As far as the work searches are concerned, he agreed that the GADOL is over their heads, and it would be impossible for them to check everyones search record. They will randomly audit....the computer will select individuals to have their work search records checked. It is the same process that they use with other government programs such as food stamps. I also asked if we would have to mail or fax in our records. His response was that the DOL can barely keep up with the work load that they already have. Flooding the offices with 35 thousand work search records a week would be counter productive. That would be 140 thousand a month. They are not staffed to handle that kind of volume of email/snail mail/fax paperwork. Actually he recited part of the SEB confirmation that states: "You must maintain a weekly written record of your work search efforts, which is subject to audit" He was just as confused as we are when it came to the question about getting the money to us. So, before I hung up I threw the idea of a class action lawsuit out....just to test the waters. He politely thanked me for calling, with no response other than "interesting". AS we know, only too well, he could be all wrong....LOLOL

Old 06-05-2009, 09:53 AM

Interesting "fishing" article concerning Thurmond and whether or when he will announce if he is running for LT Gov. His response was he will not comment till July-my take after we start getting the funds.
Your morning jolt: Democratic eyes turn to the race for lieutenant governor | Political Insider

Old 06-05-2009, 09:55 AM

Good for you SMS-especially your comment about a class action lawsuit. I am starting to believe that this is a political posturing we are seeing from GA DOL-no response from the AJC. So we will see what the lady form the DOL has to say.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:00 AM

309 posts, read 649,551 times
Default work search

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS200 View Post
I spoke with an employment attorney today, he said his phone is ringing off the hook. I asked him how familiar he was with HB 581 and the specific GA guidelines for EB, work searches, and retro. Considering his specialty, I think I may have offended him...LOL. First of all he said that Ga is within the guidelines of the ARRA in not giving us retro. It is their option, and while he does not agree with the stand they are taking, it is the federal government that gave them the choice. As far as the work searches are concerned, he agreed that the GADOL is over their heads, and it would be impossible for them to check everyones search record. They will randomly audit....the computer will select individuals to have their work search records checked. It is the same process that they use with other government programs such as food stamps. I also asked if we would have to mail or fax in our records. His response was that the DOL can barely keep up with the work load that they already have. Flooding the offices with 35 thousand work search records a week would be counter productive. That would be 140 thousand a month. They are not staffed to handle that kind of volume of email/snail mail/fax paperwork. Actually he recited part of the SEB confirmation that states: "You must maintain a weekly written record of your work search efforts, which is subject to audit" He was just as confused as we are when it came to the question about getting the money to us. So, before I hung up I threw the idea of a class action lawsuit out....just to test the waters. He politely thanked me for calling, with no response other than "interesting". AS we know, only too well, he could be all wrong....LOLOL
just suppose the new software they are getting up and running puts it straight into our file when we go about certifying , all done by our social and pin. they then verify when /if some one gets called for an audit. all they have to do is pull up our social and viola...there it is at their fingertips

Old 06-05-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginamae38 View Post
just suppose the new software they are getting up and running puts it straight into our file when we go about certifying , all done by our social and pin. they then verify when /if some one gets called for an audit. all they have to do is pull up our social and viola...there it is at their fingertips
and just suppose the moon is made of cream cheese....LOLOL.....I am only teasing. They could be working on that very thing. We won't know until we know!!

Old 06-05-2009, 10:04 AM

461 posts, read 945,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishva View Post
Interesting "fishing" article concerning Thurmond and whether or when he will announce if he is running for LT Gov. His response was he will not comment till July-my take after we start getting the funds.
Your morning jolt: Democratic eyes turn to the race for lieutenant governor | Political Insider
If he runs he won't get my vote.........EVER!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2009, 10:09 AM

he won't get mine either.....nor the vote of anyone I know. My family and friends are appalled at the treatment we are getting.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:11 AM

461 posts, read 945,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginamae38 View Post
Well I talked to a rep and she said it would basically be done the same way. Keep up with your records and when they call you to bring them in bring them in.

She said that they would just probably call in more people to take a look at their searches than they did under the other tiers. Keep up with the in case you are called because if you do look for work you will be disqualified and have to pay the money back.

As long as each of us are looking and documenting we will be alright. No need in stressing because we know we will have to submitt searches if called.
I just want them to show me the money.............. now........... I can show them my searches.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:42 AM

23 posts, read 37,666 times
too bad we cant get the kind of media coverage that georgia judges are getting. Judges from georgia are banning together to sue gov. perdue over their pay cuts. shouldn't we be able to do the same sort of thing!!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment