Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 05:18 PM

266 posts, read 1,108,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldvn View Post
"Do you guys think I could sue my employer for this? Or am I out of luck... "

If you sue them, how much would be enough to lose your job over it?
Fair question. But since they can't hire anyone to replace me either, would they honestly get rid of me because I filed a complaint?

This is not so much my worry. My problem is I don't know who I should file a complaint with and if I did do I even stand a chance? Is there a law that covers my situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 05:22 PM

266 posts, read 1,108,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
More important than that do you want another job sometime down the road? If you sue it will be a matter of public record, your name will pop up on google and everyone from here on out will see you sued an employer.

All I can say is if you sue you better get millions because I wouldn't touch you with a ten foot pole. Ever.

Ok, it was a crappy thing that happened to you but do you think companies are manufacturing up money out of thin air right now? The huge majority of companies are doing well right now just to stay solvent and yes, sometimes well intentioned promises can't be kept due to unforeseen circumstances.

It's like you promising your kid you will be taking him to Disneyland next April but what happens to that promise if you lose your job in February? You still going to go or are you going to be a sneaky, low down, good for nothing lying parent?

Get a grip on reality before you invite a shark to swim up your butt.
The higher ups who make upwards of $300,000 a year are still getting raises and promotions. They only froze wages for the administrative staff. My company is huge and they make more money in a month than you would believe. I see the financial reports they send out every month. I attend meeting after meeting where the managers tell us how good the company is doing despite the economy.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:26 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,977,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny AZ View Post
I have emails to back up my claim, but not a formal contract or anything like that. Do I have recourse, or am I basically just stuck?
Without a written contract, you have a very sad situation but not one that is actionable under the law -- which is what any attorney would tell you.

You've made your disappointment to your company clear -- and they have been consistent in their replies.

I agree with the advice already given -- suck it up and work hard to maintain your performance rating until you find a new job.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:45 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,042 times
Quote:
Yes, although what is different about my situation (or at least why I see it differently) is that I already took the promotion. It's not that they have been promising me a new position and put those plans on hold. They let me go through with and start the new job and I have been doing it for 8 months now. The only thing they suddenly weren't able to do was give me the extra money...which was obviously a factor in me taking the position in the first place. If it weren't for the raise I thought I would get, I would have passed.

And if this makes a difference, let me share this too. I am definitely not a higher up. I am an admin assistant basically and just got moved up to a higher level of assisting.
I don't think maybe I was explicit enough. In all of the roles, I did begin the promotion (in other words I accepted the new responsibilities) before any pay was changed.

I am not a higher up--- unless you consider that I am essentially playing interim manager right now (although only a few know this since it is not like my title has changed-- i.e. people who work directly with me, for me, etc).

I started out in my careers with admin assistant-- and for me it was always important to grow and continue in other roles. I usually had to begin my proving it first without the title if that makes sense.

However, not everyone wants that same kind of path-- and I respect that.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:52 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,042 times
Quote:
Fair question. But since they can't hire anyone to replace me either, would they honestly get rid of me because I filed a complaint?

This is not so much my worry. My problem is I don't know who I should file a complaint with and if I did do I even stand a chance? Is there a law that covers my situation?
Why can't they hire anyone to replace you?

I mean, I am even replaceable at my company-- and I know for a fact out of the "non-managerial" staff in our group I am ranked number 1-- and in a group of over 300 I am pretty much in the top 10 of all employees for their retention plans. Not bragging, but just pointing out that even though my company is trying to work with the few of us in that category for retention I know if I were to leave-- I am still like the proverbial hand being removed from a bucket of water. I will make a couple ripples but after a few minutes-- there will be no loss of water or even a quake of my departure. They could hire another BA/SA who will be able to do what I do with enough time.

I mean I guess I could see how if you were someone like Steve Jobs where the identity of the entire company surrounds your personality, drive, etc.

I am honestly not trying to be bitchy, but just trying to maybe help you think critically about whatever decision you plan to make.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:56 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,977,338 times
Quote:
But since they can't hire anyone to replace me either, would they honestly get rid of me because I filed a complaint?
EVERYONE is replaceable.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
If you have a contract then its probably enforceable.Without you could sue but most attorney's would want money for l;egal expenses upfront.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:52 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,719,194 times
Quote:
Yes, I do intend to keep this job for probably the next year or two. The job is boring and the pay stinks (even after the raise it's still beans), but the health benefits are awesome. So I do it for my family.
So you want to sue over 20% of beans? Based on something your boss said over the phone that was later rescinded company-wide? Sorry, I don't think lawyers will be beating down your door to take the case.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:09 PM

691 posts, read 2,329,399 times
Sorry, without the money in writing, and a contract, there is really nothing you can do. It sounds like it was vague, so this is a lesson learned, when an employer says something like that about pay, be assertive and business like and request that information in a contract/job offer. That was the time to discuss this when the job was offered.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
we very much need unions i am seeing lots of stuff like this on CDF very common now. i think employee laws suits are very weak unless backed by collective bargaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment