Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:32 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessinGeorgia View Post
MovinOn, maybe you should learn a little more about SSDI. You said "#1, I don't think ANYONE on SSDI should be vacationing in France. If you have the wherewithall to do that, get a job."

I sincerely hope you are joking. Please say you were, because that is such an ignorant statement to make and uncalled for. I am on SSDI and if I save my money, I can go on vacation to anywhere I darn well please. Go see how hard it is to get SSDI and what you have to do to earn it. Please see my reply to Annerk, as I don't want to repeat myself. There is nothing to keep me from eating dinner at a fine restaurant or vacationing in the Swiss Alps if I can afford it on my SSDI. Do you even know what SSDI stands for and have you ever known a disabled person not to do what they can? Ever see Little People, Big World on TLC? They are disabled. They collect SSDI. They travel all over the place. Think about what you said. You owe so many disabled people an apology.
I agree with you 100% too. I just got SSDI and waited 2 yrs for it an was the worst time in my life living on very litle my wife made. Getting surgeries in line now for help on my disabilities but will stll take a long, long timeto get better. I make enough to live on now and wifes income is extra, bt we also just moved to Nebraska as it is cheaper here.

I am all th time being told that everybody is paying my SSDI and I am worthless but am getting real tired of explaining the differance. Now I just say I am retired and don't mention disability and SSDI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 04:16 PM

139 posts, read 254,693 times
Jesse69 don't let these people get you down I've seen and dealt with people such as this and they hate to see someone with a rocky past get a head that's society haha right?
yOU JUST KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON THAT'S WHAT i DO whoops

Old 10-19-2009, 04:17 PM

Jesse69 don't let these people get you down I've seen and dealt with people such as this and they hate to see someone with a rocky past get a head that's society haha right?
yOU JUST KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON THAT'S WHAT i DO whoops the caps key got me.
Anyway you know what's right for you and you're family and to heck with that old guy you punched sometines they have it coming too even if they are decreeped.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:37 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
Clueless in GA,

I was talking to Jesse. In his case (and correct me if I am wrong), he is on SSDI for mental illness and could work if he put forth the effort. Sorry, but anyone on SSDI in that situation should not be traveling the world. In cases of mental illness (for which no treatment works and one is rendered truly incapacitated, it's different) Jesse has indicated that Geodon makes him stable so it's time to get a job - even at McDonalds if that is what it takes. If he wants to travel on wages earned through McDonalds (or his mom paying for it), more power to him. However, the bit about collecting UI while in France is illegal.

Oh, and as a sidenote, I knew someone dx'd with bipolar who was collecting $1900 a month. He drove with a handicapped sign in his car. He was perfectly able bodied. He even would get his eyebrows waxed. There is something wrong with a picture wherein someone can get their eyebrows waxed on the public dime while someone else is forced to work at McDonalds and can barely put food on the table.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina Van Down By The River View Post
yOU JUST KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON THAT'S WHAT i DO whoops the caps key got me.
Anyway you know what's right for you and you're family and to heck with that old guy you punched sometines they have it coming too even if they are decreeped.
What?! You must be joking, right? No one minds seeing someone with a rocky past get ahead, what people mind is someone doing it on their tax dollars and then bragging over how he doesn't have to stoop to working at McDonalds.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:03 PM

16 posts, read 36,856 times
(I am replying but, I do so requesting that no one writes back with an "aw, poor thing type of response")

I receive SSI.
I was rear-ended in a car accident. Changed my life in an instant.
I have severe muscle, severe tissue, severe nerve damage. I have spondylosis,
compressed, bulged, and collapsed discs in my neck and back. My damage
starts at c2-3 and goes all the way to the very end of my spine.
It took me almost 10 years to get SSI. Now, I am labeled fully disabled.
That was the hardest thing...well, after I knew I had to walk with the cane - even
though I am not that old...the hardest thing was admitting I was disabled...at least to myself
it was. I was always independent. Now, I need help.

I am in pain everyday - even though I receive treatments -through a state
provided health insurance- on a regular basis.
I walk...with a cane but, I walk...not far and not fast but, I do it. I walk.

I can't sit for long, I can't stand for long, and I have to sit in a chair with arms so
I can put the weight of my body on my arms and elbows.

I make myself carry on with life.
There are lots of I can'ts but, I will not give into them easily.
I do not drive and am dependent on someone to drive me.
I may need a home health aide in the near future which my state medical will
cover.
I may be in a tolerable pain now but, in 5 minutes I maybe drastically
worse.
I have terrible migraine headaches...the pain from my neck radiates into my jaw...
I have no mobility in my neck...I can't turn right and I can't turn left. I can not
look up...my neck is frozen...I can move it downward some...and my head drops
forward when the pain is bad...and I wear a medical collar... my neck is so bad
I can not take public transportation - the vibrations would have me screaming in
pain.

I can not raise my arms above what looks like I am saying 'field goal'...I can not
hyper extend my arms either.
My hands cramp. My feet cramp. I shake like I have parkinson's disease.
I can not raise my feet straight up off the ground...I slide them forward to walk.
My back usually feels like someone jammed a pencil in it, it burns like fire,
and cramps and goes into spasms.
I get pain down the back of my legs...makes my calves go numb.
I can go on...

Yes, I get SSI. It was a hellish battle to get it.
I also got a small amount of money from the car accident which I
have invested wisely.
I get state health care which cost me nothing.

BUT....(and you knew that was coming)
My accident effected my life but, also it effected my children's and my family's
lives.

I am thrifty and I will always be able to survive. It's not much from SSI but, I
can not work and what I do have I am a good steward with.

I will not be traveling to anywhere unless I am able to lie down along the way...
I just can't manage otherwise....so, unless there is a free or really cheap cruise
to somewhere - count me out.

If and this is a big if...I had the choice of SSI or a magic wand. I would much rather have
my life before the accident. I'd choose the magic wand.
That's a no brainer.

Last edited by bethboon2009; 10-19-2009 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: forgot...

Old 10-19-2009, 06:26 PM

Yep, they'll kick when your down but just keep punching!

Old 10-19-2009, 07:14 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
Wow, it amazes me that it was hard for others to get SSDI. Maybe some offices are tough and don't like to give SSDI to people - like the Houston SSDI Office that scammed me out of a reapplication. My local Chicago SSDI Office must be nice and readily offer SSDI to those who qualify without a hard time.

Even though I do get SSDI, I have a right to take a vacation if I want to.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:09 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Wow, it amazes me that it was hard for others to get SSDI. Maybe some offices are tough and don't like to give SSDI to people - like the Houston SSDI Office that scammed me out of a reapplication. My local Chicago SSDI Office must be nice and readily offer SSDI to those who qualify without a hard time.

Even though I do get SSDI, I have a right to take a vacation if I want to.
As long as tax payers aren't paying for it, I don't see what the big deal is.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
As long as tax payers aren't paying for it, I don't see what the big deal is.
Yeah, as long as his mom is paying for it, I agree. However, there still is the issue of vacationing in France and not being available for work.

Oh, I don't care. There are bigger fish to fry, like bailing out Wall Street and the banks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment