Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 06:14 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,750,317 times

Advertisements

Is anyone here on Welfare and other Public Aid? I think this is what many unemployed / "can't get a job in this bad economy" Americans might do... So what do you get and how much? Is life livable? How did you qualify and get it?

Me, my unemployment benefits just ended this week so no more income but $1018 monthly SSDI. And I get Medicare A & B. I'm just so lucky to get this because of my Paranoia disability. When I first applied for this stuff at the suggestion of my uncle back in 2001 I never thought I'd get it. But it has been a great lifesaver from poverty for me! Yeah, I don't have to work at McDonald's!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 11:22 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,078,866 times

Most people can't get welfare, they don't just hand it out to able bodied people without dependent children. No one wants to hear how you're milking the system from the TAX DOLLARS WE ALL PAY TO SUPPORT YOUR LAZY ASS.

Sell your expensive bikes and cars to live off of, and stop bragging about living large on the back of the rest of the country--including a lot of people without jobs right now.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:39 AM

141 posts, read 330,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Is anyone here on Welfare and other Public Aid? I think this is what many unemployed / "can't get a job in this bad economy" Americans might do... So what do you get and how much? Is life livable? How did you qualify and get it?

Me, my unemployment benefits just ended this week so no more income but $1018 monthly SSDI. And I get Medicare A & B. I'm just so lucky to get this because of my Paranoia disability. When I first applied for this stuff at the suggestion of my uncle back in 2001 I never thought I'd get it. But it has been a great lifesaver from poverty for me! Yeah, I don't have to work at McDonald's!!
Jesse, I am not here to bash you and I won't, but..............Paranoia? What are you doing here then. I can tell you a little bit about this paranoia you are talking about and being on this sight doesn't really fit the bill. I have a family member that can not hardly deal in the real world at all due to this. However; he works without receiving any government help and would be appalled by your post. Your SSI is more than most people in my area receive from wages monthly. It feels as if your bragging. I don't take offense but some people may.

And I got some more news for you. There are more than a few families who live off of McDonald's wages and a few families who would feel blessed to have a job at McDonalds in these hard times.

To answer your question though, I do receive government assistance in the form of Soonercare. I probably qualify for other assistance but as long as I'm perfectly capable of working, I won't.

By the way, I know what dealing with your paranoia is like and I do not envy you. But being on this sight.......would be a big step for you.

Good luck Jesse

Old 10-15-2009, 01:05 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,346,811 times
I'm on unemployment, and very actively looking for work.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:22 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,925,602 times
Congrats on not having to work at McDonalds. It's always nice to be in a position to be able to pick and choose your employment, many don't have that option these days.

Just curious, 4 days ago in a previous post you said you were getting $871 monthly SSDI and now its $1018. Is the increase because of the unemployment ending?

None of my business really but since you brought it up, what kind of paranoia disability do you have? It looks as though you were traveling throughout France for about 2 weeks and have held jobs as both a bike and car messenger service. How does your paranoia limit you?

As for the unemployment insurance....Did you let the unemployment office know you were vacationing in France or did you just continue to draw the benefits while on vacation, just a few weeks ago?

Not to say you are one, but I really get irritated when people bilk and deceive and then brag about it on these boards.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:04 PM

You can look for a job while in a hotel on vacation.

You're the jerk annerk because people like you won't let me work for an honest living with my felony, so I have to live off SSDI.

I suffer paranoid schizophrenia and had a really bad paranoid episode lasting days when I had no more medicine and Medicare and SSDI back in February. They put me back on it all because of that episode.

I get $1018 but I was overpaid and after deductions for overpayment and maybe Medicare it's $871.

Geodon makes me stable and able to work.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:31 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,925,602 times
Quote:
You can certainly look for work anywhere you want but in order to draw unemployment benefits you need to be looking for work in the US or in a country/region that is in a covered area, in this regard. France is not one of those areas. If you were drawing benefits while looking for work in France, you were committing fraud.

Please, don't take my word for it, call the unemployment office and ask.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:17 PM

I wasn't looking for work in France. Just Wifi at hotels for Chicago IL jobs.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:18 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,078,866 times
Quote:

You're the jerk annerk because people like you won't let me work for an honest living with my felony, so I have to live off SSDI.
Frankly until you admit that you were WRONG for punching out a senior citizen and stop blaming everyone BUT YOURSELF you can go live in a box in Antartica for all I care.

And it's not jsut looking for a job. it's also being available for work. That means if they call you Tuesday morning to work, you are there before noon. Not when you get back from vacation.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:37 PM

141 posts, read 330,333 times
I tried to warn you Jesse. And be careful how you speak to your fellow posters. They can and do take offense. I'm not your mother. Just some friendly advice. You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Again, good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment