Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 01:21 PM

16 posts, read 22,947 times

Advertisements

What has been the best place you’ve ever worked? What factors made this job more enjoyable than others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 01:55 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,188,779 times
Red River Army Equip

Hired as a day laborer in my late teens to recover scrap metal from a business that supplied the government with military equipment. On six acres, there were Jeeps, buses, and blueprints from the WWII era mixed in with all the scrap parts and material we recovered.

If I had a developed brain, I would have grabbed what I could. To be 17-18 again is of course part of my fond memory.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:17 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,082,182 times
Still waiting to find it.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:34 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,817,667 times
Goodwill Industries, believe it or not. The pay was so poor but it was a wonderful job with terrific people. I was a case manager making about 10,000 a year (the job even required a bachelor's degree!). My clients were people diagnosed with MR and other disabilities learning work skills. You could not find a nicer bunch of people. They were kind hearted, hard workers and fun to be around. They could teach us "normal" people a thing or two about life, that's for sure.

My co-workers were also fantastic. You have to have a big heart to work at a job that pays proverty level salaries for a thankless job and they certainly fit the bill. We had lots of fun together which made that salary a lot easier to handle.

I appreciated my supervisor too. She was the kind to stay out of your face until you needed her. She praised you for a job well done and understood the meaning of taking a "mental health day". I wish they could have cloned her for my future jobs!

Old 10-21-2009, 02:50 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
Lucked into a news copyedit job at age 20 at a PBS station. Great hours (few day shifts, mostly evening), a bunch of co-workers in their 20s, very little management around, work very interesting and always challenging. Completely enough money for my idea of living at that time. Did not have to dress *at all*.
I was quite compromised by serious depression at that point in life and having a good, steady, pleasant job in a good environment was a saving grace.
(The job and the environment went bellyup sometime in the 1980s or so. I left way before that to be a hippie dip idiot and waitress out West. Oh, my early 20s).

Old 10-21-2009, 02:59 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,863,210 times
winn-dixie
started as a bagger
became a cashier
became a produce platter maker
became a dairy/frozen foods stocker
became a front end manager
became an office manager
left before I was there a year because the automotive program i was in told us we had to be ready for immediate hire, and i was jobless for a month

the girls that worked there kept me in the system an extra 3 weeks so i could get a vacation check

i started at 6.25 and left at 6.75/hr LOL

Old 10-21-2009, 03:19 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,542,122 times
I will be one of few claiming all jobs I've worked at were the best but the one that was the most interesting was at Underwriter's Laboratories. You know the UL in the circle; just imagine the experiments going on there! Hubby was a security guard there for awhile and saw more than I ever did at work. I'd call it Halloween on steroids!

Old 10-21-2009, 04:01 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,424,041 times
My favorite job wasn't the best in terms of pay and the business operated on a shoestring, but it was fun -- loads of fun. At a small newspaper my title was editor but I did a little of everything. I was the editor, one of the reporters, ad copywriter, PR rep, back up photographer, word processor -- I did everything except sell ads. My main coworker, the photographer and sales associate, was a delight. We became good work and personal friends. The people we met and the events we attended as representatives of the paper were fantastic. I loved the atmosphere -- it was pretty loose and we had a lot of freedom. My coworker had a baby and she would bring it to the office sometimes when her sitter arrangements fell through. That was the best baby -- she slept through anything. We had brand new top of the line computer equipment and software. These were like exciting new toys to us. There were many days that the owner had to run us out of the building. Honest, I think we would have worked for free if we didn't need the money. It's so rare to run across a position where everyone involved is truly working as a team towards a quality product. It's also amazing how an atmosphere without politics and fear can stimulate the creative process. Unfortunately, the paper fell victim to the 90s recession. Ironic, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment