Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 12:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

a good business person has to be able to put his ego out of the picture and look hard at the net profit and total hrs spent working. very few can do this. that is why 80% fail.
in the poor side of town the failure is much higher for true self employment.
on the other hand, poor side of town stats show pte works very well even pte quasi self employment, like tupperware avon ect as long as they can get some sort of welfare assistance. of course they never declare the income. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 12:47 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Do you think they are failing because of the taxation (not keeping enough of their money) and entry to market, b/c of hard subsidies to corporations, or because they were short sighted?

Old 10-24-2009, 04:59 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
Next time, when lying in the hopes of making a back-handed political statement, be more clever about it.

Thanks.
not a lie, I'm as serious as church on sunday

a third is a third regardless of who you vote for

Old 11-18-2016, 06:15 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Not to get political, but I think a lot of people don't go out on their own because of the accessibility and affordability of health care. And that's a shame because entrepreneurs can be a real economic engine.
The number one reason I work my part-time job (I retired at 48) is for the killer medical benefits. If Trump and Co. repeal Obamacare and premiums drop, I won't need the job.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:21 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Being self-employed is great, it's being an EMPLOYER that sucks.

The gov't has over-regulated businesses, and good employees are really hard to find/keep.

Unless employees are grinding out the work, you have to do it all yourself. And then you ain't making nothin' if you ain't workin',

Old 11-18-2016, 07:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Being self-employed is great, it's being an EMPLOYER that sucks.

The gov't has over-regulated businesses, and good employees are really hard to find/keep.

Unless employees are grinding out the work, you have to do it all yourself. And then you ain't making nothin' if you ain't workin',
I have found this to be true. After working in a good job for 17 years, I then had my own business for 16.
Paying the state a "business and occupation tax" that was a percentage of gross revenue, not profit, having to deal with licensing, business insurance, ever-increasing commercial/industrial rent, paying for your own medical insurance, and the difficulty in finding reliable employees was stressful. Add to that the long hours, the ups and downs, and lack of ability to take off for more than a day and eventually it wears you out. I was ready for a change in 2009 when I took a job again, now have 5 weeks paid vacation, and plenty of other good benefits, most importantly a regular paycheck, and can leave work behind me when I walk out of the office. As a manager, I still hire and fire people, but it doesn't affect my life like it did before.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:08 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Just wondering if there is anybody out there like this? Or is everybody in for the rat race? Isn't there some freedom intellectually and spiritually about working for ones self, even if the money isn't as good for working at a corporation?
Some of these thoughts have come to me in the recent recession and I am just wondering if I am the only one. Recently I have been trying to increase my dev skills and start up some consulting/freelance business.
I am still looking for a job for now in IT, but just to get more money and until I get myself up and rolling, but eventually I think I want no part of working *for* anybody again.
I really hate that corporations have eaten up a lot of mom and pop stores and even taken over individuals ideas. I assume it is more efficient, but at what cost.
I totally agree with you. I may aim to work at a small IT firm that appears to be willing to give me a chance (let's see how things go when things cool down after their change of management.) However, long term, it would be best to work for yourself. Social Security and Medicaid are in trouble and, while it might, er MIGHT, be possible to save it all for those 50 and over, those under 50 should probably plan on it being gone, as it will have to be dissolved or changed around in order to avoid the coming default around 2030. I also went into IT but appear, other than my recent break, to have gotten nowhere, and I have a bachelors too.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:58 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
I am young and I plan on working for myself as a career.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:18 PM

1,438 posts, read 779,459 times
Would universal healthcare and the elimination of the fear of losing health insurance encourage more entrepreneurship since the burden of healthcare would no longer be on either the employer or employee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment