Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 03:01 AM

56 posts, read 510,999 times

Advertisements

Of course I know they exist, but I can't seem to snag any.

I work full time Monday - Thursday (10 hour shifts), but I would like a Friday - Sunday (or Sat - Sun) job. It would have to start at noon at minimum because of my full-time work/sleeping schedule. That itself throws some jobs out (like the local Golf Course).

I was thinking about overnight stocking at some grocery store or retail store, but they usually work till 7AM and I'm concerned that will conflict with my full time job. I work till 02:30 AM on the full time.

I've been applying here and there for the last two months, any other suggestions. (please don't say something silly like making money online or snow shoveling - lets be realistic here)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 05:48 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
you could try to grab a job delivering pizzas. I used to make a good $15 an hour.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:29 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Try looking at hospitals...they have shift work available 24/7.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:52 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Why does a grocery store job have to be at night? You can see what they have available in the afternoon or evening. Private security companies frequently need weekend help. I also delivered pizzas for awhile and made pretty decent money.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:14 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Most restaurants need workers for the dinner shift.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:34 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Try private practices. Many doctors and dentists prefer to staff their offices with several part-timers instead of one or two full-timers because they don't have to pay benefits that way, and many of them have at least Saturday hours. If you get a multi-doctor/dentist practice or a clinic, they might also have Sunday hours as well. At least where I live, they do.

A lot of real estate offices are open on the weekends, too, as that's when many buyers and sellers prefer to see or show homes. You'd probably end up sitting at the front desk answering phones, or doing filing work, but it's something.

Then there is customer service work, not so much retail, but call center work. Not all of it has been shipped to India. Think of the cable company or utilities, where they take calls 24-7. You might also look for work with an answering service. Getting back to health care, any practice that has a doctor or dentist on call will have a service to take calls after hours, so see if there are any services in your area.

If office work is not your thing, you might try looking at manufacturers and distributors, namely booze, food, and pharmaceuticals. Products have to be packaged and moved out nearly continuously.

If you have a clean record and will pass drug tests and a background check, you might also try part-time security work. I've noticed that the staff at my front gate changes with regular shifts, and there are different guys there on the weekends.

I see you're a guy, so I won't suggest salon work, but for others who come to the thread, salons are busiest on weekends and they may need help with shampooing, sweeping up, and the front desk.

Think outside the retail/restaurant box, and think of services that you use and chores you would need to do in the evenings or on weekends if you worked M-F, 9-5. That's where the work will be.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:36 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,090 times
A buddy of mine delivers pizzas on the weekends.

I work part-time at a bookstore and am cutting my hours back to Saturdays and Sundays, but they're only letting me do that because I'll be starting a new full-time job soon where it won't really be possible to work part-time during the week, and because I've worked at there for nearly 2 1/2 years and have seniority.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:13 PM

370 posts, read 1,365,688 times
You may have a problem. Even these jobs want you available for any shift at their whim.

What you could do with these suggested places is go fill out an application or talk to the manager and just say I am available these hours if you have an opening.

They will probably like your hustle (working full time and also wanting a part time job).

Old 01-18-2012, 02:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Our local gas station/convenience store cashiers are all part time, so they don't have to pay benefits. You may find something like that but there are many underpaid people now looking for a weekend job to supplement their M-F earnings, and many of the lower wage employers prefer flexibility of
scheduling for their part timers so they can fill in for others when needed.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:34 PM

56 posts, read 510,999 times
Thanks guys/galls

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Why does a grocery store job have to be at night? . ...
$10 hr overnight shift vs. minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment