Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:08 AM

704 posts, read 1,871,231 times

Advertisements

Can your boss force you to take a "promotion" you don't want?

The job in question would be a lot more responsibility, more stress, and demand more accountability. The reason this is especially unappealing is because it would be zero dollars more money because of a company wide wage freeze that shows no signs of being removed any time in the near future.

Thoughts from the crowd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 08:37 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,553 times
If you expect a long term career with this company, then you should take it on. If you don't, you'll probably not be given the opportunity again. If you feel you just can't do it due to physical or emotional concerns, then simply thank them for the opportunity, politely decline and tell them that you "prefer to be the leader behind the curtain and feel that you can best support the organization by helping to make the person who accepts the job more successful."

Last edited by JTGJR; 12-04-2009 at 08:47 AM..

Old 12-04-2009, 08:39 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post

The job in question would be a lot more responsibility, more stress, and demand more accountability. The reason this is especially unappealing is because it would be zero dollars more money because of a company wide wage freeze that shows no signs of being removed any time in the near future.

Thoughts from the crowd?
Something like this just happened at my company; within my department.

His response, I can not type on here verbatim. Just know that he told them to shove something somewhere and put in his 2 weeks notice.

I should note that he has been pretty unhappy with some changes at my company as of late; most of us are actually, and this was the straw that broke the proverbial animal your choice's back.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:40 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Yes, they can do that. An employer has the right to change the terms of your employment whenever and however they want (within labor laws, of course).

They can change your title, your duties, your shifts, your job location, etc. however they see fit. If you don't like it, you can always quit of course. But you might want to find out more about the promotion first. In my line of work, promotions mean not just more responsibility or more money, but also a more prestigious title, extra vacation time, and professional development reimbursement. Even without a raise, there are advantages to promotion. And if an employer were to offer such a promotion during a wage freeze, they would probably offer the raise as soon as the freeze was lifted, and possibly retroactively.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:45 AM

704 posts, read 1,871,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Yes, they can do that. An employer has the right to change the terms of your employment whenever and however they want (within labor laws, of course).

They can change your title, your duties, your shifts, your job location, etc. however they see fit. If you don't like it, you can always quit of course. But you might want to find out more about the promotion first. In my line of work, promotions mean not just more responsibility or more money, but also a more prestigious title, extra vacation time, and professional development reimbursement. Even without a raise, there are advantages to promotion. And if an employer were to offer such a promotion during a wage freeze, they would probably offer the raise as soon as the freeze was lifted, and possibly retroactively.

What your saying sounds good, and I'm sure a lot of campanies would do that. I just don't see them being that forward thinking...

Old 12-04-2009, 10:07 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Even if they don't offer perks with the new title/position, wouldn't having a higher title/position give you a leg up applying for jobs elsewhere that do pay better?

Obviously getting both a promotion and a raise would be the most desirable outcome, but even without the raise, it seems like a positive career move.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:31 AM

250 posts, read 905,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Even if they don't offer perks with the new title/position, wouldn't having a higher title/position give you a leg up applying for jobs elsewhere that do pay better?

Obviously getting both a promotion and a raise would be the most desirable outcome, but even without the raise, it seems like a positive career move.
Great points.

Also, while the company may have implemented a "wage freeze" which becomes mentioned likely via a company email, companies most usually have the money for raises or adjustments to salary, in special cases, and if the position is important enough, it'll have to be filled and salary met according to market average wages. Otherwise, they'd have high turnover for that position, and overall poor performance results related to the roles of that position.

Re: stress, and possible longer work hours. If it was me in the situation, I'd try it out and endure it for awhile. If its more volume of work, but not rewarding in career advancement, I'd make the case to HR for the raise (perhaps after 3 months) while independently starting to apply for other positions elsewhere with the advantage of a newer job title.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:22 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Pretty normal from what I've seen. Forced promotions and no additional money. Doesn't even matter if there is a wage freeze or not.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:18 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post

Thoughts from the crowd?
This happened to me. I was "cornered" into a supervisory position, PLUS I still had to pitch in when necessary and do the old work I used to do.

I took their crap because there were not many positions out there for me at the time and I could not live on UI.

The employee in this situation can quit and claim "constructive discharge" because the employer changed the employee's working conditions negatively with the addition of additional responsibilities and the lack of equivalent compensation. That would qualify the employee for UI because it is not actually a "voluntary quit" of their original job ... the employer has changed the original job with negative and intolerable consequences to the employee. Some people also sue over this. (I personally wouldn't go through the suing unless it was a company with deep pockets.)

In the end, the company I was working for went out of business. They were actually NOT lying when they said they could not afford to give me a raise (of course, the partners lived it up lavishly to the point where it brought the company's finances down, so they are not "innocent" by any means). I ended up getting another job before the company closed so I never had to go on UI so I am thankful for that. Right now I actually work with a few of my old colleagues from the firm that went out of business and things are great.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:29 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
It is happening every where as far as I know. My days/hours/responsibilities/job duties, pretty much everything has changed about my job. Sucks, I know. I'm at the point now that I've just given up trying to make it work and am out there looking (along with everyone else). At this point, I just try to make it through the day. And keep my vacation...which isn't looking good at the moment. I sure feel your pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment