Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 02:27 PM

12 posts, read 82,825 times

Advertisements

I am so sick and tired of gossipers..do they really have a life. I am begining to feel sorry for them nstead of getting hurt. Please advise..this company I work for is full of them..Ouchi!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 03:08 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,373,512 times
Do not engage with them and ignore them - it will drive them crazy and could make your life difficult, but it will be in your best interest.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:18 PM

926 posts, read 1,460,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapalo View Post
I am so sick and tired of gossipers..do they really have a life. I am begining to feel sorry for them nstead of getting hurt. Please advise..this company I work for is full of them..Ouchi!!
I've had some wicked rumors about me at my job and at first I was livid. After letting it sink in, I concluded that my true friends know that the rumors are false, and the ones that are spreading the rumors are not entitled to altering my mood and demeanor...they simply don't matter.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:21 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
I like to mess with them by feeding them false info, just to see how far it gets.

Dukester is right. Who cares what people say? The ones who matter know.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:22 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,599 times
We had that problem where I used to work and the boss was just as guilty as anyone else...

Other then NOT talking to them, I have no idea...I have usually had a pretty boring life...gossip about did Lisa go to the pool or the beach this weekend, did she really spend the day at Disney, shock surprise...

I think remaining pretty predictable kept them off my back AND part of the time I was the auditor, **** me off and who knows what your stats would end up being like...

Old 05-18-2007, 12:03 AM

217 posts, read 845,245 times
The only gossip-ish problem I've ever had is our breakfast attendant at work. Her favorite past time is to wait until third shift leaves and then say nasty things about us (usually complaints about how we put it out and conspiracy theories that we care enough about her to screw with her by forgetting to put out the salt or under/overestimating the amount of food ppl will eat because we're mindreaders who know what ppl will be hungry for).

She used to be nice to our faces and then say stuff behind our backs, now if I'm still there when she comes in, she'll start in on me. I've learned to ignore her for the most part and just pray that she's in my life to show me what kind of a bitter old bag I don't want to become. Unfortunately, it took the girl who trained me over a year of going home and feeling bad that this woman didn't like her and wondering why nothing we do is good enough before she realized it was a problem with this woman and not her.

Everyone pretty much ignores her and just lets her blather on. It wasn't until recently that our boss finally said something when she started complaining to him about me (I put out too many eggs; I didn't change the orange juice--the light that says it's empty never came on btw--and I must have done it on purpose). She quit came back and has no been worse than ever, talking about EVERYONE and all the things they're doing wrong. As soon as she came in the other day she complained the other girl was here at 7:30 and our boss "told that girl not to come in til 8 and blah blah blah" like...who cares; are you the manager? and then turned and said "and you're sitting here, so everything better be done with breakfast" (mind you I was off half an hour prior, so if anything needed to be restocked, it was half an hour past my problem).

Le sigh. I heard she walked off the other day and "didn't think she'd be back" when I called to find out how soon I could go back to days (because I'd left when she started in on me and forgotten to ask), and was told about a month, and shortly after that I'd be working morning's and taking the front desk manager position. So I actually kind of hope that she sticks around long enough for me to see the look on her face when she finds out that I'll be taking over as her manager after all the crap she's pulled on me.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:08 AM

217 posts, read 845,245 times
Quote:
And the short answer to that would be: no...they really don't. Or rather, they do, and that they get their kicks in life this way. And feeling sorry for them is exactly where you end up when you realize; this is all they really have to make them happy. I'm only dealing with one who's a royal pain; I don't know what I'd do with a workplace full except ignore them or mess with them. When I worked at a store, a friend of mine said gossip travels so fast in this place he was going to tell someone at one end that I was pregnant and see how long it took to get to my lane and if they were still saying it was me just to see what would happen.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:14 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Default survival-

Quote:
It is best to ignore them- unless they are a genuine friend. Life is too short- I knew a horrible woman who loved to talk trash in the S Fl law office I worked at- a year later her husband was diagnosed with terminal cancer- wow did she try and change her act---by then it was too late-

Old 05-18-2007, 12:19 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,090 times
Best to ignore and not add fuel to the fire.

My old supervisor was the worst one for the "Mouth of the South" award. I've since learned it all did an about face and bit her right in the tush. What goes around comes around.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:46 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
We had that problem where I used to work and the boss was just as guilty as anyone else...

Other then NOT talking to them, I have no idea...I have usually had a pretty boring life...gossip about did Lisa go to the pool or the beach this weekend, did she really spend the day at Disney, shock surprise...

I think remaining pretty predictable kept them off my back AND part of the time I was the auditor, **** me off and who knows what your stats would end up being like...
I agree w Lisa... my former supervisor, as much as I liked her, told trash on most all of the employees that weren't in her presence, then I suppose if I wasn't there w her she was saying something about me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment