Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 09:20 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times

Advertisements

Just wondering where I should file taxes. Within about a year I hope to be on the road over 6 months out of the year in diff cities... Will be doing software dev remotely but, wondering how that would work for filing taxes? I am a u.s. citizen btw. I was thinking when the time comes I should move a perm address to one of my parents sites in FL as they have no personal state income tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 11:12 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
If you are going to be traveling for six months out of the year, where will you be for the remaining 6 months? That would be the most logical place to file your taxes.

Even if you travel all the time, you're going to have to maintain a fixed address at least for records purposes, and that is where you would pay state taxes. The address your employer prints on your paycheck. The address you use on your invoices that you mail to your clients. A storage locker where you keep the belongings you don't carry with you. The address you use for your passport application. A PO Box. Income property that you rent out.

If you truly have none of these things--no clients, no employer, no belongings--and you are just a drifter moving about with what you can carry on your back, then use the last fixed address you had.

If you legitimately reside in another state, using Florida as an address of record simply to avoid taxes is called evasion.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:30 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
kodaka is correct. It is well established in the courts that a person may only have one domicile, and that to be considered to have changed your domicile you must not only abandon your previous one but you also must establish a new one. That means that in your home state you have a legitimate address where you intend to return, a driver's license, car registration, bank accounts, etc. - any other ties that would help to establish residency. If you have not established a new domicile, you are considered to be a resident of the state where you last lived.

You may also be a statutory resident of another state if you remain in a state more than 6 months. And many states have filing requirements for non-residents who earn income within their state.

And kodaka is also correct about the fact that simply using a state as your home state for no other reason than the fact that it has no income tax is tax evasion.

You should contact a tax professional (and I don't mean someplace like H&R Block).

Old 12-17-2009, 07:21 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
well i lived in FL for 20+ years so... and I will probably keep an address there as I will eventually get both my parents inheritances so I don't see that much of a problem. ...
self employed from internet company... i'm in california now, but can't get school in state tuition for instance...
so will probably get my DL and change address back to FL at some point. It could be more than that and only really have a mailing address... I still have a bank account in FL, I've had it since 1999. I also had a p.o. box in FL for about 5 years, as well as .

I would *gladly* pay income tax if I were actually living in said state and working for a state employee and able to get said benefits of that state, but that isn't going to be the case I don't think.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:54 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Many people live in their RVs full time. Some "register" in a state that has no state tax, making filing easier.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:17 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:
Many people live in their RVs full time. Some "register" in a state that has no state tax, making filing easier.
States with no tax aren't stupid. They know the addresses of RV sales and RV parks and recognize when someone has attempted to use such an address to register their vehicle or address. There are always a few who slip through, but most people who try such tricks get caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment