Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:06 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Similar argument for the myth of "women make 68% of men". This is true if you throw all wages into the same pot but it isn't true when you make apples to apples comparisons such as 10 years, electrical engineering experience with a BS in engineering. Also, if women truly do make less, then a company would be foolish to hire higher paid men when women would work cheaper.
I am saying the goal should not be to promote equal opportunity, the goal should be to promote race as a non-issue. I look forward to the day when race is as big of a deal as eye color. I don't want any particular race (or gender for that matter) to get special treatment because they are a 'minority'. I want race and gender to not even be considered in the application process for jobs/school. I believe crying out racism many times focuses attention on race issues where really there are none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 10:33 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,530,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Similar argument for the myth of "women make 68% of men". This is true if you throw all wages into the same pot but it isn't true when you make apples to apples comparisons such as 10 years, electrical engineering experience with a BS in engineering. Also, if women truly do make less, then a company would be foolish to hire higher paid men when women would work cheaper.
If it's a myth, then why did Obama pass the Ledbetter act earlier this year?
Again, my original point, is when a company says "we are looking for someone who's more a fit with our office and culture" and the place is all white (or whatever else), it makes me wonder. If there is at least a little diversity there, than it doesn't.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
If it's a myth, then why did Obama pass the Ledbetter act earlier this year?
Again, my original point, is when a company says "we are looking for someone who's more a fit with our office and culture" and the place is all white (or whatever else), it makes me wonder. If there is at least a little diversity there, than it doesn't.
Apples and Oranges.

The Ledbetter Act amends the Civil Rights Act of 1964 stating that the 180-day statute of limitations for filing an equal-pay lawsuit regarding pay discrimination resets with each new discriminatory paycheck. The law was a direct answer to the Ledbetter v. Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co., 550 U.S. 618 (2007), a U.S. Supreme Court decision holding that the statute of limitations for presenting an equal-pay lawsuit begins at the date the pay was agreed upon, not at the date of the most recent paycheck, as a lower court had ruled.

Glass ceiling myth: Reality is women make different choices | Milwaukee Sentinel Newspaper | Find Articles at BNET

Diversity initiatives by corporations are often sugarcoating affirmative action.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:55 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,654 times
Quote:
what we are looking for in our company...
and the place is an all white place?

I've heard this enough times in my life where it makes me wonder. Too often, especially in smaller companies, employers and those in charge of hiring, want people that they can not only work with, but relate to and sadly (even though it may not be most of the time) it's easier to relate to someone who looks and acts like you.

Maybe whites have seen this when they've applied for jobs in all black or latino places, however, for everytime this happens, there's IMO 5 to 10 times more that it's the other way around.
I think that this phrase can be used to mask racial discrimination, but I also think it can be used to mask any other of a number of issues: too old, too smart, too much of an individualist, wrong school, not attractive enough, too much formal education, wrong socioeconomic background, wrong hometown, etc. If you are non-white, it's hard to know which if any of these factors--or perhaps a combination of them--is really at work.

With that said, race discrimination does go on, and it can be soul-destroying.

There was an article about this subject recently in the NYT -- I found the commends section very balanced and quite fascinating:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/01/us/01race.html?_r=1

Old 12-18-2009, 11:00 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am saying the goal should not be to promote equal opportunity, the goal should be to promote race as a non-issue. I look forward to the day when race is as big of a deal as eye color. I don't want any particular race (or gender for that matter) to get special treatment because they are a 'minority'. I want race and gender to not even be considered in the application process for jobs/school. I believe crying out racism many times focuses attention on race issues where really there are none.
I agree, by enforcing equal opportunity legislation we are actually promoting racism. When people are getting hired because they are black that creates jealously from whites (*cough cough* working for the TSA) which is deserved. I would say roughly 60% of the TSA workers at my airport are black yet the community is around 25% black. The Government really pushes the hiring of minorities regardless if they can do the job as good as whites or not.

I wonder if equal opportunity exists in sports, where for example 80% of NBA players are black.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:46 PM

233 posts, read 744,277 times
Quote:

I've heard this enough times in my life where it makes me wonder. Too often, especially in smaller companies, employers and those in charge of hiring, want people that they can not only work with, but relate to and sadly (even though it may not be most of the time) it's easier to relate to someone who looks and acts like you.
Maybe whites have seen this when they've applied for jobs in all black or latino places, however, for everytime this happens, there's IMO 5 to 10 times more that it's the other way around.
I understand where your coming from. I felt I was discriminated once when I was in an interview. As I walked through the company on my way to the interview room everyone in the company was Asian except me and the interviewer asked me if I would be comfortable working in "this atmosphere". She wasn't referring to the work atmosphere either.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKid View Post
I felt I was discriminated once when I was in an interview. As I walked through the company on my way to the interview room everyone in the company was Asian except me and the interviewer asked me if I would be comfortable working in "this atmosphere". She wasn't referring to the work atmosphere either.
How is this discrimination? In fact, even if this is what she was referring to, how is this a bad thing?

Old 12-18-2009, 05:23 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:

It's obvious you don't have a clue how dangerous it is to hire a black person.

I will be honest here. If it were up to me I would avoid it at all costs. I don't care how good you are if you're black you just aren't worth the risks. As an employer (I am not now but have been) it's like asking to be shoved into a walking on eggshells environment. One wrong word, one perceived slight and here come the lawyers!

It's really disgusting.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:24 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
It's obvious you don't have a clue how dangerous it is to hire a black person.

I will be honest here. If it were up to me I would avoid it at all costs. I don't care how good you are if you're black you just aren't worth the risks. As an employer (I am not now but have been) it's like asking to be shoved into a walking on eggshells environment. One wrong word, one perceived slight and here come the lawyers!

It's really disgusting.

Are you on medication?-lol

Old 12-20-2009, 09:15 PM

475 posts, read 1,644,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Descrimination is a fact of life. Get used to it. The gobernment cannot and will not stop it.

There are plenty of mexican, asian and black shop owners who obviously descriminate in their hiring process; it's not just white people
It's true, back in the day when I performed service for a specific customer, if the manager was black the staff was black, if the manager was white the staff was white, if the manger was hispanic the staff was too. It was hilarious, my coworker would anounce loudly "dick, where are in the minorty here". It's was true the place was full of Hispanic women, we were the only men in the place! and a pretty lot they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment