Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 11:24 AM

807 posts, read 3,188,424 times

Advertisements

In my mind, everyone wants to avoid hiring a problem employee. But few really know how to do that. Too many rely on the surface and don't ask questions like "are you expecting a settlement from a pending lawsuit?" I've had new hires that who made it obvious that they make their primary living from 'settlements' and are always on the lookout for a reason to sue. Time to go, before the 90 day probation is up.

I know of a woman who worked for Publix many years ago. She had breast implants put in and was happy to have everyone check them out/feel them. She really flaunted her new look! People lost respect for her. When she was passed over for a supervisory position, she sued claiming sexual discrimination, and won. People would have thought she stood up for her rights except for those of us who didn't believe she would be respected as a supervisor.

Discrimination is such a sensitive problem. I had an employee who was experiencing some personal problems that were starting to affect his work. When I asked him to sit in my office and questioned if there was anything I could offer him that would help him through his situation, he asked if he was being singled out because he was black. His color never crossed my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 11:25 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,491,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
I know of a woman who worked for Publix many years ago. She had breast implants put in and was happy to have everyone check them out/feel them. She really flaunted her new look! People lost respect for her. When she was passed over for a supervisory position, she sued claiming sexual discrimination, and won. People would have thought she stood up for her rights except for those of us who didn't believe she would be respected as a supervisor.
She would sooooo get promoted in a company owned by myself.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:15 PM

611 posts, read 1,456,646 times
The Spanish thing is a huge problem in the Orlando area. I work in a hospital, and when some patients realize I dont speak Spanish ( I am biracial, so I look PR/DR) they get LIVID! They assume that I am latino, and refuse to learn my own language. It pretty much sucks, because these people are not being forced to learn English, because everything is catered to them. Schools, Jobs, ect. I am not just talking about low wage jobs. I have been into Car Insurance offices where no one spoke enough English to explain my policy to me! Same with my daughters school!

Old 12-26-2009, 05:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
How ridiculous. Your racist flag is flying high.
No. I believe you are racist against Americans.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
The Spanish thing is a huge problem in the Orlando area. I work in a hospital, and when some patients realize I dont speak Spanish ( I am biracial, so I look PR/DR) they get LIVID! They assume that I am latino, and refuse to learn my own language. It pretty much sucks, because these people are not being forced to learn English, because everything is catered to them. Schools, Jobs, ect. I am not just talking about low wage jobs. I have been into Car Insurance offices where no one spoke enough English to explain my policy to me! Same with my daughters school!
Where I live, an employee from India was spoken to in Spanish and when he politely responded he didn't speak Spanish, the woman went beserk and literally began screaming at him in broken English that he should be ashamed of himself for forgetting his language and not being proud of being Mexican.

He calmly reassured her he didn't forget his language but wasn't from Mexico. When he told her he was born and raised in India, he said the look on her racist face was something to remember but she shut up then.

Where you live is very much like where I live. They use language as a way to discriminate in hiring - against Americans of all backgrounds and ethnicities.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:40 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No. I believe you are racist against Americans.
Keep going, you're really making yourself out to be a wonderfully logical person.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Keep going, you're really making yourself out to be a wonderfully logical person.
I'm consistent unlike you. I don't pretend to feel pity for unemployed Americans while supporting NAFTA, unlimited immigration including illegal immigration. I want jobs for the American people, I'm against NAFTA, uncontrolled immigration, the whole cheap labor agenda.

That means visible American minorities too should be given preference in hiring over all non Americans.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'm consistent unlike you. I don't pretend to feel pity for unemployed Americans while supporting NAFTA, unlimited immigration including illegal immigration. I want jobs for the American people, I'm against NAFTA, uncontrolled immigration, the whole cheap labor agenda.

That means visible American minorities too should be given preference in hiring over all non Americans.
Who says I support NAFTA? I think it was a HUGE mistake and we're paying for it now. I also have stated MANY times that we are allowing too much immigration. But UNLIKE you who hates Hispanics as a whole, I don't think that we need to just shut the doors on specific races, rather we need to shut the doors except for people who can bring something special to the table (certain highly educated scientists, etc.). I recognize that many LATINO US CITIZENS are Puerto Rican and have EVERY RIGHT to live and work ANYWHERE in the US that they want to--and I don't ASSUME that anyone who is Hispanic is illegal. I think that anyone in this country illegally should be deported--regardless of their nationality or the color of their skin or the language they speak, and there's no automatic right to stay here because of anchor babies.

The difference between you and I is that YOU are a racist.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:19 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
in brief, you will never get hired with the race card. too easy for HR to block a hire for non EEOC issues. got to get in 1st b4 you play it. the accusation of discrimination is so easy to do and requires no proof. there is no penalty for false accusation. i could pick apart any statement made by an employer or fellow worker and make an accusation. this is why almost 100% of EEOC cases are dropped here. but the accusation has affect --- it damages careers. if you get a few EEOC complaints no more promotions. so for the ruthless, its a good form of leverage. employment is 85% attitude- but that is the front door. the back door --preferred by many- is the EEOC race card.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
in brief, you will never get hired with the race card. too easy for HR to block a hire for non EEOC issues. got to get in 1st b4 you play it. the accusation of discrimination is so easy to do and requires no proof. there is no penalty for false accusation. i could pick apart any statement made by an employer or fellow worker and make an accusation. this is why almost 100% of EEOC cases are dropped here. but the accusation has affect --- it damages careers. if you get a few EEOC complaints no more promotions. so for the ruthless, its a good form of leverage. employment is 85% attitude- but that is the front door. the back door --preferred by many- is the EEOC race card.
I used to work with a guy who got fired after one too many EEOC complaints against him for sexual harrassment. Do I think he was as bad as the women made him out to be? No. Do I think he crossed the line a few too many times? Definitely. Where there is smoke, there is fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment