Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:39 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james011 View Post
I'm an orthopedic surgeon and I absolutely love my job.

I get to use power tools and a stapler. I have tremendous diversity of cases every week between my clinic, hospital consults and ER trauma work. I like my day to be busy (work 60+ hrs a week). And I like to think I contributed a small difference at the end of the day. The look of someone getting their leg back during post-traumatic reconstruction is well worth any of the BS I encountered in school and training. Even makes the 3am calls tolerable.

And $300k a year goes really far for someone whose parents made a tenth that.

Work is 1/2 your waking life. I truly believe in the saying that you have to do something you love, otherwise you'll burn out.
You're a rather young surgeon though aren't you? The docs and surgeons I work with hardly have your outlook well into their 40's and 50's. LMAO! Most are run ragged, half asleep, never smile, divorced, barely spend any time with their families, out of shape because they have very little time to take care of themselves or their health. There are I'm sure A LOT of very satisfied doctors and surgeons out there and you may very well be one of them. But from my experience medicine nowadays is just like every other "job". But you're a surgeon so short of worrying about lawsuits you really don't answer to anyone so that's cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 02:40 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,417,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
You're a rather young surgeon though aren't you? The docs and surgeons I work with hardly have your outlook well into their 40's and 50's. LMAO! Most are run ragged, half asleep, never smile, divorced, barely spend any time with their families, out of shape because they have very little time to take care of themselves or their health. There are I'm sure A LOT of very satisfied doctors and surgeons out there and you may very well be one of them. But from my experience medicine nowadays is just like every other "job". But you're a surgeon so short of worrying about lawsuits you really don't answer to anyone so that's cool.
Why are some nurses so bitter?

"Both male and female physicians have a lower tendency to divorce than other occupational groups, including other groups of professionals."
(JAMA. 1989;261:2374-2377.)

"In a national sample of 2,000 randomly-selected physicians... both women and men report being highly satisfied with their careers (79% compared with 76%, P<.01)."
(OBGYN. 2007;109-4:949-955.)

"Despite reports of dissatisfaction among practicing physicians... recent data suggest that the majority of physicians remain satisfied with their careers, although there may be substantial variability across geographical areas. In a nationally representative telephone survey of physicians from 1997 to 2001, we found that more than 80% of physicians with direct patient care responsibilities were somewhat or very satisfied with their careers."
(JAMA. 2004;291:634.)

Last edited by Guineas; 01-12-2010 at 02:54 PM..

Old 01-12-2010, 02:41 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Yeah what's with the bitterness? Does someone need a hug?

Old 01-12-2010, 02:42 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,396,905 times
Love is a strong word. You should love your kids or parents, or significant other, enjoy everything else.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:58 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
I think probably "love" is too strong of a word for most people or their expectations are simply too high. Many people might enjoy their job and they certainly don't dread going to work every day but even people who really, really, really like their job tend to not typically go in and work for free on their days off. I understand that high level executives are pretty much on the job 24/7 but at the same time there are times when they would rather be golfing or on vacation or whatever. In addition, I love horses and horseback riding, doesn't mean I want to ride and be around horses every waking second of the day especially earning peanuts. I'd rather do something I perhaps didn't like as much so that I had the money to spend on the horses during my free time.

I think it is important to find a job that you can at least enjoy. Nothing is worse than dreading work or anything every day. Most of us have to work. I'm personally glad that I didn't live 100 years ago where I literally had to work sunup to sundown just to stay fed. Workaholics are the ones that survived 100 years ago and they are the ones that excel today. We have had more free time in the last 50 years than we ever have in history, even people that have to work 60 hours a week have more free time than they did 100 years ago so it really is a matter of perspective.

Plenty of people get buy just doing mediocre work for mediocre pay but people aren't happy with that. They want to get paid the big bucks but not do the work involved. That isn't the way life works. You have to have drive and passion to make the big bucks. But enough of my rambling, I think you get my point.
100 years ago was bad in terms of work hours, but a lot of studies show that before the Industrial Revolution we actually worked less than we do now.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:01 PM

615 posts, read 1,692,932 times
you think? I've not put a whole lot of research into it personally but I can imagine days were pretty full. Men working in the field, women around the house. I mean think about it, no machines to do the work for you, everything was manual, etc. Everything had to be made from scratch, animals to be taken care of, fields to plow, plant and take care of, etc. Perhaps in the winter there was less work, I don't erally know but maybe after dark?

Old 01-12-2010, 08:57 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,845 times
I'm in IT. I work as a QA Analyst. I test software applications. I love what I do. It's challenging, fun and always doing something new. I used to have jobs that were monotonous and routine, I would get so frustrated and bored. The only downside of my job is it gets very stressful at times. It's also nerve wrecking trying to learn new applications based only on documentation in a short amount of time. If I had longer timelines and less scrutiny from upper management, the job would be perfect.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:49 AM

615 posts, read 1,522,314 times
I don't love my job, but I definitely enjoy it a lot more than my last one.

I'm a Computer Security Manager. I think what it comes down to for me is the uniqueness of the job. Everyday I come into work, and it's a new challenge. It makes me think, keeps my brain sharp... and makes the day go by quicker. Today's actually slow, so that's why I'm on here, haha.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:54 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
I can't recall one job I ever loved. Liked aspects of some, hated a few, but loved, no.

I think this myth of loving work is just another American cultural story of how we need to find 'fun' and pleasure in every activity or something is lacking in us. Some people do have a calling, some love their jobs, but the vast majority just go to earn a paycheck.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:14 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I can't recall one job I ever loved. Liked aspects of some, hated a few, but loved, no.

I think this myth of loving work is just another American cultural story of how we need to find 'fun' and pleasure in every activity or something is lacking in us. Some people do have a calling, some love their jobs, but the vast majority just go to earn a paycheck.
Same here. I've never loved any job, and hated quite a few. The best it's gotten for me up to this point is "tolerable".

I think for me part of that was me going into the wrong fields due to a lack of self-awareness; I picked fields that were kind of "easy" for me to get into (i.e., didn't take much thought or reflection on my part- I did work my ass off in school and in fieldwork). Really, at this point I don't ever expect to find a field that I love- I'll be thrilled to find something where I can go to work and not spend the entire day thinking, "Is it time to go home yet?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment