Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:57 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There are plenty of areas in this country that you can do that. Here in Orlando you can get a room in a 3BR condo for about that. In parts of VA/TN/NC/SC you can rent an apartment for less than $400 a month.
Well--- my grandmother lives in one of the poorest counties in NC and one with unemployment at the 20% level.

Her rent for a small 2 bedroom apartment is still $450.00 (and she got a 50.00 discount from the landlord for being a senior on fixed income from SS)

I rented (when I was destitute) a few years ago, a slum house from a slummy landlord in NC in the country and I paid $695.00 a month.

Old house, no central air, one bathroom, two bedrooms, no central heat, sink, etc.

So I can't imagine where in NC exactly you could find an apartment for less than 400.00 unless you are getting some SERIOUS HUD vouchers or living in a very very crime ridden area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 07:00 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I definitely agree with that. If it weren't for my father, I wouldn't have known either. Everbody should be taught about managing finances and preparing for the future. It should be mandatory, not optional.
I totally agree with you and lovetheduns.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorock28 View Post
How is partaking in expensive hobbies economical?
You obviously don't get it. I am able to partake in thsoe hobbies because A. I have the income to, and B. I don't waste my money by being frugal in many aspects of my life. And even within my hobbies, I am constantly looking for good deals and don't just run out and buy something without researching it and shopping around for the best price.

Quote:
Also, given your past, it is a little surprising you come off as quite arrogant, self-righteous and judgmental in a lot of your posts. I am not discounting your many valuable posts that I have seen (and even helped me personally). However, I am very skeptical about how genuine they are. You seem to be a person that seeks recognition, praise and approval and is not truly concerned about the well being of others. Just my two cents.
You're opinion, I'm fine with that. I will no longer bother to extend advice or tips to you if you don't wish me to.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Well--- my grandmother lives in one of the poorest counties in NC and one with unemployment at the 20% level.

Her rent for a small 2 bedroom apartment is still $450.00 (and she got a 50.00 discount from the landlord for being a senior on fixed income from SS)

I rented (when I was destitute) a few years ago, a slum house from a slummy landlord in NC in the country and I paid $695.00 a month.

Old house, no central air, one bathroom, two bedrooms, no central heat, sink, etc.

So I can't imagine where in NC exactly you could find an apartment for less than 400.00 unless you are getting some SERIOUS HUD vouchers or living in a very very crime ridden area.

I'm not talking about areas around Charlotte, but rather some of the more rural areas like the area around Boone

Old 01-21-2010, 07:30 PM

331 posts, read 956,916 times
Quote:
You obviously don't get it. I am able to partake in thsoe hobbies because A. I have the income to, and B. I don't waste my money by being frugal in many aspects of my life. And even within my hobbies, I am constantly looking for good deals and don't just run out and buy something without researching it and shopping around for the best price.

You're opinion, I'm fine with that. I will no longer bother to extend advice or tips to you if you don't wish me to.

That is common sense, not frugality. If you are not able to comprehend that a frugal person does not partake in expensive hobbies, so be it. Though you may exhibit some frugal qualities, you are hardly a frugal person. Do as you wish not as I wish you to do.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:56 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,702,451 times
Quote:
I don't know how anyone who can fog a mirror can not know about saving for retirement. I was only 13 when IRA's were introduced, and I remember watching something about them on 60 minutes. It's not like you'd need a degree in finance to figure it out. Had she invested a measly $10 a week in a regular savings account since she began working, she'd have more than enough to tide her over until she can collect social security. Don't tell me that no one ever told her to save some money each week for a rainy day. That's common sense that no one should need to tell you.

Don't forget Annerk you thought Medicare part D was only $30 per month and covered everything so you might need to do some more research before you can be so smug. Illness can come to anybody although I do hold hard and fast on a healthy lifestyle

Old 01-21-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Don't forget Annerk you thought Medicare part D was only $30 per month and covered everything so you might need to do some more research before you can be so smug. Illness can come to anybody although I do hold hard and fast on a healthy lifestyle
AARP MedicareRx Saver (PDP) is $34 a month. I was off by $4. So yes, I had done my research. I don't beleive I ever said it "covered everything."

Old 01-22-2010, 12:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I agree that folks should be willing to take public transit if they cannot afford a car if they live in an area that is serviced by public transit. Most rural areas that have cheaper rents have limited or zero public transit options. Regarding riding a bike, the woman in question has a disability that may limit her ability to ride a bike or ride it safely. I agree with you that folks need to be more resourceful but there are always unpredictabilities in life that cannot be effectively prepared for in advanced.
I also agree that people need to be more resourceful but I also can't see how someone can question someone's need to work. A whole lot of people can't retire at age 60, to me that notion is also out the door. Considering that many people don't even start working until age 25, there is no way that people can work 35 years or so and save up enough for a retirement that could last another 35 years.

To me it's a simple fact of long average lifespan that means we should expect to go on working past age 60. Also you never know what someone's expenses are. People need jobs. We have to work for a living.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Savings and the importance of it is all over mass media. TV shows--anything from Oprah to Suze Orman to 60 minutes to the local news talks about it. Open a newspaper and there will be an article about savings or investing. Read anything from Woman's Day to Cosmo to Maxim to Newsweek and you'll see something about it. I don't see how anyone who is not mentally challenged can honestly say they have never heard about saving money.
It's not really possible for most people who raise families to graduate from college at about age 25 or so, work only 35 years and then have so much saved they can live on it for the next 35 years. Social security is a pyramid scheme that is about to go broke, and the stock market is nothing more than a gamble of your money at this point.

Some people delayed starting families until 40 or so and may still be raising kids in their 50s which will keep them from saving a big bundle.

I think times have changed, people should not retire in their 50s or early 60s unless they feel their health problems are huge and maybe they won't have a long lifespan. More and more, counting on social security or the stock market will be a big mistake.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:51 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
I commend you for trying annerk but I've tried with dozens of people over the years and all you will get is reasons why it can't be done ......what appear to those that give them as valid reasons but you and some of us recognize as excuses(unfortunately my daughter being one of them....everything presented here so far, I've heard from her)

Since you (and I )have made it to a secure place it will not be accpeted or believed that you didn't have an edge you're not admitting to.
Well, they'd be right actually. And that advantage is determination and "I can/will" do attitude.

And will do is whatever it takes and I'll bet you share this with me.....not taking it for granted that where you are now couldn't change and still having alternate plans at the ready in case it does.

One can't wait until financial 'disaster' falls to handle it or to assume it never will.It will....a big one or many little ones
However, if you try to help by pointing out what someone could have done differently....or how an attitude change might help, you'll just be accused of personally "attacking" them......a favorite charge on CD.

Just wanted to let you know there are people out there that do understand what you're trying to teach and recognize that it is not from smugness but from a 'been there done that,bought the shirt".

Some things do require change and change can be scary. But, as Einstein said..."Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. .

"The lady of the OP? She's just going to have to take advantage of the programs our government does have in place and be glad they are there.
If she's been working a minimum level service job she'll possibly even see an improvement in her living conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment