Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:19 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere900 View Post
Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. It's MY responsibility as HIS supervisor to worry about what he is doing. Anything that he does wrong or screws up on will come back on me because I'm in charge of him and I have the last say in what goes on. I didn't hire him, he is good friends with the director and they decided to take him on.
This is the last time I will respond to your craziness.
I hate cronyism Such favouritism has no place in the professional world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere900 View Post
I have a meeting with my Supervisor today to talk about some things and I will talk about this "new boy's" behavior and what he is doing. I'm not worried about my boss. We have a really good relationship and get along good (she is a woman as well). She always tells me I"m doing a good job, but 90% of the things that go on in my department, she is not there to experience. I think she wants to keep everyone happy as well, which is hard to do with many employees.
You need to make sure that this isn't a personal issue, but you are more concerned about the output and the disruption of the way of things. Never speak about things like how he is getting in your way, that's when people at the top start to wonder if you are insecure, coz that is what they think of first.

You need to attack from a laboratory standpoint, not yours

Good luck. I'm rooting for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 11:36 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
It's not about working harder. And it's not about someone younger being good. For the record, no rookie's good until after experience.

This is technology. It's all about intellectual ownership and authority.

Besides, as the project lead, it's my job to steer the project in my direction. There's a reason they have been assigned as team members in my project. To follow. It's as simple as that. And to present their ideas, with an air of team spirit, basically knowing who the leader is.

The key to being a leader is showing who the leader in the room is. I'm open to better ideas, but the experienced always know the positives, the negatives and the trade-off to each. I certainly won't walk into my boss' office and call his heat map crap coz my ego got in the way. I know my place and I know his place, and it's all about not stepping on each other's toes. This is key for the health of any team.

Besides, it also contributes to team discord. I was a hardcore techie for 6 years, until I was 26. My team members when asked behind my back always told others that they wanted to grow and code like Antony does, some day. That was the kind of inspiration I was able to instill in my team. I was even a very nice guy with flexible timings (they can show up any time they want, work from home on VPN, and strictly avoid working weekends), coz I was always output-eyed and not big on formalities.

I can very well see where the OP comes from. This kind of team issue is widespread in the field of technology. At the end of the day, it's all about who's the most competitive.
I agree with this, however in the OP's situation it seems the new guy simply wants to do well. What is wrong with that? I don't see any reason to be upset with the new guy in the OP's situation. If the youngest person on the team has the best ideas, why wouldn't a good leader foster those ideas over any others?

Old 02-08-2010, 11:48 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,487 times
I've been following this post, and so far I agree with bits and pieces of the arguments posed by both sides.

Though I think healthy competition is a good thing, there are some scenarios where a person might be stepping over boundaries. I don't know this young guy, so I'll have to take the OP's word for it that he may be treading close to insubordination. If that's the case, as his supervisor, you need to address the individual or present your case to someone (possibly in HR) who typically handles such a situation. He should not be performing tasks that are outside his direct realm of responsibility unless told otherwise by a superior.

To address another comment made on this thread, please do not create a generational stereotype according to this behavior. Though I'm sure cases exist where a certain Gen Yer has an entitlement complex, it does not apply to all of us. In most cases, I think this behavior is primarily a result of an individual wanting to better themselves. And this doesn't only apply to Gen Y; it applies to all generations.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:31 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
I don't believe it's all about being competitive. In fact, conversely, I believe in the biblical principle that you reap what you sow. It may not be immediately but it happens. I don't know your co-worker's movtivations whether they are cut-throat or if he is just insecure and trying to promote himself in the way he knows how. Or, if perhaps, even, if this is just how he is being perceived by you. (the OP) Generally, it's been my observation, however, that people that don't "play well in the sandbox" with other eventually are seen for what they are and in comes back to bite them.

Again, whether this is truly the case or not, I agree with some of the othe posters that from YOUR angle, I think you just need to do the best job you can do. You can exercise your authority as this guy's supervisor but I wouldn't overstep it or treat him differently than someone else. Just do a good job in both capacities, employee and dept supervisor. Be firm, but fair and reasonable. Does this make sense? I really believe this type of approach will serve you best in the long run.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:18 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I agree with this, however in the OP's situation it seems the new guy simply wants to do well. What is wrong with that? I don't see any reason to be upset with the new guy in the OP's situation. If the youngest person on the team has the best ideas, why wouldn't a good leader foster those ideas over any others?
Thanks for at least seeing some point in my post.

There's always a saying in my world. The only place where you can flex muscles and try to be the alpha male is in a baseball or cricket stadium. When the rest of the team is OUT, sitting in the bench and looking up to the lone, young guy hit a sixer or a home run taking the whole team to victory. They even come out and carry you around the stadium, the victory lap.

Otherwise, as Jack Nicholson would say, it does not add inches to your d*ck, it adds to team discord.

I can tell that the new guy who works with the OP has it somewhere in his heart that he has his buddy network flanking his exploits. He is in there coz he's someone's someone. Favouritism. And it's probably playing on his mind big time, so he thinks he can over-do and step on his supervisor's toes.

I have welcomed ideas in my team. When one of my team members approaches me and says that they think this design is better and I see value in them, the first thing I'd always done was accommodate it, which is why it is a TEAM. And the team member always presents it for the good of the project and not his own good. As a leader, you can definitely tell which one is which. It's all in the attitude and the air of presentation.

And this also goes towards backroom talk where the new entrant to the project questions as to how someone young can lead, questions your experience. For example, one of these guys was three years my senior in age, but was a lateral entrant to my organization. They don't make one a team lead until you hit 30s or something, but I ended up leading teams much earlier coz of circumstances, one (the lead just got a better job, noone would step into the crisis, and I did. Of course I refused, but I had a random chat with my Dad that night, one of the rare times he calls me to ask about work and life), and two, it was niche technology, not the cookie-cutter java, unix stuff.

Respect is key. One is not supposed to openly advertise about how he/she can do a better job. Mutual respect takes you far. Eventually, when guys meet in the cafeteria behind your back, everyone is at a consensus that so and so is great guy to work with. Mutual respect is key to organizational growth. Or you run into people who will decimate you.

One can be as aggressive as Larry Ellison or John Welch at the CEO's chair, not get all worked up at the entry level, just coz one sleeps beside their biographies every night

Old 02-08-2010, 09:12 PM

236 posts, read 556,167 times
Quote:

There's always a saying in my world. The only place where you can flex muscles and try to be the alpha male is in a baseball or cricket stadium. When the rest of the team is OUT, sitting in the bench and looking up to the lone, young guy hit a sixer or a home run taking the whole team to victory. They even come out and carry you around the stadium, the victory lap.

Otherwise, as Jack Nicholson would say, it does not add inches to your d*ck, it adds to team discord.

I can tell that the new guy who works with the OP has it somewhere in his heart that he has his buddy network flanking his exploits. He is in there coz he's someone's someone. Favouritism. And it's probably playing on his mind big time, so he thinks he can over-do and step on his supervisor's toes.

I have welcomed ideas in my team. When one of my team members approaches me and says that they think this design is better and I see value in them, the first thing I'd always done was accommodate it, which is why it is a TEAM. And the team member always presents it for the good of the project and not his own good. As a leader, you can definitely tell which one is which. It's all in the attitude and the air of presentation.

And this also goes towards backroom talk where the new entrant to the project questions as to how someone young can lead, questions your experience. For example, one of these guys was three years my senior in age, but was a lateral entrant to my organization. They don't make one a team lead until you hit 30s or something, but I ended up leading teams much earlier coz of circumstances, one (the lead just got a better job, noone would step into the crisis, and I did. Of course I refused, but I had a random chat with my Dad that night, one of the rare times he calls me to ask about work and life), and two, it was niche technology, not the cookie-cutter java, unix stuff.

Respect is key. One is not supposed to openly advertise about how he/she can do a better job. Mutual respect takes you far. Eventually, when guys meet in the cafeteria behind your back, everyone is at a consensus that so and so is great guy to work with. Mutual respect is key to organizational growth. Or you run into people who will decimate you.

One can be as aggressive as Larry Ellison or John Welch at the CEO's chair, not get all worked up at the entry level, just coz one sleeps beside their biographies every night
Antlered-I complete agree when you made this statement, "I can tell that the new guy who works with the OP has it somewhere in his heart that he has his buddy network flanking his exploits. He is in there coz he's someone's someone. Favouritism. And it's probably playing on his mind big time, so he thinks he can over-do and step on his supervisor's toes."

I forgot to mention in my original post that our Director of the department wanted him hired. I really don't even know if he had an interview, lol! But yes, I think that does play a part in his behavior. Almost like, "Well I'm friends with the director, I can't do anything wrong cuz he will have my back." That's fine and dandy, I can't do anything to change that. It is what it is, but he still needs to show me respect and follow the same protocol as his fellow employees.

I had a meeting with my boss today and with my staff and things went fairly well (too long to go into detail). But my boss completely agree's with me. I typed up a proposal last night detailing several changes I wanted to see including me or my boss being the one's who can determine when people can leave early and that we needed more teamwork and not just one person trying to take on everything (projects). She did make me change some of the wording because she said I sounded "mad" in some of my sentences, lol.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:56 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:

I guess I disagree because I am that 'new guy' in my company. I interned with my current company while in college and while interning one of the vice presidents saw the work I was doing (I never approached him or tried to 'buddy up' with him). When I graduated he made my current boss hire me. I never asked him to do that. I am currently working hard to get more responsibility. I am 23 and want to have the same responsibilities that 35 year olds have. I don't want this because I think I 'deserve it', I want this because I like my job and take pride in my career. I want to do well. Since I want to do well and want to have a successful career I take every opportunity to go the extra mile when I can. I don't step on anyone's toes, but I do stay late, volunteer for extra projects, read up on new technologies in my free time. I don't do this to screw anyone over, I just want to do my best. Maybe I am wrong, but the new guy the OP spoke of sounds a lot like me. I would be pretty pissed if I found out someone was trying to screw me over because I took pride in my work.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:57 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
It isn't the "going the extra mile" that seems to be the problem here. It's the stepping across boundaries, doing things that are not within the scope of his job; approving other employees time off, for example. If that is not brought under control, then it will create problems. That is undermining the authority of a supervisor, and needs to be stopped. It is difficult for a supervisor, especially a new one, to find the balance between keeping control of the team and squashing creativity.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:03 AM

569 posts, read 1,058,872 times
One question that I have is: what is up with those other employees that just take the new guy's word that they can have the day off? Also why is he even seeing these requests in the first place?

In my opinion - based on the little that I know - these other employees are being just as insubordinate as the new guy that is approving these requests. I send PTO requests to my manager and/or director - people that are above me in the hierarchy. If I were to be told by someone that's on the same level as me that I can have off or leave early or whatever then I would laugh at them assuming it's a joke or something because they don't have that kind of power and I know that. The only way I would possibly listen is if they said that my manager was indisposed but got in touch with this other employee to let me know that he approved the request. If your new guy is doing this then he is fraudulently impersonating you and this is a serious infraction that would probably get you fired from nearly any company that I've ever heard of (other than maybe the government - those unions are ridiculous).

Old 02-09-2010, 11:25 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,485,277 times
I agree with the last two posters. There is nothing wrong with doing your job well as long as you keep within your boundaries. To approve PTO when it is not within your scope is being INSUBORDINATE. There must be something in the employee handbook specifically addressing who grants the time off to whom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment