Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:31 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris1994 View Post
I am astonished at the ignorance being displayed here regarding this disorder. I suffer from Bipolar Disorder II and display none of the traits which you ignorant people describe. Calling us nutjobs and psychos is no different than hate speech. The question at hand; 'is bipolar a protected class' and the answer is yes. It is a legitimate mood disorder and I, we don't appreciate being stigmatized as hateful, swearing, unstable nutjobs. I for one hold an advanced degree and I am very successful. Yes, I take medication and yes I speak with a therapist regularly but that does not give you bigoted people any grounds to stigmatize this medical condition further. It's ignorant fools like yourselves that many people either deny they have the condition or fail to seek treatment for fear of being treated different by their peers. It is not the person that suffers bipolar disorder that is the problem; the problem lies with you insensitive and bigoted people who stigmatize everyone with bipolar disorder based on limited or just false experience with those suffering this condition. I am surprised that the people posting such hateful responses are even capable of putting together coherent sentences beyond a Dr. Seuss rhyme. You people are posting nothing but hate speech toward a group of which you know nothing about. It is not the sufferer of bipolar disorder that needs to be locked in a room to drone over a computer as their profession. It is you hateful people who need to walk a mile in our shoes to see what it is actually like to have this disorder, fight through it and succeed. You hateful people need to be locked in a room with a computer and spew your hate toward another group seeing that you are incapable of empathy and the mere attempt at intellect to understand the disorder. You hateful people are an embarrassment to humanity.
Now see, if somebody in the workplace ranted like this, or at a social gathering, it would be obvious that this is not someone you want to work with or deal with again. If someone like this was my supervisor or boss, I would be out of there in a week. F* unemployment. I would quit without notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 09:04 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,447,098 times
If (and I stress IF) bi-polar is a protected class, it's only because an employee cant be terminated solely because of the condition.

If, however, the employee's behavior is unacceptable (whether or not he/she takes meds), he/she can be terminated because of that.

Inappropriate behavior is never protected, regardless of the cause.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:52 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,637,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morris1994 View Post
I am astonished at the ignorance being displayed here regarding this disorder. I suffer from Bipolar Disorder II and display none of the traits which you ignorant people describe. Calling us nutjobs and psychos is no different than hate speech. The question at hand; 'is bipolar a protected class' and the answer is yes. It is a legitimate mood disorder and I, we don't appreciate being stigmatized as hateful, swearing, unstable nutjobs. I for one hold an advanced degree and I am very successful. Yes, I take medication and yes I speak with a therapist regularly but that does not give you bigoted people any grounds to stigmatize this medical condition further. It's ignorant fools like yourselves that many people either deny they have the condition or fail to seek treatment for fear of being treated different by their peers. It is not the person that suffers bipolar disorder that is the problem; the problem lies with you insensitive and bigoted people who stigmatize everyone with bipolar disorder based on limited or just false experience with those suffering this condition. I am surprised that the people posting such hateful responses are even capable of putting together coherent sentences beyond a Dr. Seuss rhyme. You people are posting nothing but hate speech toward a group of which you know nothing about. It is not the sufferer of bipolar disorder that needs to be locked in a room to drone over a computer as their profession. It is you hateful people who need to walk a mile in our shoes to see what it is actually like to have this disorder, fight through it and succeed. You hateful people need to be locked in a room with a computer and spew your hate toward another group seeing that you are incapable of empathy and the mere attempt at intellect to understand the disorder. You hateful people are an embarrassment to humanity.

I do agree with what I have bolded and underlined. You are correct, it is hate speech. I personally know a couple of people that I am related to that is bipolar and I would NEVER stigmatize them and make fun of them and call them nasty names. I don't even think of them in that manner.

However, if a person is being abusive at work, then that situation needs to be handled.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:19 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,959 times
If an employee is being abusive at work then it is easier to handle. If your boss or C-level employee is abusive, and you work below those two, you need to start looking for a new job. Now. That was my particular situation. There were two partners who owned the company. One had serious mood swings, and as a result was severely malicious and vindictive. So how do you know if someone is bipolar? This is how. When someone explodes for no reason. When someone bounces between being euphoric and in a major rage. My mother is bipolar, but not to such an extreme. SO I ACTUALLY DO KNOW.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
If an employee is being abusive at work then it is easier to handle. If your boss or C-level employee is abusive, and you work below those two, you need to start looking for a new job. Now. That was my particular situation. There were two partners who owned the company. One had serious mood swings, and as a result was severely malicious and vindictive. So how do you know if someone is bipolar? This is how. When someone explodes for no reason. When someone bounces between being euphoric and in a major rage. My mother is bipolar, but not to such an extreme. SO I ACTUALLY DO KNOW.

I, too left a particular job that had my supervisor having extreme mood swings and people felt like they were walking on eggshells around her. One day she came in to work and you could tell she was angry. An hour or so after she gets there one of my coworkers knocks on her door, as the day before the supervisor had said she wanted to see this particular coworker about some project. Upon knocking on the door the coworker was met with the supervisor asking her "What the hell do you want?" All of us close by heard her. The previous day this person was in a great mood. But her moods fluctuated to the point that people were afraid to even ask her questions or relate in any way to her. A few months later it finally came out that this supervisor was indeed bipolar.

That incident was not the reason I left. There were other instances before that one. I had just had enough of the toxic environment this person caused and got another job.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,726 times
Default Wow

Pertaining to the original question: I want to clear something up, just as other people are doing. As someone who is bipolar and can hold down a job, I would like to say that this is a stupid question because when a person who is bipolar forgets to take their meds for a day, they don't act like this. AT ALL. That isn't how bipolar disorder works. Furthermore, I had a supervisor who was moody, nasty and unpredictable and yelled at people all the time. She wasn't bipolar. She was just a horrible boss. Randomly yelling and swearing at people are not actual medical symptoms of bipolar disorder, even when one is having mood swings. Before people start giving examples of scenerios possibly involving bipolar disorder they should do some research.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:37 AM

280 posts, read 686,346 times
Do employers even have access to your medical records?

Old 01-04-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia2822 View Post
Pertaining to the original question: I want to clear something up, just as other people are doing. As someone who is bipolar and can hold down a job, I would like to say that this is a stupid question because when a person who is bipolar forgets to take their meds for a day, they don't act like this. AT ALL. That isn't how bipolar disorder works. Furthermore, I had a supervisor who was moody, nasty and unpredictable and yelled at people all the time. She wasn't bipolar. She was just a horrible boss. Randomly yelling and swearing at people are not actual medical symptoms of bipolar disorder, even when one is having mood swings. Before people start giving examples of scenerios possibly involving bipolar disorder they should do some research.

In my example, my boss WAS bipolar. That's the difference between my example and others.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,447,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
Do employers even have access to your medical records?

If your employer pays any portion of your medical insurance or medical bills, the answer is yes.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:46 AM

280 posts, read 686,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
If your employer pays any portion of your medical insurance or medical bills, the answer is yes.
I mean prospective employers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment