Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 03:55 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
So my oatmeal five days a week and brown rice/whole wheat 4-6 times a week aren't enough on top of fresh fruits and vegatables? The USDA begs to differ. According to them, my diet is very healthy. My doctor feels the same way.
Glad that works for you. It's clear why my grocery bill for one is more than for your entire family (then again, I eat about 5 times the vegetables you do and have no access to a garden or a friendly neighbor to share his produce). My doctor would give me a shrill lecture if I had your diet. In fact, I grew up with that sort of diet which is why I am now trying to lose a significant amount of weight. I'm glad you can stay slim on that diet as well- I don't have your metabolism at 22.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 04:09 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchs View Post
1. MDs receive between 0 - 3 hours of coursework on nutrition in medical school. Some choose to expand their knowledge; others do not.
2. Learn the difference between insoluble and soluble fiber.
3. You mentioned broccoli, a tomato and an orange. That isn't enough in 1 day under any dietary guideline.

Again, your standards while higher than many doesn't change the fact that your diet is still significantly lacking in one of the most basic and important elements ; the lack of which is the cause of many disease only found in certain parts of the world. That is your perogative. Many choose to overlook this part of their diet due to a widespread ignorance and a lack of importance paid to it until disaster strikes; others simply cannot afford to purchase enough produce, since it can be very costly. And that is the nut of the debate; you are choosing a cheaper diet which is lacking, which is absolutely your perogative. But to advocate that your standard is an appropriate baseline for others (when in fact it is biologically substandard) is wrong. However, a minimum wage income does not enable people to afford much of the very basics; basics which people have long learned to ignore. And it should - which is the debate at hand. That is all.
I mentioned brocoli, tomatoes and oranges. 2/3 to 3/4 of my diet is whole grains and vegetables/fruits already. In order to add more, I'd need to either not eat protien or eat more food than my body needs, neither is a smart decision. That was one day that I described. Monday night we're having vegetarian chili made with my homegrown tomatoes and kidney beans as another example. I'm guessing you are a member of PETA who advocates a raw vegan diet. Like I said, I'd rather live a few less years and actually enjoy what I eat.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:38 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
I mentioned brocoli, tomatoes and oranges. 2/3 to 3/4 of my diet is whole grains and vegetables/fruits already. In order to add more, I'd need to either not eat protien or eat more food than my body needs, neither is a smart decision. That was one day that I described. Monday night we're having vegetarian chili made with my homegrown tomatoes and kidney beans as another example. I'm guessing you are a member of PETA who advocates a raw vegan diet. Like I said, I'd rather live a few less years and actually enjoy what I eat.

kidney beans???? I rather put put tongue in the street-loo

Old 02-13-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
kidney beans???? I rather put put tongue in the street-loo
What the heck do you think you put in chili--green beans?

Old 02-13-2010, 04:47 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
I doubt tvguy cooks anything from scratch judging by past posts

Old 02-13-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Glad that works for you. It's clear why my grocery bill for one is more than for your entire family (then again, I eat about 5 times the vegetables you do and have no access to a garden or a friendly neighbor to share his produce). My doctor would give me a shrill lecture if I had your diet. In fact, I grew up with that sort of diet which is why I am now trying to lose a significant amount of weight. I'm glad you can stay slim on that diet as well- I don't have your metabolism at 22.
I don't understand what the problem is. I just finished dinner--3/4 of the food on my plate was broccoli. Explain how I could eat more, please? I also excercise portion control, something that most Americans seem completely incapable of doing. I don't eat a half pound of chicken, I eat four ounces. The entrees at a place like TGIF would be three if not four seperate meals for me, in fact thinking about them makes me feel nauseas.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:52 PM

51 posts, read 87,855 times
More than 1 person should be working in a family to support it, not just 1 person on minimum wage, that doesn't make sense. If you're a single parents with small kids there are programs there, or even child support (depending on the circumstance) but it isn't mean for 1 person to support the ENTIRE family.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I doubt tvguy cooks anything from scratch judging by past posts
Based on his photos he's well fed though.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:15 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
2 people with no kids and both making mininum wage living together can make it. By yourself in a major city though? No way...factor in kids, no way. Maybe where I live at in a low cost of living area but not in a normal area. Also if you have to live in the slums next to the druglords and listen to guns pop off all night I don't call that "making" it.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:19 AM

60 posts, read 289,825 times
You guessed wrong - again. FTR I am not even a vegetarian.

You made sauce with some chopped tomato. You ate 1 orange. Orange juice doesn't count - the juicing process depletes the fruit of the fiberous pulp and nutrients. It is or should be fairly common knowledge that juice is completely not required in a diet and many peds who do take the time to study nutrition will advise against giving it to children at all. However, some people still like to drink it which is why MAXIMUM amounts are provided as recommendations. See? I told you how you could cut the price of your grocery bill.

I'm glad you ate a lot of broccoli at dinner - by my count per the USDA standards (which if you do any reading by the people who were originally on the committe to set said standards you will realize that they are fairly substandard) you had 3 servings of fruits and vegetables in your diet; not even half the recommended daily intake. But produce is very expensive, which brings us to the original argument which is NOT to debate your personal diet (which you submitted originally to be made an example of) but that minimum wage and a healthy balanced diet are usually incompatible, even if you clip coupons or budget. The diet you submitted is lacking one of the most basic and important elements and that perspective is decidedly NOT radical, but in fact quite compliant with mainstream science. Even if you eat all the oatmeal in the world - your diet is STILL lacking in a basic, but most important element. That's it.

I actually don't care about your outlook on nutrition- your original argument was about how a healthy and well balanced diet could be maintained on minimum wage through coupon clipping and budgeting. Then you posted your diet as an example, which actually lacked one of the most basic, important and EXPENSIVE elements. And the argument is that to eat a diet containing the amount of produce needed to maintain a basic healthy diet, coupled with other survival basics; the costs will exceed that which will be earned on minmim wage. That is the debate, and your example which you held up to prove your point actually disproved it.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment