Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:59 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
First of all I am so sorry that happened to you and I hope that you found a good job with people that respect you. No I didn't mean to regroup at work I did mean that you could have the rest of the day at home to regroup. Although it has not happened to me I do recall it happening to a coworker. She had worked the entire day had no inkling that anything was wrong at the end of the day we were walking to our cars and she got a call from the temp agency that the company had hired through she was told she was not right for the job. This after she had put in a full day of work the manager of the dept didn't even have the guts to call her in and tell her himself. She wondered the same thing I did why didn't they tell her at the beginning of the day then she could have gone through the process of job loss and regroup herself in order to find another job. For an employer to expect you to work the rest of the day after you were told you were out of a job is in my opinion just plain outrageous. I would have cried as well.
This wasn't a temp job, either.

I really had no idea this was coming. I'd had a perfect job performance review.

I was always early to work, never missed work and got along with everyone.

After I was gone with no warning, the employees sent me a Thank You card, signed by all of them. In it, everyone wrote me a personal message.
Apparently, they all wanted to have the opportunity to thank me for all the help I'd been to all of them.

It really hurt.

Actually, I've just realized that it still does.

Last edited by World Citizen; 03-05-2010 at 09:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 09:54 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
(This may be a bit off the OPs original post but I wanted to comment since the thread is going in this direction).

I knew something was going to happen because business and our leads were down so drastically. The matter had already been discussed with my supervisor, who was a good one. She was usually not on site. Her territory covered much of north Georgia and she had an office on the other side of Atlanta. I was told in training that if I was doing what I was supposed to I wouldn't see her often. This is exactly what happened. I was in touch with her daily by email and phone. A weekly report was submitted every Saturday.

When I interviewed for this position, the economy was already starting its slide. I addressed the issue straight on in the interview with my immediate supervisor and the HR rep. I told them I was an excellent marketer but did not have any control over the economy and they both agreed. No one can do the impossible and they hired me.

The day I was let go I left home early to renew my driver's license and went to work from there. I even went by HR, although the one on site did not handle my division. I had been trying, upon the recommendation of my supervisor, to get an appointment with the HR representative on site so I could remain with the company in another division and keep my insurance. There were a few part time openings and I would have taken anything. My supervisor had prepared a recommendation letter for me the previous weekend.

I worked, came home and checked the mail. There was a letter from HR for my department telling me that my position had been eliminated in a work force reduction. It also stated that they had tried to reach me by telephone, which was news to me. The next thing I did was check my voice mail. While I was doing this the phone rang and it was HR. They frantically said they had been trying to get in touch with me all day and asked where I had been. I replied, "at work." Then they said, "no, no you don't work there any more." I told them that I had just got home and read the letter. They repeated that they had tried to contact me all day and I said, "I was checking the voice mail when you called. Let me see if it's on there." There was a message. The time was a bit after I had left the house that morning. Again they asked why I had gone to work that day and I said, "because I was supposed to. No one told me not to report." At this point the HR person told me not to report to work any more and to call the numbers listed in the letter if I had any questions. I sent an email to my boss and received a reply the next day. She had also been eliminated. I still receive emails from her sometimes.

Last edited by antiquesmountainapache; 03-05-2010 at 11:02 AM..

Old 03-05-2010, 11:45 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
I am sick of hearing:

"Do whatever it takes"

There is only so much a person can do to get a job. It is just at the point now that a person's best just isn't enough.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:53 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
(This may be a bit off the OPs original post but I wanted to comment since the thread is going in this direction).

I knew something was going to happen because business and our leads were down so drastically. The matter had already been discussed with my supervisor, who was a good one. She was usually not on site. Her territory covered much of north Georgia and she had an office on the other side of Atlanta. I was told in training that if I was doing what I was supposed to I wouldn't see her often. This is exactly what happened. I was in touch with her daily by email and phone. A weekly report was submitted every Saturday.

When I interviewed for this position, the economy was already starting its slide. I addressed the issue straight on in the interview with my immediate supervisor and the HR rep. I told them I was an excellent marketer but did not have any control over the economy and they both agreed. No one can do the impossible and they hired me.

The day I was let go I left home early to renew my driver's license and went to work from there. I even went by HR, although the one on site did not handle my division. I had been trying, upon the recommendation of my supervisor, to get an appointment with the HR representative on site so I could remain with the company in another division and keep my insurance. There were a few part time openings and I would have taken anything. My supervisor had prepared a recommendation letter for me the previous weekend.

I worked, came home and checked the mail. There was a letter from HR for my department telling me that my position had been eliminated in a work force reduction. It also stated that they had tried to reach me by telephone, which was news to me. The next thing I did was check my voice mail. While I was doing this the phone rang and it was HR. They frantically said they had been trying to get in touch with me all day and asked where I had been. I replied, "at work." Then they said, "no, no you don't work there any more." I told them that I had just got home and read the letter. They repeated that they had tried to contact me all day and I said, "I was checking the voice mail when you called. Let me see if it's on there." There was a message. The time was a bit after I had left the house that morning. Again they asked why I had gone to work that day and I said, "because I was supposed to. No one told me not to report." At this point the HR person told me not to report to work any more and to call the numbers listed in the letter if I had any questions. I sent an email to my boss and received a reply the next day. She had also been eliminated. I still receive emails from her sometimes.
Wow. It's amazing how these things are done...

Unfortunately, the marketing budget is the first thing most companies cut in slow markets, even though it's most essential to their bottom line.

Last edited by World Citizen; 03-05-2010 at 12:14 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 12:00 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
At this point, I'm just sick of this dismal job market and sad economy. I dream of the days when everything seemed fine. I had a permn job, steady paychecks and I could splurge at least monthly on a mini shopping trip. I was at happy hours every week, partying with friend every weekend and taking a major trip every year. I could go to Target and buy everything I needed instead of rationing only what I need that day and having to wait weeks to get maybe 2 more things.

I remember when I spent $40 on gas in a MONTH!...when my utilities were dirt cheap (actually had a few $30 bills years back)...when my cats could eat premium cat food...

Those were the days!

Old 03-05-2010, 12:06 PM

I hear ya Miss Crabcakes. Nothing is ever good enough for these employers. They expect perfection even if they themselves are not. They expect you to have a masters degree to answer phones and pay minimum wage. They expect you to work yourself to death and still not be able to pay all of the household bills. They don't want any gaps in a resume. They want portfolios.

A person can only give so much, so what are the employees getting in return for all of the hard work making someone else rich?

Old 03-05-2010, 12:33 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
Great posts!

A lot of people seem have trite sayings for things they know nothing about. I think I have heard all of the ones people have posted here and I do have a job, I just don't like it.

My favorite is when they say to check the local paper (sic). Then you know they haven't looked for a job in ages.

Or when they tell you to "keep calling to let them know you're still really interested." Such out of date advice. Employers don't want lots of calls. Don't call us, we'll call you...is more like it.

Some people live in their own little worlds, and have no idea what is really going on out there.
The economy is NOT getting better, and it won't get better until we get our manufacturing base back in the US. People talk like the economy just gets better or worse like some silly weather prediction.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:19 PM

I agree Nebulous1.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:57 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
YES. On my local Craigslist, someone posted about needing advice on a good employment lawyer because she was being harassed at work. Immediately, there were about 10 follow ups saying she should just 'deal with' the abuse, because she was 'lucky to have a job'.

Sorry, but nobody should have to 'put up' with abuse because it's hard to find a job.

When the economy picks up (I have faith ) those employers who treat their employees like scum are going to be screwed.
True..........but it beats not having one.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:11 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Workplace mobbing is really becoming a widespread issue. I keep hearing about it all the time on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
YES. On my local Craigslist, someone posted about needing advice on a good employment lawyer because she was being harassed at work. Immediately, there were about 10 follow ups saying she should just 'deal with' the abuse, because she was 'lucky to have a job'.

Sorry, but nobody should have to 'put up' with abuse because it's hard to find a job.

When the economy picks up (I have faith ) those employers who treat their employees like scum are going to be screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment