Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:22 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,060,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned these, but

1) Smelly lunches: The smell of Salmon travels...and lingers.
Yeah ... I like some foods that have strong smells but out of consideration for my colleagues, I refrain from bringing those dishes for lunch. I also get annoyed by good smelling food as it makes me hungry and want to snatch it away from the person feasting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 02:42 PM

687 posts, read 1,122,665 times
Finally decided to quit my crappy job and give notice this Monday. I was able to interview for a job this week and just have one more step to go. Even if I don't get this one there are a few openings elsewhere and I have enough money saved to look for awhile. Just knowing that I will be handing in my letter of resignation feels like a heavy weight off my shoulders. Maybe they will want me to leave earlier than two weeks and they will have to pay me anyway. I was asked how soon I could start and they used the term "fabulous" when I said immediately! No more being depressed seeing sick and hurt people day in and day out while working with the wicked witches of the east!

Old 04-03-2010, 02:50 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,142,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osuzana View Post
Finally decided to quit my crappy job and give notice this Monday. I was able to interview for a job this week and just have one more step to go. Even if I don't get this one there are a few openings elsewhere and I have enough money saved to look for awhile. Just knowing that I will be handing in my letter of resignation feels like a heavy weight off my shoulders. Maybe they will want me to leave earlier than two weeks and they will have to pay me anyway. I was asked how soon I could start and they used the term "fabulous" when I said immediately! No more being depressed seeing sick and hurt people day in and day out while working with the wicked witches of the east!

I was surprised they let this girl at my job work two weeks before she leaves since she has only been there 3 months. I would think they would tell her GOODBYE right away

Old 04-03-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I was surprised they let this girl at my job work two weeks before she leaves since she has only been there 3 months. I would think they would tell her GOODBYE right away
That's what I'm hoping for! They have to pay me regardless if I stay or they say to go before the two weeks since I am officially giving two weeks notice.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
That's what I'm hoping for! They have to pay me regardless if I stay or they say to go before the two weeks since I am officially giving two weeks notice.
I don't see the purpose of a 2 week notice. A week makes more sense because in that last week what do you really care about? You are basically just taking waiting to leave when you can be HOME getting ready for the new job

Old 04-03-2010, 04:21 PM

I understand what you are saying but there really isn't anything to get ready for at home for the new job. The point is that I will say two weeks but I am pretty certain they will want me to go immediatley and will have to pay me for two whole weeks instead of just one. If I do stay the two weeks that is. If the new company is ready to have me start sooner and will have a paycheck to follow than I will just leave. Since I started my present job, I tore cartiliage in my knee, my husband sprained an ankle and then broke his leg and has been laid up since February. It's been one bad event after another as if there was a curse starting this job. We will both be happier on both sides.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I understand what you are saying but there really isn't anything to get ready for at home for the new job. The point is that I will say two weeks but I am pretty certain they will want me to go immediatley and will have to pay me for two whole weeks instead of just one. If I do stay the two weeks that is. If the new company is ready to have me start sooner and will have a paycheck to follow than I will just leave. Since I started my present job, I tore cartiliage in my knee, my husband sprained an ankle and then broke his leg and has been laid up since February. It's been one bad event after another as if there was a curse starting this job. We will both be happier on both sides.

I meant to say give yourself a little vacation before the new job starts

Old 04-03-2010, 05:12 PM

52,741 posts, read 48,088,482 times
I'm more annoyed by lazy co-workers or people who hate being at that workplace than I am about fire drills. And my place of business is single-story, so elevators don't really play a role here.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:31 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,860,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Yeah ... I like some foods that have strong smells but out of consideration for my colleagues, I refrain from bringing those dishes for lunch. I also get annoyed by good smelling food as it makes me hungry and want to snatch it away from the person feasting.
Ever noticed how MUCH the smell of freshly popped popcorn travels ?

Old 04-03-2010, 05:55 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,499,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
2. Lunchroom TV

Thank god they do not air The Peoples Court anymore. Its like watching my work on TV during lunch. How awesome does that sound!? Now they watch Deal or No Deal. How about you put the F'n news on so I can see what is going on in the world instead of numbing my brain some more!
Oh my God yes. I can even one up you, I work in a place where the TV is on all the time, so people in the waiting room can watch it. I usually keep on CNN or let the people watch the game shows. The ladies in the other module watch the judge shows ALL DAY after noon. (judge judy, joe brown, judge alex, etc, etc) Whenever I cover over there I pray to God it is busy so I don't have to watch that insane drivel. Seriously how can people watch those shows. Also the Bonnie Hunt show. Who the f**k puts these people on the air? I am serious when I say I would rather not have the TV than have those shows on. Actually I yearn for the day when I get a job where there is a lot less downtime or no TV at all so I can move up in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment