Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 05:32 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,862,296 times

Advertisements

Well here's an example of Payroll being part of human resources in the US.
Payroll Office-Human Resources

I am sure they are not the only one.

Signing out of this thread now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 07:19 PM

409 posts, read 873,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
He made the cut to get a phone interview, but didn't make the cut from there to an in person interview. I will be sending emails Monday to tell those I did a phone interview with who didn't make it to the second round that we've decided to go with a different applicant.

What I don't understand is why didn't you just tell the poor slob he didn't get the job? Granted 3 calls in 5 days is a lot, but you knew he didn't make the cut everytime you spoke to him. What's the point of "keeping hope alive"?

On the other hand, when interviewed for my current job, they told me not to call them. Hinted if I did it could knock me out of the running. I'm glad they warned me

Old 05-08-2010, 08:50 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
As bande1102 suggests, try giving the applicant a time line, set some expectations. If you can't do that then it appears you don't really know what you're doing or you're just not good at making decisions.

When I interview, and typically I know I won't get the job, I always ask about a timeline. Why waste my time waiting on some yokels who are going to hire the VP's neighbor's nephew anyway. I know that at some point I can transition my focus back to reality.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:55 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
As bande1102 suggests, try giving the applicant a time line, set some expectations. If you can't do that then it appears you don't really know what you're doing or you're just not good at making decisions.
I believe it was said a time line was given and people were given a pretty good idea of what to expect.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:02 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:

When I interview, and typically I know I won't get the job, I always ask about a timeline. Why waste my time waiting on some yokels who are going to hire the VP's neighbor's nephew anyway. I know that at some point I can transition my focus back to reality.

That used to be a question I never asked in the past which had me wondering WHEN will they call?

Old 05-09-2010, 10:19 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
What I don't understand is why didn't you just tell the poor slob he didn't get the job? Granted 3 calls in 5 days is a lot, but you knew he didn't make the cut everytime you spoke to him. What's the point of "keeping hope alive"?
I was waiting for my boss to get back to me to tell me if he would be sending the "thanks but no thanks letters" or if he wanted me to do so. He had a crazy schedule and Blackberry problems this week, so I only found out his answer Friday afternoon. I'm an employee, not the owner of the company, so while I have a lot of lattitude, there are protocols that I follow.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:

If you'll go back and read, you'll see where EVERY applicant got an email with a timeline stated in it that was clear about our timeframes for hiring someone. They all go that email within a day or two of me receiving their resume, so there should be zero questions in anyone's mind unless they didn't bother to read the response.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:04 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
He obviously really wants the job. But he doesn't have the qualifications we're looking for. Why on earth should we hire a proven pest who annoys people and doesn't have the specific experience we're looking for when we have two incredibly qualified people that conduct themselves very professionally that we are deciding between?
well not having the qualifications I get, but I root for the underdog. I think if he had the qualifications and was a pest I would think maybe he really needs the job. I dont know, look I feel sorry for people. So many need a job right now and are really desperate and feel beat down. I get your point but sometimes people who call alot are really trying hard and desperate. Desperate people if they have the qualifications may make a great LOYAL employee!!!! Thats all, just a bleeding heart here.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
well not having the qualifications I get, but I root for the underdog. I think if he had the qualifications and was a pest I would think maybe he really needs the job. I dont know, look I feel sorry for people. So many need a job right now and are really desperate and feel beat down. I get your point but sometimes people who call alot are really trying hard and desperate. Desperate people if they have the qualifications may make a great LOYAL employee!!!! Thats all, just a bleeding heart here.
The other two are also unemployed. This position has a great deal of customer contact in an industry where the wheels tend to turn very slowly. Being a pest is not going to win you business. He wasn't the right guy for the job, the end.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:46 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,598 times
When I was applying for jobs out of undergrad and grad, the same thing happened to me every single time (I'm not saying this is universal by any means though). It's usually decided within hours after the interview whether you get the job and I've always been called within three or four days with good news. If I didn't get the job, it was always (except for once) reported via email at least a week later.

A "Thank You" note may help if you're on right on the edge with another candidate, but other than that there's really nothing you can do after the interview that's going to make a difference. Trust me, repeated calling will probably end up pissing someone off and never help your chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment