Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 01:35 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,530,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
I've had 4 job offers since I graduated (a whole 3 weeks ago). Turned them down for various reasons (better interviews coming up).

There are jobs, it just speaks to competence of the seeker, and in the meantime, yes I am working, taking home a check, and making about as much as I would on unemployment, except I'm a productive member of society...
ohh boy your the best DUDE!!! Your my HERO!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 03:51 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,680,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Also I think unemployment handouts when extended should be whittled down (step down extensions to encourage getting some kind of work) and there should be a way to encourage people to grab temporary jobs and part time jobs because those can convert to full time work. And if someone is willing to pack up and relocate to get a job, it seems to me that it would be much smarter for their state to assist them with that rather than hold on to them keeping them unemployed forever.
Hypothetically, if no person can claim official poverty, why would anyone not volunteering to provide labor input to the market for labor matter?

Old 05-30-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
all part of a larger american consciousness carefully programmed into them for 40 years.
mind your own business, if you help anybody else or intervene you will be punished.
evil is ok if it does not affect you. let the authorites handle stuff its not your business.
the concept of we has been methodically beaten down. also rugged individalism has been revered as a god. that is why we are now so apathetic to those around us.
current mind set, if it didnt happen to me it didnt happen.
nowhere is this more illustrated as in the bizarre fact that american labor is anti labor, they hate absolutely hate unions. unions, the only thing that is keeping france from drowning in illegal immigration.
I wish people would apply that same concept to any already delegated powers specifically enumerated in our federal Constitution.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think your problem is that you want to mix State and Church, you want to make it about religion. Forced government charity isn't charity at all. Confiscating the earnings of working people to support a growing class of non-working people isn't the solution.
Providing for the general welfare can be considered a form of public charity. We are not moral enough for private charity to solve poverty via Capitalism.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:29 PM

201 posts, read 432,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Hypothetically, if no person can claim official poverty, why would anyone not volunteering to provide labor input to the market for labor matter?
This post does not make any sence.

"official poverty" is a scam, the poverty line as defined by the government is way below what it takes to live a first world quality of life espeically if you are a degreed professional who has earned his seat at the "table" so to speak. As I said before and will say it again americans want to go to work but they are not going to do it for free. The american worker can not maintain there mortgage, car, kids, bills, a few toys, etc on chineese slave labor wages and thats really the issue especally if they were able to maintain these things before the corporate wage deflation efforts started comming into effect.

If you were to become a victem of wage deflation I bet you would not be ok telling your kids, sorry we have to live on 10$ a day for food because thats all anyone pays anymore and daddy is just so lazy and cant compete with chineese slave labor. In fact your post and wage deflation is so absurd I can not even come up with a good sarcastic scenario because its so sad.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:44 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,657,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
ohh boy your the best DUDE!!! Your my HERO!!

I wish I lived in the jobs capital of the world like the few here that speak of these jobs!

Old 05-30-2010, 07:57 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,095,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
This feels like an us vs. them message board.

(Some of) The employed seem to self-righteously relish their current status, and arrogantly judge those less fortunate. They forget or deny that life can knock THEM on their ___ as well.

Some of the employed call the underemployed and unemployed lazy and ignorant. That's sheer idiocy. What folks fail to realize is that, yes, some non-workers take advantage of the "handouts", yet others wish to high heaven that they were working. They DON'T want handouts. They want to make an honest, decent living.

I'm tired of the snobbery and ignorance. People seem to forget that their "ivory towers" can come crashing down on them.

There is no immunity from hard times.

What's that saying? "Pride comes before a fall." Some of you folks better watch it. Your towers may come a'tumblin' down. You'd be ashamed then, wouldn't you? You'd feel like idiots ...

I used to work with this Woman when I worked a collection law firm..She would belittle people who werent able to pay their debts. Most of them had just lost their jobs on the verge of losing their houses.
Yeah she got laid off too. She shouldnt have judge people if she hasnt walked in their shoes.
If you paid into unemployment damn well you deserve it..

Old 05-31-2010, 04:24 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,530,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
I wish I lived in the jobs capital of the world like the few here that speak of these jobs!
yes some people just dont get it because they never leave their 2.2 square miles. I have been to some pretty desolate areas on the Country. I have actually been in towns where I did not see one person/car for hours and hours.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janman345 View Post

"official poverty" is a scam, the poverty line as defined by the government is way below what it takes to live a first world quality of life espeically if you are a degreed professional who has earned his seat at the "table" so to speak. As I said before and will say it again americans want to go to work but they are not going to do it for free. The american worker can not maintain there mortgage, car, kids, bills, a few toys, etc on chineese slave labor wages and thats really the issue especally if they were able to maintain these things before the corporate wage deflation efforts started comming into effect.
Our civic obligation ends with official poverty. Someone with a degree should be able to command a market based wage sooner, rather than later. It should be up to the market participant to pursue their own form of individual liberty and Happiness.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janman345 View Post
If you were to become a victem of wage deflation I bet you would not be ok telling your kids, sorry we have to live on 10$ a day for food because thats all anyone pays anymore and daddy is just so lazy and cant compete with chineese slave labor. In fact your post and wage deflation is so absurd I can not even come up with a good sarcastic scenario because its so sad.
It should depend on the individual labor market participant. You could be emancipated from forms of wage slavery and endeavor to command a prevailing, market based wage.

We have a Ninth Amendment, a federal doctrine, and state at-will employment laws to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment