Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 11:59 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

That's a really bad attitude to have. Team-work doesn't involve you angrily sitting by saying "They'll get whats coming to them"

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
What comes around goes around. They'll get whats coming to them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 02:19 PM

228 posts, read 802,718 times
Who is the team lead?

I have this issue at work too, I do my share, and let the pieces fall where they man. I make sure to tell the boss my contribution to the project. Since I'm not the team lead I can't really get on anyone.

That said I can't believe how incredibly lazy and arrogant my coworkers are. They complain about working, they complain about not working, then somehow magically think they are entitled to jobs that are above this one (as this is beneath them). As far as i am concerned, they haven't graduated to cashier at McDs yet.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I don't think it's as cut and dry as the one who does all the work is "the amazing one" and the others are just "evil fools that should be fired."

We don't know if the OP expresses value to her team-mates. Did she set an agenda? Is she approachable? If she was a perfectionist-control-freak about the project then it is possible her team mates are being passive-aggressive in response. Or her team-mates are busy doing other tasks and projects. Or her team-mates are going through medical, psychological, or family problems.
Probably some jobs require team work but sometimes middle management likes to apply the concept where it doesn't fit. Sometimes it should be about the individual - if everyone does his or her work then things will run fine.

Sometimes "teamwork" is just a management crutch because no one knows how to manage and figure that if the strong employees would do everything for the slackers everything will be great - or - because the managers don't want to manage and so by telling the "team" to take care of each other, the managers won't have to take care of the problems.

At any rate, teamwork requires everyone be playing his role, including the managers who should make sure of that. If a control freak is taking over and the rest are becoming passive-aggressive, that's the fault of management for letting that happen.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
- Talk to everyone like they are your really good friends.

- Set an agenda.

- Spell out the details.

- Set deadlines.

- Send out progress reminders by email. ie: "Hey I am seeing how everyone is doing. Remember the work is due on this date. Thank you. Call me if you have any concerns."

- Make sure everyone knows how valuable they and their work are to you.

- Make sure you never belittle any of your peers in public or in private.

- If someone needs to elaborate or make corrections make sure you tell them in a detailed manner. "If you could elaborate more on this it would clear up any loose ends. Then we will be finished and ready to turn it in. Thank you."

- Do not try to punish any of your team mates by having them ostracized. I guarantee you, that it will backfire in your face.
Those are great tips -- but they won't work in a poorly managed workplace. For one if you do those in some places, someone higher up will think you're taking over, trying to show them up. And your peers will run and tattle on you saying you're not the boss so you shouldn't be emailing them stuff like that. Or your peers could decide you are taking over and decide it's time to get the boss to realize that and squash you down.

Now in a good workplace where team leaders are given some authority and the team concept isn't just a way for the boss to excuse himself from any responsibility or that strong natural team leaders are developed and promoted, then that will certainly work.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:32 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
OP, air your grievance with them. Or inform your line manager of this.

I don't think leaving it alone is the key. In life, one must stand up for themselves and not allow others to walk over them. Refuse to do their work.

You have your own tasks to do. Focus on your own work, and let them take the heat.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:47 PM

68 posts, read 206,029 times
If you prefer to work alone, can you discuss that with your boss? I think you would be happier to be yourself, rather than trying to be the team player that you don't desire to be.

Definitely stop doing other peoples work if you continue the job. It may seem like a petty move, but its a move that has to be made and enforced.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:02 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Step in and take over their work for them. Do their job plus yours. Management will notice, and pretty soon you will be promoted and not have to work with them any more.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:22 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
Quote:
That's a really bad attitude to have. Team-work doesn't involve you angrily sitting by saying "They'll get whats coming to them"
Why wouldn't they get what's coming to them?

If he refuses to do their work, should he (or would he) get the blame? I don't see how he can personally.

He should document his own tasks, and ensure they're complete and within deadline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment