Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 12:46 AM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,934 times

Advertisements

According to Stascan's 'Census 2006', USA is the top 5th country of birth of recent immigrants, 1981 to 2006.
url address: www12.statcan.ca/census-recensement/2006/as-sa/97-557/table/t1-eng.cfm

With regards to full-time workers from USA as per Census 2006, the following table is self-explanatory.
If you would like to read more, please refer to this url address: statcan.gc.ca/pub/11-008-x/2010002/article/11166-eng.htm

Attached Thumbnails
Americans immigrating-table-1_foreign-workers-canada.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 09:38 AM

589 posts, read 756,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
When the USA goes to **** i'd rather not be here honestly. There are those who think it is honorable to go down with the ship, I say its stupid. Thats why I was asking my question. Oh and may I add Canadian schools (even the top ones) are incredibly affordable (for international students) compared to almost all of the out-of-state tuition prices here in America.

The grass is always greener on the other side...But Canada has its issues to. The image many folks people have of Canada is the 1970s and earlier picture of it, where it was largely a English-French society. The population today is far more diverse, for better or worse depends on the individual. The last time i visited Montreal in 2000 though I was shocked that quite a few areas resembled some of the most run down areas of Detroit, and it wasnt like that a few years prior. Chock that up to Canada not assimilating some of its immigrants properly [the area was a Haitian area, walking through there at night...not reccomended].

Old 06-19-2010, 12:22 PM

683 posts, read 1,468,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
The grass is always greener on the other side...But Canada has its issues to. The image many folks people have of Canada is the 1970s and earlier picture of it, where it was largely a English-French society. The population today is far more diverse, for better or worse depends on the individual. The last time i visited Montreal in 2000 though I was shocked that quite a few areas resembled some of the most run down areas of Detroit, and it wasnt like that a few years prior. Chock that up to Canada not assimilating some of its immigrants properly [the area was a Haitian area, walking through there at night...not reccomended].
You are trying to create hate towards certain ethnic groups.

Last edited by Edu983; 06-19-2010 at 12:59 PM..

Old 06-19-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
You are trying to create hate towards certain ethnic groups.

Sorry for forgetting to be politically correct in my post. Next time I will do so just to make you happy.

And on that note, I did clearly state Canada wasnt doing enough to assimilate immigrants [thus blaming Canada, not any ethnic group].

[I love this smiley btw, it is just the best smiley around to add in as a reply to you. Sums up my response quite well].

Last edited by jonaos; 06-19-2010 at 01:25 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 07:18 AM

683 posts, read 1,468,740 times
Jonaos,

?

An immigrant that relocates to Canada is usually a highly skilled person, and Canadian cities (Toronto), do not look like Detroit (as you said).

Old 06-21-2010, 11:56 PM

I did say some areas of the city, not the entire city. The immigrant portions of Montreal that are bad [and some ARE very bad] point to Canada's lack of assimilating some of its migrants...That is what I meant. The grass is always greener on the other side as I said, the US has its issues with immigrants, but so does Canada.

And not all of Canada's migrants are skilled. The Asian ones are. But many of the Carribean ones are not.

Note that that is Montreal though [which I live at for two months of the year since 1996]. I have never been to Toronto, so that city might not have the same issues Montreal has.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:34 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
I did say some areas of the city, not the entire city. The immigrant portions of Montreal that are bad [and some ARE very bad] point to Canada's lack of assimilating some of its migrants...That is what I meant. The grass is always greener on the other side as I said, the US has its issues with immigrants, but so does Canada.

And not all of Canada's migrants are skilled. The Asian ones are. But many of the Carribean ones are not.

Note that that is Montreal though [which I live at for two months of the year since 1996]. I have never been to Toronto, so that city might not have the same issues Montreal has.
Toronto has similar issues to Montreal. If anything, gang-related crime in Toronto (in which unfortunately many immigrants and children of immigrants are involved) is quite a bit worse in Toronto these days than it is in Montreal.

As for American cities, well in Detroit at least most of the people living in run-down areas of the city aren't immigrants but American-born United States citizens.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:45 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
A NAFTA visa? I didn't realize Americans could work in Canada...that easily. Is that an easy visa to obtain, or a difficult one? I've heard most non-Canadians though are working way less than desireable jobs there, even if incredibly qualified.

I like Canadian politics...but never really liked the people. Way too anti-american in my experience, and way too nationalistic. But I do like some of the cities, etc.

Sadly, it is interesting how many people from all over the world emigrate to America...but very few if any countries allow this reciprocally.
Yeah, it's funny, everybody wants to come to America and other countries are trying to keep everyone out, with stricter rules/laws.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:57 PM

321 posts, read 960,350 times
Why would any American want to immigrate to Canada? It is much colder there, and the Canadians benefit from a lot of social services that strike fear into the hearts of most Americans either because they reek of "big government" or "communism." Most Americans would feel more at home in places like Cambodia or Syria, where the weather is nice, guns are used frequently, and the government provides practically no services at all.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:27 PM

244 posts, read 625,742 times
Or Somalia...I hear Darfur is an excellent choice for tea partiers...lots of guns and no government and social services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World