Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:44 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
So you would agree that America is all business and corporate interests? Do you think that there could be more to life than product innovations?

RU486 was developed by the French, tested and approved for use. America had a outrage over the product because of religious beliefs.
I've never been to Italy, but lived in Europe for much more than 15 years (no connection to US military) and have noticed that religion is not a factor in politics. America has an abundance of people who claim to see devils, demons, angels, ghosts, etc. That I did not see in Europe. The European media (radio, TV, print)is not saturated with evangelists or religiously oriented programs. Government buildings don't display the 10 Commandments. Many Europeans go to church and worship, but they don't demand that government should follow dictates from religious leaders. European christians are not screaming about persecution if they can't have their way. Europeans are not obsessed with the sexual behavior of their neighbors.
That's quite a stretch you've made from my original point. I agree that religion is not a factor in European electoral politics the way it has (nauseatingly) become in the USA. An "an abundance of people who claim to see devils, demons, angels, ghosts, etc?" You'll need to provide your definition of abundance on that one - there is a fringe of people with such beliefs in Europe and the USA who believe such things but they are not nthe majority in either place. The difference in the USA is that they are more vocal because if someone vocalizes such a thing in Europe, they will be socially ostracized quite quickly. In the States, where "letting your freak flag fly" is more the norm, this is less of a factor.

I've lived all over Europe (Belgium, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy) and have been surprised how some are actually --privately--more religious than I had suspected. Also, its interesting that the governments of some countries collect chuch donations for the churches (like in Germany) or how many religious holidays are also state holidays. Today is all saints day, a catholic holiday which is honored in most of western Europe - that is why I'm not at work today - the entire country (and most of Europe) is closed. As you know, there are many holidays like this. How about in Ireland (and northern Ireland) where abortion is still illegal given the strong Catholic influence on the law? There are many villages in Switzerland where they still conduct a Klausjagen with hundreds of men in robes walking through the town ringing huge bells to scare away the evil spirits. For example, in Germany they have the Christian Democrats and Christian Social Union parties although the christian part is seldom rolled out in their discourse - but 72 members of the European parliament come from parties with such a name. European policies and society are still influenced by religion but not necessarily their electoral politics. And you are correct, most Europeans are not obsessed with the sexual behavior of their neighbors but if you've lived in a village or two, you know they are always watching each other and gossiping, etc.

And televangalists? You perhaps never had European satelite TV - there are plenty of these kooky people on the air (mostly translations from the USA - ugh) but also their own Padre Pio channel, crystal magic channel, etc. Its not as widespread as in the USA but its there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 02:21 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
interesting comments thanks.

Funny,everybody mentions how Americans are fat yet skinny athletic women are a turn off to me,I like 'em bouncy!

Old 11-01-2007, 06:23 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
I'm just back from several years in Ireland. The biggest reverse culture shock for me after I returned were the ridiculously massive cars- Hummers, Escalades etc. The automobile in the US seems to have so much importance to so many people. In Ireland, you'd rarely see a huge SUV or gas guzzler (of course there, the cost of insurance is based on your engine size and petrol is around 8 bucks a gallon!). I'm now also very aware of how loud Americans can be. Every time I'm in a supermarket or restaurant I'm disturbed and annoyed by all of the excess noise. Americans yapping away on the mobile phones in their cars and in public, the car stereos booming, the Harley's up and down the street, etc. Overall, I'd say that the Irish were far less inclined to "impose". Also, to comment with respect to the previous posters about the religion factor in Ireland and other countries, from my experiences, there seemed to be a lot less judgment whether or not people were very religious. People in Ireland tended to keep their opinions to themselves and didn't seem to be too bothered with what other people did- maybe they just did all their talking behind closed doors I'm only aware now of how opinionated Americans can be. Many Americans have such a need to be heard. The flag wavers, bumper stickers, talk radio, protests, pro this or against that, etc. It's not a bad thing at all as it does make America unique (and yes, free) but it's something I am hyper aware of and can readily observe now that I've returned. Not saying Ireland was better, just different.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:47 PM

40 posts, read 121,517 times
I was in United States few month ago, but now I come to face a new environment. I moved to China (or, moved back to China), I cannot imagine how much trouble I face here though. I've been living here in China, but when I'm back I just couldn't change myself to suit this place (of communism). America may have changed me so much, and everyone is regarding me too strait forward. This really doesn't feel comfortable, and too was my political/any opinion conflicts with here in China.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:43 PM

634 posts, read 2,922,639 times
After living in England for two years and then coming back the the U.S., it was shocking to see how many people had I-Pods glued to their ears.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:34 PM

72 posts, read 258,784 times
After being in Taiwan for the summer and going to China and Cambodia, I was in for some shock. The extremely slow pace of life in suburbia, the deadness of the city at night. I did think that many Americans were bloated, and now think hardly anyone has a excuse for his obesity. I also found us to be whining over petty things. People in Cambodia barely survive day to day on food and water from sewage choked rivers and man-tilled fields. In America I found people complaining about things they are to blame, like gas prices and being beaten by The Man.

I did have some positive shock, like the cleanliness of the air and water. No boiling water or not being able to see 5 miles. Americans I've associated with since summer have fewer misconceptions of ethnic groups, since most of us have friends of different ethnic groups, religions, and economic class. Asian countries are very homogeneous ethnically and religiously. Many have never even seen Africans or South Americans or Hindus and Jews before.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:12 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
I lived in the US for 21 years and coming back to Europe to live was a huge culture shock, worse than when I first moved to the US. But getting older probably has something to do with that, you don't adjust as quickly when you're older.
The people, the way of life, everything was alien to me at first. I still stop and compare to the US and find myself as not really belonging here. The way Europe has changed over the years is very noticable.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:02 PM

307 posts, read 1,397,397 times
Moscow, Russia: Barely see any young fat people. All the girls are gorgeous and wear great clothes and the guys are even more lean and athletic.

America: Bunch of fat people

Paris, France: Amazing setting, vibe, and beautiful people.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:58 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo50 View Post
I have some rather blunt and negative views about my home, the USA.
I lived in Australia for 20 years and Europe for a few years too.
I'm 50. I returned 13 years ago. I did visit here every other year growing up and attended high school here for 2 years.

When it comes to capitalism, we are the undisputed kings.
We obsess about money and saving a few bucks by buying cheap products.
When it comes to religious obsession, we again excel at that.
When it comes to eating complete and utter garbage, you guessed it.
Most importantly for me, I feel our priorities are way off.

BUT...we do not live like Europe or Australia.
THEY place far more importance on Family than we do. It's just the way it is.
They take their vacations (all 4 weeks a year) and travel the world.
For the most part they are better educated at least at what I feel is important.

There is more passion about the simple things in life.

This all sounds wonderful and I really wish we had more of it here but I realize that these expectations are perhaps a pipe dream.

I'm not bashing the U.S. I just wish our lifestyle was a lot more balanced

And PLEASE, Parents……Teach your Kids some discipline and manners and get them off the damn candy and pop.
Roo, this is so "right on". I have never lived abroad, but I have traveled abroad and the differences between the US and Europe are amazing.

We think we're a society that puts much emphasis on family, but when you travel overseas, you see that we really don't. The obesity here is appalling. Our love for the automobile is a negative. Urban areas in Europe are wonderful. People walk and walk more. In Europe there are entire square blocks that are pedestrian centers - no autos allowed. The food in Europe is wonderful and much more holistic than ours. They don't eat meat tainted with antibiotics or hormones. People grocery shop several times a week and eat fresh food. As someone who is very interested in both local and international news, watching the news in Europe is delightful. The commentators are much more professional, the new is truly newsworthy and they're not filling time with fluff stories and evening daily "Did you Know" scare tactics. Their international news is much more objective. I could go on and on. Until someone lives or travels to other countries, it's very difficult to get them to intellectualize the differences. I love the USA and choose to live here. But there are many, many things about it that I wish were different.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:03 AM

5 posts, read 21,706 times
I can say I get Culture Shock in my own country USA. I live in NW Pennsylvania. It has a tiny population and the people are obsessed with hunting deer it actually a unofficial holiday.
Anyways I moved to Las Vegas Nevada for the first three days I was scared to leave my apartment After a while I went outside and the world had not ended. In fact i adjusted to life in Las Vegas very fast. I loved the 24 hour hassle and bustle But to my horror I moved back to NW Pennsylvania and everything was closed and everyone was indoors by 9 PM. It was weird not walking into a store and not find poker machines or hearing the singing of 10,000 slots machines. Was weird and discomforting.I most horrifying part that there was no Starbucks Coffee next door in fact i drove one time 78 miles just to have Starbucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World